Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - February '08 (Read 625 times)

marflair

3 more on the treadmill tonight! I shut it off accidently 3 times - I hate it when that happens! Bertha, a lap counter is a great idea. Cara, you are really ready - you will do great! It looks like we might be in the 20's this weekend - maybe I can do my long run outside! Mary
    wbertha

I'm hoping for the high 20's or maybe even the 30's this weekend. Would really, really like to get in a run outside. Back to the gym tonight. Did 3 easy miles on the treadmill and then some "speed work" as in half a mile on the track. Was really slow but definitely felt good. Then finished off with about 20 minutes of weights/core work. Could have spent more than 20 but it was snowing like crazy outside and I needed to get home. Think spring will ever get here???? Confused wbertha

Prince of Fatness

7.3 miles in some light rain this evening. I decided to keep in the immediate neighborhood due to the slushy mess left over from the snow and rain we received. 8 laps around the block.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Did 4 easy miles on the treadmill at the gym tonight and then 14 laps on the track. Hey, 14 laps sounds much more impressive than 1 mile on the track. Must have been kind of like your 8 trips around the block. wbertha
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Housebound in Maine. 8-10 inches of snow overnight, and then heavy rain this afternoon. Ice, flooding, you name it. They're asking people not to travel unless absolutely necessary. I would have gone to the Y, though, but the wimps CLOSED! Sigh. Tomorrow should be even worse - the whole area will be one gigantic ice skating rink! I have to figure out how to get the kids down the road to the bus stop. Eek!

Prince of Fatness

Housebound in Maine. 8-10 inches of snow overnight, and then heavy rain this afternoon. Ice, flooding, you name it.
              Sounds like here, except we only had about 3 inches of snow, then a bunch of sleet. Then we got about 3 inches of rain on top of that. What a mess. Then this morning it dipped back into the low 20's, so anyone that didn't clear their driveway yesterday woke up to the skating rink this morning. Luckily it is supposed to be sunny and around 40 today.

Not at it at all. 

Housebound in Maine. 8-10 inches of snow overnight, and then heavy rain this afternoon. Ice, flooding, you name it. They're asking people not to travel unless absolutely necessary. I would have gone to the Y, though, but the wimps CLOSED! Sigh. Tomorrow should be even worse - the whole area will be one gigantic ice skating rink! I have to figure out how to get the kids down the road to the bus stop. Eek!
                Sounds like here. Ran today, picking the way thru slush, ice, plowed snow, and water puddles. Hard to get the scheduled miles in between the weather and work.I'm a nurse in an ICCU/IMC and work two 8 hr and two 12 hr shifts/week ( supposedly my "rest" days). Then every day I'm off the phone rings asking for extra shifts and sometimes the 8 hr days turn into 12 hr days and I have NOT been able to make myself run after I've been "running" at work for 12 hrs. Working out after "running" at work for 8 hrs is hard enough. Anyways, I'll quit whining. I'm thinking that what's most important is getting the weekly long run in and as long as that gets progressively longer it won't matter that I haven't been able to run all the scheduled week miles. Am I being overly optimistic? As soon as we get thru February I think the weather won't be that much of a factor anymore.
                Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marsha, you DO have a challenging schedule! I know I'm very fortunate to work at home. I can take off whenever I want, for the most part (well, except for when I'm Mom the Taxi Driver). It looks like you're getting some good runs in, though, so keep up the good work! MrPH, hope you get to run outside tomorrow! I'm afraid it's going to still be too icy here. And the shoulders on the main road near our house are rapidly disappearing under the banks of snow. I made it 5.1 miles on the treadmill at the Y today, at least. I can't WAIT until I get to go home to Austin in April for 8 days! Of course, then I will be complaining about the heat. Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! Teresa
                  marflair

Winter is getting very old. I did 2.5 miles outside today but it is so hard getting through, even with yak trax. Our roads are uneven in the best of weather, but covered with snow, ice and snowmobile tracks makes navigation difficult. Marsha - you do have a tough schedule. I made it through my half only running 3 days a week. Hopefully you will get back on schedule after daylight savings and when the weather gets better. Mary

Prince of Fatness

I feel a little guilty, as this winter hasn't been that bad here in NJ. I don't think we've had over 10 inches of snow all winter. There's been cold spells, but I've been pretty much able to run without worrying about ice. That said, I got 5.3 in this evening, and there were a few icy patches. It was mostly runoff that started to freeze back up.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Back to the gym again tonight...2.5 on the treadmill followed by 1 mile on the track and then weights/core work. Didn't want to stay too late as it was once again starting to snow. Plus it is Valentine's Day and DH got home from work with a terrible cold and not feeling so good. So tonight ended up being my turn to cook, do dishes and prepare lunches. (Hope he feels better tomorrow.) Marsha, when and where is your next half marathon??? wbertha
                          Back to the gym again tonight...2.5 on the treadmill followed by 1 mile on the track and then weights/core work. Didn't want to stay too late as it was once again starting to snow. Plus it is Valentine's Day and DH got home from work with a terrible cold and not feeling so good. So tonight ended up being my turn to cook, do dishes and prepare lunches. (Hope he feels better tomorrow.) Marsha, when and where is your next half marathon??? wbertha
                          My FIRST HM is June 7th in Morgantown, WV. It claims to be WV's fastest HM as it drops 800 ft over the first 10 miles and is flat till the end.
                          Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                            I have been lazy this week! No real excuses as I know other people have been running. We had 2 feet (or 50cms. as we say) of snow over a 5 day period, but the ploughs were out and got it cleaned up fairly well. Long weekend this weekend so I plan to catch up a bit, trying for a longer long run this week so I could say I'm tapering. Good runs everyone! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Wow, I just can't relate to all your snow-related struggles. I have only seen snow once in my adult life and have never tried to run on it. I got in one six-miler and a couple four-milers this week, all on the treadmill, sadly. My half is tomorrow: wish me luck! Looks like it'll be 70 at 6 when the gun goes off, with the sun rising just as we make the turn on A1A, the beachfront road. They tell me it's a beautiful, albeit somewhat lonely, race. That's okay by my standards. I just want to run it and get my first one under my belt. I've got the whole butterflies-in-the-tummy thing going on but am reminding myself I've run the distance strong and will likely finish the thing in very close to two hours, if my training runs are any indication. I'm hoping for sunshine for all of you this weekend to melt some of your snow--or maybe some spring vacations on this side of the planet? K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Good luck with your half today, Vixidu! Hope you have a great time and write a race report. Weather cleared up yesterday, bright sunshine and a nice 12.3 km run (about 7.5 miles) at 5:33 per km, or 9 minute miles. Possibly a long one today, though I have a sore throat and may cut the run short. To Theresa, Phin, Marsha, Wbertha, Mary, in fact everyone who lives in the north, a few more weeks and we will be enjoying spring rain, and daffodils. Keep pushing through the winter, we're almost there! Simon, (about to go and chip ice off the car windows.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.