Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers- May "08 (Read 594 times)

I feel so inferior to all you speedy people.... I am traveling on business this week, and I am forced to " try" to run on Dreamills of the hotel quality. I had to run 4 miles and thought I would puke from heat, and boredom. I was supposed to do a 2 mile or cross train yesterday, but where I stayed last night, they had an electrical storm the night before and the auto locks on the fitness center shorted out, as well as the equipment. no run. Since I ran my butt off with my work gig, between several different venues, I considered it my Xtrain..... Wink Here it is Thursday evening, I am SHOT. Sleeping like shit, feel worn out. should run 4 today, but I really feel like i should not, as my body is just not right. I am going to try for tomorrow morning, although it is supposed to be a rest day..... I am afraid of not getting the miles in. I get back home on Saturday evening. If I don't run tomorrow, will I still be okay to run my 6 on Sunday or should I scale it back?

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I'll check out the website tomorrow. I don't own a Garmin. I was thinking about it, but didn't like the size of it on my wrist. I actually don't like any jewlery or anything and only wear a watch out of necessity. As for goals for the year. Well for the two 5K races that I ran duplicate 21:47 (7:02 pace) last year, my goal is to have a sub 7 pace For my best 5M, which was 37:48 (or something) to break 37 My first 10K was a 47:14 and I wan to do a 46:30 And then of course there is my Very first HM coming up. My goal is to finish with a 8:00-8:05 pace. So not trying to do anything real agressive this year, especially with the improvement I had last year.
      Wow, Congratulations, lph!! That's blazing fast. Do you have a new goal?? I use SportTracks - I downloaded the software from www.SportTracks.com. It will show your route on the satellite photo. Then if you right-click it, you can save the view to your computer. This is the first time I've tried posting a route, and it was easy! Do you have a Garmin? I transfer the info from my 305 onto my computer, then open SportTracks. If you have questions, feel free to ask! I learned about this from someone else on RA. Teresa

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cool, lph. I guess "agressive" is defined differently for different people! Shocked I found the Garmin a little annoying at first, but now I don't even think about it. I think it's the best thing I ever bought! I love just heading out, running wherever I want, and knowing how far I've gone. Especially on my long runs, it's so reassuring to see those miles ticking by. I also like having a record of all my runs when I'm on vacation! I can't wait to try it out in London and South Africa next November (I'm going back for a second time with my daughter and my parents - my dad is a professor who lectures all over the world).
        C-R

I just got my garmin and can't figure out how I managed without one. Its a little big but after about two miles I hardly noticed it other than the chimes when I exceeded my HR settings. Well worth the investment. I have a short 5 miler today in preparation for the inaugral Geist HM tomorrow morning. Looking to better 2 hrs. on this one and I'll send along a report for all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Cheffy, don't worry about missing an occaisional run, i don't think it makes much difference, these things happen. Well done on your race LPH, that's a nice time! Teresa it looks like you run by the sea, how I envy you! I lived in Nova Scotia for 3 years while attending Dalhousie University, also very pretty area and much like the parts of Maine I have visited. Nice job on the long runs recently! I took my comfy old Saucony's out for an easy 10k last night, got to start building my mileage back up. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I feel so inferior to all you speedy people.... I am traveling on business this week, and I am forced to " try" to run on Dreamills of the hotel quality. Here it is Thursday evening, I am SHOT. Sleeping like shit, feel worn out. should run 4 today, but I really feel like i should not, as my body is just not right. I am going to try for tomorrow morning, although it is supposed to be a rest day..... I am afraid of not getting the miles in. I get back home on Saturday evening. If I don't run tomorrow, will I still be okay to run my 6 on Sunday or should I scale it back?
              Cheffy..I was out of town the first part of this week also. Was able to run the TM (DM?) on Monday, but Tuesday, I was conducting class all day, couldn't get up in the morning to run(though I woke up every hour on the hour--darn hotel rooms/beds and could hear the man in the room next to me snoring ALL NIGHT)...drove home Tuesday night, got in late, and woke up Wed with some flu bug, so didn't run W or Th. My hope is to get in at least two miles today...feeling a bit better. Tomorrow is a four mile run.
              Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Simon! Yes, I love running in Maine. It's beautiful every time I run. I don't think I would like to go back to living away from the ocean! Good luck getting your mileage back up! I took two days off, and then ran 5.1 miles this morning with my running partner. We included a couple of long hills, and I'm glad they're getting easier. I'm hoping for 6 miles tomorrow to get me up to 32 for the week. Getting to 35 is harder than I thought! Have a good weekend!
                  I haven't checked in this month, too busy running!!! Long run yesterday of 11 miles. There were a few small walk breaks in the second half but definitely felt better than 2 weeks ago when my running partner and I ran 10. We needed to experiment with hydration/fuel. Yesterday I used Cliff shot blocks. Definitely have decided I can't do anymore than one of those at a time. Maybe instead of chewing 3 of them at one time I could space them out a little. Our first HM is scheduled for 3 weeks from tomorrow. We are doing a 20K race next Saturday, knowing that we aren't out to race it but to do it as a training run with another chance to experiment with how often to hydrate and/or fuel. Last month we did a 15K with no re-fueling. I felt good; my strategy was water on one stop, then sports drink the next one and continued like that. I've also been trying different shirts/shorts/bras/socks to decide just which combination is the most comfortable. We did a sort of easy 5 today. About 15 degrees cooler than yesterday. Six months ago I didn't know if I could complete a HM. Today I'm certain I can finish it but am questioning my original target finish time. I've said all along I'd like to finish <2:30. yesterday's 11 miles took 2:14 so i'm hoping that adrenaline and the overall downhill course will work in my favor. i haven't run anything less than 4 miles in weeks. teresa, my daughter (23yrs old) ran with us yesterday and said "i'm turning around at the 3 mile mark." her longest run to date had been about 3.5 miles. she's been so busy in college (pursuing ot degree) she hasn't time to train for hm so she's going to be there for moral support. she ran track in hs like your son, she went to state's in 4 x 800. she ran the anchor, had heckuva kick. good luck to anyone racing this weekend. good running to all and everyone please stay healthy.!! yesterday's="" 11="" miles="" took="" 2:14="" so="" i'm="" hoping="" that="" adrenaline="" and="" the="" overall="" downhill="" course="" will="" work="" in="" my="" favor.="" i="" haven't="" run="" anything="" less="" than="" 4="" miles="" in="" weeks.="" teresa,="" my="" daughter="" (23yrs="" old)="" ran="" with="" us="" yesterday="" and="" said="" "i'm="" turning="" around="" at="" the="" 3="" mile="" mark."="" her="" longest="" run="" to="" date="" had="" been="" about="" 3.5="" miles.="" she's="" been="" so="" busy="" in="" college="" (pursuing="" ot="" degree)="" she="" hasn't="" time="" to="" train="" for="" hm="" so="" she's="" going="" to="" be="" there="" for="" moral="" support.="" she="" ran="" track="" in="" hs="" like="" your="" son,="" she="" went="" to="" state's="" in="" 4="" x="" 800.="" she="" ran="" the="" anchor,="" had="" heckuva="" kick.="" good="" luck="" to="" anyone="" racing="" this="" weekend.="" good="" running="" to="" all="" and="" everyone="" please="" stay=""></2:30. yesterday's 11 miles took 2:14 so i'm hoping that adrenaline and the overall downhill course will work in my favor. i haven't run anything less than 4 miles in weeks. teresa, my daughter (23yrs old) ran with us yesterday and said "i'm turning around at the 3 mile mark." her longest run to date had been about 3.5 miles. she's been so busy in college (pursuing ot degree) she hasn't time to train for hm so she's going to be there for moral support. she ran track in hs like your son, she went to state's in 4 x 800. she ran the anchor, had heckuva kick. good luck to anyone racing this weekend. good running to all and everyone please stay healthy.!!>
                  Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                    Thanks Simon. I'm very pleased with it. Like I said, I haven't worked on any speedwork yet this year. Considering that prior to last year, my best pace for a 5K was something like a 7:51, this was pretty good for so early in the year. Last year my 5M and 10K pace were even faster than my previous 5K pace.
                    Cheffy, don't worry about missing an occaisional run, i don't think it makes much difference, these things happen. Well done on your race LPH, that's a nice time! Teresa it looks like you run by the sea, how I envy you! I lived in Nova Scotia for 3 years while attending Dalhousie University, also very pretty area and much like the parts of Maine I have visited. Nice job on the long runs recently! I took my comfy old Saucony's out for an easy 10k last night, got to start building my mileage back up. Simon.

LPH

My report for today and I'm really "HAPPY" Well I did it, I ran 13.3 today (not exact, could be a little more or a litle less). Went out real easy but found at the 4 mile mark, I was running just over an 8 minute pace. I kept trying to slow down and then I would hit the rolling hills and find myself speeding up again. Any way, I finished in 1:48 a 8:09 pace. I'm very pleased and although I wore my waterbelt, I only consumed 16 oz of water. I like having the belt, because I can take small sips anytime I want instead of having to take as much as you can get at a water station. I need to inquire if I can wear my belt for my HM. So this was my last long run before my HM on June 1st. As I'm running a tough 5 miler on Memorial day.

LPH

hi lph - i've never heard of a race that doesn't let you wear a water belt. i don't use them personally but lots of people do. well done on your long run - it sounds as though you know you ran far too fast for a training run - but it must give you lots of confidence for 1st June.
                          Glad to see you back, Marsha. I would not worry too much about gels and such on a half marathon; I really don't think you need anything except water, at least that has been my experience. I have never run further than 18 miles, I think that's getting close to the point where more calories can help restore your energy level, but it may be different for different individuals. Ran both Saturday and Sunday in cold and rain, about 30 miles for the week, best week in a long time. Broke in my new Reebok Trinity KFS shoes, quite happy with them as trainers, but will probably race in the Asics, which I think are lighter. Simon. WOFTAM Racing - Waste Of Time And Money, (when she's really annoyed the "f" stands for something too.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marsha, I just saw your post. Congrats on the 11 miles - that's what I'm trying tomorrow. Great for your daughter, too! I'm always blabbing about DS15 (had you noticed?). I mentioned him to a nurse practitioner this morning (whom I'd never seen before), and it turns out her daughter is in his grade at the same high school, and on the track team!! She is also a fast runner. The funniest part - her main competition on the team is a girl named Liza LePage, and my son's chief rival is her twin brother, James! I'll probably see this nurse Friday at the next meet. Is that a small world or what?
                              Hi Marsha - just wanted to say I totally agree with Simon about gels for a HM - completely unnecessary. Just make sure you are properly fuelled before the race.
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

For my 11-mile run at 8 am tomorrow, should I eat anything first?