Half Marathon Trainers

Happy New Year - Half marathon trainers - January 2011 (Read 817 times)

Good to hear from you, Bobev, and congratulations on the retirement!

I have always heard what a great place Austin is- music, surrounding hilly countryside, wildflowers etc., must be a nice place to retire.

Keep it weird! (Austin joke..)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

RJ1

Got half marathon in two months time. Upto 20 miles a week so far. Does anyone have any tips? what interval i shoul be doing?. Probably looking at doing the half in 1hour37

Got half marathon in two months time. Upto 20 miles a week so far. Does anyone have any tips? what interval i shoul be doing?. Probably looking at doing the half in 1hour37

Hi RJ1

Is it your first half?  Its quite hard to give tips without knowing what you are doing now.  20 miles a week is good but you'd probably benefit from more.  How much of that is your long run?

If you make your log public you'll probably get better feedback.

Good luck!!

Ringmaster

Hi, all. I know I'm very late to the thread, and that you all haven't heard from me in six months. I'm relating to bobev's story. I ignored my symptoms of overtraining until I got shinsplints that stopped me cold on the very last long run in training for marathon #2--the one i was hoping to break 4 hours at! It was a very discouraging end to the year, and I ended up missing most of my goals, too, and ending the year on the bench.

I'm starting this year determined to be a more balanced runner. Though in the past I've shunned the gym, I'm making friends with it now, becoming familiar with some of the equipment (I'm told I have woefully weak hips and incredibly tight fascia all around, from it band to knees to shins). I refuse to quit running, so I have to improve or I'm doomed to repeat the cycle of injury. I'm also becoming committed to my yoga mat, spending hours at ab workouts and Pilates.

My first race of the year is coming up at the end of February. I dont have a time goal but I'm treating it as a celebration of the fact that I missed a larger injury in spite of my own stupidity and stubborness, and a recommitment to whole-body fitness.

Here's to a year of meeting our goals, large and small. Simon, I'm thinking of you, and thankful for the way your post puts my running in larger perspective. It IS just running, after all.

K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile