Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers- May "08 (Read 594 times)

Yeah for me, I upped my mileage to 12 today. Has been an odd week running as I really had to shift my schedule around, tomorrow should be my long day, but something called mother's day is conflicting. The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting and not sure if I'll be able to get another long run in, that's why I went form 10 to 12. Felt really good, except at mile 11 1/4 I had a pretty long hill probably close to a half M (not steep though) but the last quarter or so was a steep downhill that I just coasted, didn't want to push it. Keep my pace down more today too.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go, LPH! My last long run was 10, so I think I will shoot for 10.5 this week. I can't quite picture 12 yet! Shocked I'm glad you were able to make it that far!
        Well, I've changed my plans for the next couple of weeks. I was going to make last weekend my last long run before my HM on June 1st because I wanted to do a practice run this coming weekend for a tough 5 Miler coming up on Memorial Day. I've decided to skip the practice run. I'll do a long run again this weekend 12-13 miles and let the chips fall where they may for my 5 miler on Memorial day. It'll only be the 2nd time I've run it and my first time two years ago was a very dissappointing 45 minutes with a lot of walking on the hills. I think I'm in a lot better condition now and I know I can beat 45 minutes, the question is, can I beat my goal of 40? Will have to wait and see.

LPH

good plan lph if your main goal is the half. it so hard to focus on two different races so close together. i just finished a recovery week following the nelson half. legs feel in ok shape now so i'll be putting in 2 big weeks before tapering again for christchurch half on the 1st june.
            You guys may be bringing up the next generation of elite runners! Like Mandy, I have been taking it (very) easy, over the weekend I cleared a lot of brush in the back yard and planted hosta and astilbe, might count as cross training? Ran about 8 miles at 9 mintes per mile tonight; wish I could tell you it was the other way around, but that's probably a year away... Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jules2

Ran my second half of the year, in the first one I was injured in the second one it was hot! I finished in 1:35:24 which on paper was a disappointing result but due to the heat ( it was 31c on my car thermometer at the end ) it was not too bad considering I didn't run much in March. I think the general temperature was around 26 / 27C. I ran about 7's for the first three / four miles but then took my time as I didn't want to risk blowing up. In 2003 I ran it in 1:29:25 and came 98th this year I came 105th but six minutes slower. There were 860 finishers but I understand there were a lot of DNF's and at least four people ended up in hospital. So all I'm looking for now is a flat course on a cool day and no injury.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Prince of Fatness

Nice race there, Jules, and on a hot day to boot. You sure are speedy. Recover well and good luck with your next race.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Nice race there, Jules, and on a hot day to boot. You sure are speedy. Recover well and good luck with your next race.

Not at it at all. 

Good job, Jules! Yesterday evening I ran my longest ever outdoor run at 4 miles. I was surprised that although I was tired, I wasn't on the verge of dying!
                      Did you make the 10.5?
                      Way to go, LPH! My last long run was 10, so I think I will shoot for 10.5 this week. I can't quite picture 12 yet! Shocked I'm glad you were able to make it that far!

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Did you make the 10.5?
                        Thanks for asking, lph. Yes, I did! I must say, it was hard! My time was 1:58:32. My running partner reached her planned 8.5, then I kept going. Part of the time, we were right next to the ocean and running directly into a strong wind. In the past, we would have stopped, but we toughed it out. After the run, we had to walk over 2 miles to get back to her house. We need to plan better, or leave a car in a strategic place. Here is the route we took (Portland, Maine):
                          finally checking in here! Let's see....ran with my training group for our official first long run last Saturday--3 miles! I ran with a girl who was in my pace group while training for the Carlsbad Marathon...she was doing a recovery run after running Big Sur...so she was glad to run three. Her pace is just a tad bit faster than mine, which accounted for the blazingly fast 38:00 time for our 3 miles...which included 2 walk breaks (for me). Ran 3.5 on the tm on Monday, but have not run since--some sort of flu bug gpoing around, and I didn't want to go outand run, only to have to remain sick and end up blowing off our long run of 4 miles this Saturday. Hopefully I'll have recovered enough tomorrow to get in 2 miles.
                          Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                            Teresa, looks like a great route. Most of my long run is along the river, running up one side, crossing the bridge and back down the other side. Very pretty and very interesting. It's one of the most popular fishing spots in the State, so always fishermen around and fun to watch them reeling in their catch. Also takes me past the little league field where mopst people know me as Ump (Umpire). What map did you use to create, save and publish your route?
                            Thanks for asking, lph. Yes, I did! I must say, it was hard! My time was 1:58:32. My running partner reached her planned 8.5, then I kept going. Part of the time, we were right next to the ocean and running directly into a strong wind. In the past, we would have stopped, but we toughed it out. After the run, we had to walk over 2 miles to get back to her house. We need to plan better, or leave a car in a strategic place. Here is the route we took (Portland, Maine):

LPH

Ran my first race of the year today. We had a United Way Run at work, a 5K. It's a certified course and finishes with a good hill before leaving 200M flat to the finish line. I was planning on 7:30 pace, but ended up with a 22:38 7:17 pace. First time I've run this course and race, so I can't compare. My PR for the 5K is 2146 7:02 pace and I set that last year shattering my previous PR of 24:03. I usually don't even run my first race until late July and PRs were set in Aug and Sept, so I'm like way ahead of last year and not even working on speed yet. Plan to run at least 12M again this Sunday, may even do 13+ as it will be my last long run before my HM on June 1
                              Well, I've changed my plans for the next couple of weeks. I was going to make last weekend my last long run before my HM on June 1st because I wanted to do a practice run this coming weekend for a tough 5 Miler coming up on Memorial Day. I've decided to skip the practice run. I'll do a long run again this weekend 12-13 miles and let the chips fall where they may for my 5 miler on Memorial day. It'll only be the 2nd time I've run it and my first time two years ago was a very dissappointing 45 minutes with a lot of walking on the hills. I think I'm in a lot better condition now and I know I can beat 45 minutes, the question is, can I beat my goal of 40? Will have to wait and see.

LPH

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Congratulations, lph!! That's blazing fast. Do you have a new goal?? I use SportTracks - I downloaded the software from www.SportTracks.com. It will show your route on the satellite photo. Then if you right-click it, you can save the view to your computer. This is the first time I've tried posting a route, and it was easy! Do you have a Garmin? I transfer the info from my 305 onto my computer, then open SportTracks. If you have questions, feel free to ask! I learned about this from someone else on RA. Teresa