Half Marathon Trainers

December! It's December! (Read 33 times)

redleaf

Started December off with a 10k race that I'm waiting on the official time for. Will be ending it with a half marathon on the 31st. What's your December look like?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

I just hit my weekly PR of 51.7 miles on the last week of Nov. On Dec 14 I will be doing my first full, I had to get this off my bucket list before I get any older. The first 2 weeks will be taper, the last 2 weeks will be recovery. Oh, I just registered/signed up for Half Fanatics, got me a 1 moon level status.

red, looking forward to hearing about it.

Zelanie

Hey Mitch- congrats on the 50-mile week!  Enjoy the taper now!

redleaf- Sounds like a busy month for you!

I have a question for any Canadians that might be around.  We play a lot of games as a family, and I keep hearing about Crokinole.  I'm sure it would be fun, but am having sticker shock over the price of a board.  Is it worth it?

Nice 10k Redleaf, next target 60 minutes!

Nice mileage Mitch, make sure you taper properly and take it easy for the first half of your marathon.

Zelanie I don't know the game so no advice.

I tried a little time trial today to have a baseline for my (lack of) fitness.

I started to run a 1km time trial, which I can do in 3:57 when I am fit. Today I had to stop at 700 metres and calculated I would have taken 4:26 for the kilometer even if I could have completed it at that pace! Very discouraging, but not unexpected, there is a long process ahead of me to get back into condition.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm doing a 1km fun walk on Saturday that I did the 5K run component of last year, but the reduction in effort is because my daughter (6 years old) wants to do it with me and the 5K run would be too much for her if it's really cold. (Daytime high is supposed to be -27*C so who knows what race time will be like). Other than that, I'm fighting lack og mojo to try the 1-mile-a-day-minimum-in-December run thing. Then I have a 5K on January 01 (Resolution Run).

Crokinole is fun. I wish I had the board my grandparents had. Sad

Simon, where did you do your time trial? Indoor or outdoor? If you were outside, the cold air or poor footing could affect you as well so it might not all be the change in fitness level.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

I have no clue what crokinole is.

I'm completely blaming CanadianMeg for this but I'm doing a mile a day thing for December. You all know I can't seem to manage the consistency part of running so I thought it would help. I'm on day 3 (duh, obviously). A short easy run yesterday after the race Sunday and a longer run today (8.5km/5.3 miles). We'll just have to see how it goes.

Hope everyone's well.

Oh and Simon - I am a long ways away from a sub 60-minute 10k. But I am hoping to be 20 minutes behind you at the Yonge St 10k in April.

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I have no clue what crokinole is.

I'm completely blaming CanadianMeg for this but I'm doing a mile a day thing for December. 

You are most welcome! Big grin

And this is a proper crokinole board. It must be this shape. No round ones. Lisa, think something like curling but you shoot from the edge similar to marbles.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Cyberic

Crokinole is pretty fun. In my family the interest has moved from these kind of games to video games in the past decade though. I think my kids would tire pretty fast of this game (like they do of most traditional board games).

Oh and Zelanie, I sometimes browse around the forum and find threads that have been around for a while, and saw a "before and after" post from you. Wow! My sincere congratulations!

I half-entered the december streak challenge on this forum. I'm not doing it correctly, but they still booked me. I play dek-hockey on tuesdays and don't want to run any more that day even though they suggested I do. I will run the 6 other days per week in december. So I will be "running" everyday, but I don't count dek-hockey as a "running" activity per se just like playing soccer doesn't count as running. So I don't think I'm actually doing the challenge. I'm following the challenge spirit though. But count or not, I'm a little  worried that not taking rest days might not be such a good idea.

Wow, Meg! That is bitterly cold.

My time trial was outdoor but in good conditions. In fact, if anything, it was slightly downhill.

Redleaf, the challenge is on!

Eric, my son is 27 and grew up with video games and electronics. I never developed any interest in them myself.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Redleaf, congrats on your 10k PR.

Hog4life, awesome job with your weekly mileage PR.  Good luck on your Full next week!

For me, December is the home stretch in training for my first marathon.  I can let off the pedal in January (taper-race-recovery), so I've just got to stay strong through the holidays.

Zelanie

I decided to get the crokinole.  We actually do a fair bit of sitting around and playing games with adults at family get togethers, and this might be a fun change of pace.

Cyberic- Thanks!  I feel very lucky to have lost the weight.  As far as the streak goes, I have gotten to the point where a few slow miles can leave me feeling just as fresh as not running at all most of the time.  I haven't really done an an official streak, but ended up putting together close to 2 weeks of daily running when I first was coming back from my knee injury.  But because each run was so short, it didn't seem to do any harm, even on an injured knee.   So I think you'll be fine as long as you pay attention to how you're feeling.  Good luck!

Meg- Yikes, that is cold!  Makes me feel better about the 19 F here.  I hope that you and your daughter have a good time!

hog4life

I'm in serious taper mode and feeling the funk. I bailed on my 4 miler this moring, it was 39* and raining.

redleaf

7 days in a row. I've never run 7 days in a row before. Now the shortest was only a little over a mile and a half but that was also the day after my 10k pr.

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I half-entered the december streak challenge on this forum. I'm not doing it correctly, but they still booked me. I play dek-hockey on tuesdays and don't want to run any more that day even though they suggested I do. I will run the 6 other days per week in december. So I will be "running" everyday, but I don't count dek-hockey as a "running" activity per se just like playing soccer doesn't count as running. So I don't think I'm actually doing the challenge. I'm following the challenge spirit though. But count or not, I'm a little  worried that not taking rest days might not be such a good idea.

Nothing wrong with doing a December Activity streak. Some people are doing all running, but I do know some who are running and walking or just walking or just some sort of activity.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

testing

www.testing.com

Just ignore this.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.