Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers- May "08 (Read 594 times)

jules2

Ah cigars, I've given them up but promised myself one next Sunday when I've finished my half ( plus hopefully a few beers if I can get a lift )

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Same 10k as SimonR today. Had a decent run. Scheduled for a half marathon next Saturday. I plan to take it easy this week... not a lot of miles but plan to run at a decent pace. Cigar sounds like a plan after next week's race. Jason
      mark_v_socal

Hello everyone! Love this site and the log is tremendous! My wife and I are running our first half of the year next weekend - Santa Barbara Wine Country Half! This will be our first time running this half marathon ... it's supposed to be uphill for the first half, and downhill for the back half. My PR is 2:08:42 back in November in Monterey. I don't thing I'll be able to get very close to that considering the hilly nature of this course. But you never know! I'll check back in next weekend sometime. -Mark
          Mandy--nice job! Great report and photos, too. Simon--good job--you definitely deserve a good cigar. Jason--way to go and enjoy your week before your half next weekend. Mark--welcome, and good luck next weekend. Be sure to let us know how you & wife do.
            After my 5k race on Saturday, my 13 year old ds decided to start running. He went with me Sunday evening. I did an easy 2 miles, and he ran a mile and then ran/walked the rest. He is signing up to run the mile fun run during my next 5k in two weeks. He's never been a really athletic kid (he's not aggressive enough for most sports), but I think he could do great at running.
              Wow Waytogomom.... That's Awesome I think. Talk About setting a positive example for your children..... Smile Entering Week 5 of HH and doing GREAT. Hubby surprised me with my own Garmin 205 this weekend, and I had my 5 mile long run yesterday and maintained a 12:00 mile pace and felt amazing afterward. I continue to be astonished at how resilient my legs are becoming as I continue to slow down and run easier. Happy Monday.... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Cheffy, great job! Kudos to your dh for the Garmin, too. I'm expecting my 205 sometime this week--can't wait!
                  Ran the 10 miles yesterday with no problems. Legs and endurance held up well. Really liked having the water belt. I could take a drink whenever I wanted, but in the long run, I only drank about 10 oz of water and a couple of oz of gatorade. This week there is a lot going on, so I've got to shuffle my schedule. Have to run tonight rather than being off, but will do an easy 5K. Will be off Wed, Friday and Sunday this week, so I'll probably do my long run on Saturday.
                  I'm planning on running 10 miles tomorrow (Sun 5/4). I ran 8 1/2 last week and felt really good. My longest run up to this year was 6.5 and I've been increasing a mile or so every week, except tomorrow will be a 1 1/2 mile increase. I've set it up, so that it's the same course I ran last Sunday up to the 8.5, at that point if I'm tired or hurting I can quit or continue a little further. The best news is that my water belt arrived yesterday (ordered it on Wednesday) so I'll be able to carry water and Gatorade with me rather than stash bottles and go back and pick them up and I can sip whenever I want. On the negative side, I've realized that the 1/2 M I'm planning on running Sun June 1st is only 6 days after my 5 miler (Memorial day) and it's a tough 5 miler. I'll really have to plan an easy week with lots of rest.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

HOORAY, Cheffy! You will love your Garmin. It sure makes you slow down when you need to! Waytogomom, we've found running to be a great sport for our kids. They're not aggressive at sports, either. I would tell them to go for the ball in soccer, but they just didn't have that killer instinct! They'd run up and down the field quite well, but not be very involved in offense OR defense, lol. Running is much better for them. It's also a nice way to avoid all the politics that happen on a lot of teams in our town. Good luck to you both in your races! 4 of the 5 us in our family are running a 5k this Sunday - oldest son can't since he's in the middle of outdoor track season, and he is already racing the mile and two-mile every week.
                      waytogomom: That is great that he decided to to run with you. I have been trying, gently, to convince my son to start running with me. He is a soph, and not athletic at all. However, he has the build for it...long legs, slender. The xc coach tried to get him to join up at the end of his freshman year, but he didn't want to. I've asked him a few times if he would like to come out and run with me..I run slow, for pete's sake! But, to no avail. "Well Mom...there's a major problem with me running cross country......I don't like to run". Yes, that will tend to put a damper on things. Smile Hoping to get my 10 year old daughter to start running, since she decided to not play soccer anymore. MTA: My official training starts next Saturday. I ran a fairly easy 4.2 mile long run this past Saturday. I am glad to have a new goal on the horizon (AFC Half) and a group to run with on Saturdays.
                      Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                        My 16 year old daughter has been in dance since she was 3, and recently stopped. She was telling me that she needed to get into some form of exercise. I looked at her and smiled, and before I could even get the words out, she said, "NOT running!" Teresa, my son sounds just like your kids. He would always run up & down the field just on the outskirts of the action in soccer & football. Same thing on the basketball court. He's ready to get out there again today--I'm excited about this!
                          Welcome Mark from Socal! I would have thought the Monterey peninsular was a hilly place to run, I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck in Mississauga, Jason! We seem to be building a group of runners doing close to the same times, me, you, Mandy and several others, good for comparing notes. Gidget my son is opposite to yours, shortish and built like a weight lifter, but has run a couple of marathons! (He is 22yo, so can make up his own mind what sports he likes.) Nice run, LPH. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Waytogomom, I'll be thinking about your son! He's starting at the same age that my 15-year-old did. I love your avatar! When I was visiting Austin, we went to the Bullock Museum and watched the Imax movie about Texas. Oh, my goodness, I was crying by the end, it made me so homesick. I do miss living in Texas! No place like it, as much as I love living in Maine. 8 1/2 miles for me with my running partner this morning. It felt EASY!!! I'm in shock. It was the hilliest run of that length I've ever done, too. It's so exciting to see progress. Have a great day!
                              What did you pick for the cab, something good?
                              Did my 10k today, a week after my hilly half marathon. I did only a single, slow training run this week, of 5k, and have only been running about 17 miles a week on average for the last 2 months, so surprised and very pleased to run 46:19! Stood knee deep in very cold pond water this afternoon changing the pump and cleaning out leaves and debris from last fall- I thought weekends were for relaxing? Going to have a nice Dominican cigar and a couple of glasses of cabernet to celebrate. Simon.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Good job on the run, Teresa! I hope my son does stick with it. And isn't Texas just.....the BEST?