Half Marathon Trainers

HMT June 2012. (Read 438 times)

Welcome back Vino!

Milk Truck, all those long words mean you have a sore leg, right? Sorry to hear that- best wishes for a quick recovery! You have certainly had some obstacles to overcome in the last few years.

You can see by the goals you have achieved recently, Vegefrog, that your approach is working! I have nothing against socializing or beer, but the actual running is the main thing. I rarely run as part of a group, though I have found it tends to keep me on track as far as not missing workouts goes. I should try to get out on Wednesday nights with a local group.

I ran a 1500m time trial on a road near the house- not necessarily accurate distance, but I was around 6:20, so I am going to aim for 6:00 by the fall, and see if I can use a high school track so the distance is accurate.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

Milk Truck, all those long words mean you have a sore leg, right?

If by "sore" you mean "excrutiatingly painful whenever you flex the ankle as you stride and can barely push in the clutch in the car", then yes.

Cry

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

If by "sore" you mean "excrutiatingly painful whenever you flex the ankle as you stride and can barely push in the clutch in the car", then yes.

Cry

Andy - you drive a stick too? That's cool. Sucks on the rest of the stuff though. I hope yours is a quick fix this time.

Hey vino good to hear you are doing well.

Simon - Good luck with the shorter distance thing I will follow with interest.

Meg - Great 10k and don't worry about those walkers, just make sure they don't push back past you in the beer line at the end of the race Wink

LR - Hope you enjoy Iceland!

VF - I get much more out of running with folks than alone, though I don't get much of a chance to do it. Let us know how the groups work out for you.

Amy - I know you are probably posting in the 2k group but just because I am not going to get time to post there too.... "Hey!" Smile

I got back from Belize this weekend and did not run til Tuesday 10 days off (again!). A record year 2012 will not be! I am still struggling with the glute strain which is limiting my mileage and frequency of runs but at least, with the stretching, I seem to have the ITBS under control.

Belize was a blazing hot (126F,52C heat index), awesome, rewarding, humbling trip that I was truly blessed to have had an opportunity to go on with my family.... just not much running to report on Smile

Off to Europe next week... anyone know any good places to run in Rome?

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

HappyFeat

Hey Matt!! Did you get my PM?  Rome! That could be exciting. You must run somewhere "historic" and get someone to take your pic for us.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Wow Matt! You are a globetrotter. I am jealous Smile Glad the ITBS is getting better. Hopefully you can get back on track and add those miles back slowly but surely.

Simon, you are right. I have to keep in mind that the running is the main thing. If I don't get anything out of the runs, or if I find it's more social filler then actual workout, I will quit going. I can already tell that the group that meets for beer afterwards isn't gonna be my thing. They are also mostly single and all plan to hang out on other occasions. That won't be me, as I am happily married and can't really see myself fitting in there.

The other group though that meets biweekly is cool and I like that it's done by a shoe store. I think I will keep that one going as long as it doesn't interfere with my training schedules. Plus there is a guy and his wife in that group who live near me and we run the same trails, so that could come in handy for weekend long runs!!

MT are you going to be able to do your half this later this month?? You know I was just thinking as I was running the other day that I rarely hear of any runner getting an ankle injury. It's always knees or PF or ITB...There goes that idea! Hope it gets better soon.

Didn't mean to minimize your injury, MT, I just find the medical profession rather self-important with all their "doctor talk". You have my sincere sympathy!

Lots of lucky people traveling recently, hope you all enjoy your trips, agree it would be great to have a photo in running gear in front of the Trevi Fountain or Collisseum. If the latter, make sure you get a few of the stray cats in the background for authenticity.

Seven miles or 11k today with a fast mile at the end. Upper body workout yesterday.

an amazing likeness

No one has races or events listed in the calender for this weekend, so I'll skip the weekly race posting (hey...if that weekly post is just adding noise and just annoying anyone, let me know and I can stop posting it...).

No worries, Simon -- my reply to your post was intended to be much more tongue-in-cheek than it read. It's improving...I may even try jogging a few miles tonight to test the leg.

Vegefrog -- I'm still planning on running my next planned half for now. If my leg isn't up to it, I'll back out -- good thing I already got one in the books for June to keep the streak going, otherwise I'd be sweating it.  It will be interesting to what happens from two weeks of no real running and only a few light jogs.

At 85 years, my father is getting pretty frail...every year he waves off Father's day and is the guest of honor at dinner somewhat reluctantly...but he warms to it and we can get him to share a good story or two about dealing with 4 kids over the years.  At 90 years, my wife's father is still pretty hale and hearty. He loves being the center of attention and will throw on a paper crown and tackle the event with gusto. Quite the contrast.

Happy Father's Day! wishes to all you Dads, you're doing important work. (in my best Garrison Keillor voice)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

My Dad, unfortunately, died in 1982, but  my wife's stepfather came over last night. We went out to a dinner theatre, and next Sunday will go to the horse races- he is 94!

Happy Father's day to all the Dads!

I am planning to watch as much as possible of the 24hr. race at LeMans in France. A close friend went to France to watch it a few years ago shortly before cancer got him, so I will be thinking of him.

Hot(ter) weather making longer runs tough- all relative I suppose...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yes, Happy Father's Day to all the Dads here. I hope you get to do a celebratory run in honour of the day. Wink

So glad I switched up to do my long run yesterday (8m) and my easy today (5m) because it is cool and wet this morning. We were supposed to leave about now for my son's last ball game, but it got rained out. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

Nice solid LR for you, Meg and a great birthday present.Big grin Sounds like it went very well.

I've set aside my training plan at the moment, having had a relapse of my arch strain. I managed 6 miles on the TM yesterday with no foot pain, so I'll try that again today. The benefit of the TM is I can stop if the foot hurts. I found that concept doesn't work so well out on the road...I end up jogging home anyway.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Aw, I was hoping your foot would be feeling better. Are you icing it after runs at all or does that help?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

HappyFeat

Yes, definitely icing after helps and I'm doing that. Actually I think I'm over the hump because today went a lot better than yesterday and makes two days run in a row. I didn't have any pain today (just a sense of it lurking) and managed a faster pace. I did the tennis ball massage on both feet  before running and maybe that helped warm them up. I'm going to run on the road tomorrow and see how that goes.

I find that tennis ball trick very helpful in loosening up the plantar tendons or whatever they are under the foot after doing steep hills.

Very hot and humid for the next few days in my area, and I have to work a double shift on Thursday, so this week is not looking good from a training point of view. I will try to get out this evening for a while.

I am waiting anxiously today for news from my daughter who is having a baby today, her fourth. Gotta watch Facebook as communications with remote parts of Africa are not very reliable!

HappyFeat

Good news: I think I have my recent feet problems nailed to the latest pair of shoes (now in the trash can). It can sometimes be hard to know when a pair is "done." Tonight was pretty clear though. I've been alternating a pair of new and old shoes recently and I started out in the old shoes and by the end of a half mile, had pretty bad left arch pain. Changed to the new shoes and voila! had a painfree 7-mile tempo run: 2 m w/u - 10:00 - 9:30 - 10:00 - 9:30 - 1m c/d. Not bad considering I could not go faster than 11 mpm without pain in the last week wearing the old shoes.  Still iced after the run tonight and had done the tennis ball massage earlier.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! It's always great to find a cause, esp one you can get rid of like that. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292.