Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - February '08 (Read 625 times)

wbertha

Just my two cents worth because I'm really not that experienced as a runner, but sometimes it seems like I can get 500 plus miles on a pair of shoes and then the next time I top out about 350. Funny thing is that I always buy the same type of shoe and make sure to have it fitted at the Fleet Feet store. Not a good week at all for my running. I signed up for the half marathon in Fargo on May 17th and ever since things seem to be just falling apart. After over 13 inches of snow yesterday, my gym was closed. (as if I could have gotten there thru the snow drifts anyway) Then today, I am planning to make amends for my non-running day yesterday and head to the gym straight from work. I go to a small all women's gym that is not far from my home. It is nothing fancy but serves my purpose and is reasonably priced. So anyway, I pull into the parking lot and notice that there are no cars in the lot and the gym is dark. The sign on the door indicated that they closed!!! Dead Drove home and did 4 miserable miles on my antique treadmill. Very, very unpleasant. So tomorrow after work, it is off to a new gym. Plan to take my workout clothes with and get in at least a couple of miles after I join. The new gym is new, big and fancy. Also, it is a bit more pricey but hopefully it will stay in business. Good runs to all, wbertha
      Wbertha, good luck with the new gym, hope they don't ask you to pay a year in advance, a notoriously flaky industry. No runs for me since Tuesday, heavy snowfalls gave me a shovelling "workout" to strengthen my lower back, shoulders and flabdominals! Hope to get out tonight, and planning a longer-than-usual long run this weekend. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

5.2 easy this evening. Off until Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Whoo hoo, another personal best for me - 6.5 miles! It was very challenging - 16 degrees and the roads were very bumpy with ice and clumps of snow. It was like trail running! And after the first half block, I knew it was going to be hard - one of those days where my legs felt heavy. My running partner made it 5.3 miles, but I kept going. Whew! It took me 1:18:26, so my pace was 12:04. Slower than my pace from my last long run, but considering the conditions, I'm happy. It's a good feeling to know I can stick it out and just keep slogging. Also, I can run half a half marathon right now, with 7 1/2 months to go until my race. Enjoy the weekend, everyone! Teresa

My bike is my therapist

...It was very challenging - 16 degrees and the roads were very bumpy with ice and clumps of snow. It was like trail running! And after the first half block, I knew it was going to be hard - one of those days where my legs felt heavy. My running partner made it 5.3 miles, but I kept going...
            You should get credit for 10 miles!! Big grin
            "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
            1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking
            5000 Mile Club
            Half Marathon Trainers
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

You should get credit for 10 miles!! Big grin
              Thanks, I'll take it! That should be enough credit for a nap, I would think. Cool
              wbertha

definitely earned the nap!!! Signed up at the new gym which of course met another initiation fee. Oh well, at least I have the option of another gym. Did 4 miles and some strength/core work on Friday evening. Gave the new gym a real test run today...7 miles on the treadmill. Any time I get to 7, I feel good. Hey, it is a mental thing in that I am now more than half way towards completing my half marathon. Just wish we could get some decent weather. The high for tomorrow (Sunday) is predicted to be a minus 1. Don't even know how you can call that a high. Dead wbertha

Prince of Fatness

13.5 this morning, giving me a little under 37 for the week.

Not at it at all. 

ohanapecosh

20 miles this week. I got a nasty cold / sore throat / headache and didn't run Sunday, Monday or Tuesday and kind of came back gradually. The week was kind of a wash. I passed on the 10 mile long run scheduled, and will basically do what was scheduled for this week next week. I decided to run a 5K race today despite having been sick. It was basically my first fast run of the season. I haven't really done any speedwork. Anyway, I ended up running 23:15, a bit slower than I'd hoped, but not bad. I had hoped to break 23:00. The course was a bit crowded, so there was a lot of weaving around during the first mile. Also, I don't wear a watch when I run, and so I kind of depend on splits being called out at the mile and 2 mile marks during a 5K, which they weren't today. My first half marathon, I basically had no clue how fast I was going until I reached the halfway point, where they had a clock! I guess I should start wearing a watch during races. Anyway, it was probably good to do a little fast running. During the last mile, the thought "I don't want to do a half marathon" definitely passed through my head as I thought how painful just a 5K was.
                    wbertha

I've only done two half marathons but to me they seem to have a completely different atmosphere and mind set than a 5K. Did 4 miles on the treadmill at the new gym today and then tried out the track. Did half a mile on it and liked it. Don't know that I would try it for a long run as it is 14 laps to a mile. But am thinking of doing at least a part of my short Tuesday and Thursday runs on the track. It just felt more like running and less like being a hamster. wbertha
                      marflair

Hi all, I am so sick of the treadmill! So far, 6 is my longest run on it and I will need to do 7 on it this weekend if it doesn't warm up or stop snowing by then. This training for a half in the winter is tough! Congrats on your 5k Pinwheel. You are faster than I can dream to be! I had a friend do the Bronx half this weekend in 1:40 - amazing in those conditions! Bertha, an indoor track is a nice change if you don't get too dizzy! Any ideas on how to keep track of laps? Simon, that snow shoveling is great cross training! Theresa, good for you for getting an outside run in. It is so much harder in the snow and cold. I will try to remember that next August! 14 miles for me this week. I only run 3 days a week so that is a good amount for me at this stage. Also got 2 fast walking on the teadmill and 2 on the elliptical, plus 3 ST workouts. Take care all. More snow coming our way tomorrow night (surprise, surprise) Mary
                          Hi everyone Big grin ... Thought i'd introduce myself but there should be a few out there that recognise my name! I'm from CR and still post there, but thought i'd try here too. I've just joined the 1000 miles club so I guess I need all the motivation I can get. I'm running my first HM on 9th March. I'm up to about 25MPW and a long run of 10+, but am VERY nervous about it. Four weeks and counting! Cara

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

Ringmaster

Hi, all. Some tough conditions out there for some of you (but like Mary says, you get credit for cross training when you shovel snow!). I'm just hoping it's under 70 degrees when the gun goes off in Ft Lauderdale this weekend. I have a Fleet Feet store about 45 min from me, so maybe I'll go see what they recommend. What are the odds that I'll find shoes at good prices at my expo this weekend? Sorry about your gym, wbertha. Hope the new one is a good fit. The track will be a good break from the 'mill, at least until you can get outside again. Good for you doing 7 on the treadmill--my max is still 6. Pinwheel, you're certainly faster than I am--I don't think I could run a 5K in 23 minutes if you put wings on my sneaks! Cara, welcome! I'm running my first half too--on Sunday! Starting to get butterflies . . . Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

wbertha

marflair, went out this weekend and bought a lap counter. After having run only a half mile on the gym track (7 laps) I was already having trouble counting so knew that I would need help. 70 degrees...WOW...that sounds wonderful. Guess I've been doing a lot more "cross training" than I realized. We have had the second snowiest winter on record for this area and we still have several winter weeks left. Got an email from DD today. She is suggesting we think about doing a 3 day 60 mile run/walk for breast cancer next year. It all looked really good until I read where you have to raise $2200 in donations before you can even register. Guess this will NOT be an event I will even consider. I refuse to ask people for donations no matter how good the cause. Managed 21 miles last week. Hope to work up to about 26 mpw soon. That seems to be the maximum that my body can handle on a weekly basis. Plus, I am so slow that to do more would interfere with the rest of my life. As it is now, running eats up a big chunk of my free time but it is so worth it. chamblin, welcome. Several of us are CR refugees and the rest are just really nice people. Karina, Fleet Feet is my favorite shoe store! wbertha

Prince of Fatness

5.6 easy this evening with wind chills in the single digits. I was bundled up just right, and it turned out to be a good run. Off until Wednesday, when temps are supposed to be warmer.

Not at it at all.