Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - January 2012 (Read 501 times)

Hey Matt -

I've tried the Garmin pacing function a couple times and decided I absolutely hated it.  The watch just chirps times at you with no idea of whether the pace is reasonable for your current run.  The HR monitor might help a bit, but from my experience the Garmin would continually beep at me to speed up and completely screw up my training.  Although there are days where I can run my 5k pace pretty easily, there are also days that I struggle to run my easy pace.  The Garmin draws no distinction here.  Although the idea of training zones is a nice one, it's much better to run by feel or HR than by pace.  You'll get a better workout if you are solidly within the comfort zone you should be - whether that is comfortably hard, all out, or unbearably slow.  Only your body can tell you what speed a tempo run is that day.  The Garmin can help, but I wouldn't rely too much on it even if you have it set to auto-lap every time you get to a new interval!

If you like the idea of custom workouts but find the beeping as annoying as I do, I highly recommend setting it up just to chirp when it's time to transition to a new interval and not to worry about telling you when you step outside your goal pace.  You'll still be able to complete an exciting speed workout, but you won't worry about having your watch tell you whether you're doing it wrong and you'll get better results.  You can still check the watch for pacing (and you should know your optimum zones for whatever workout) but I wouldn't program it in.

Just my 2 cents!  Nice job going sub-7 in the 4th mile though.  The pace graph from that run's insane.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

HappyFeat

Matt - thanks for sharing your story - I went through a similar experience when I first got my GarminRoll eyes

I'm totally in agreement with Alex on everything he said in his post - couldn't have said it better.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Matt thanks for sharing. I have a 301 which also has those high function features.

When I first got it in the fall of 08 I tried the pace bunny and hated it. Having started C25K in July I was still unstable as far as constant pace goes, not that I was fast or am these days either. I used the intervals feature when using Galloway training leading to my first 10k, the Cowtown (50 weeks from heart attack). All excited I spent time setting up an advanced program to let me know when to increase pace for negative splits and a sprint to the finish. Well that worked as well as yours did. It was a large race, 10,000 runners or something like that with much of it on 4 & 6 lane roads. I ran away from the curbs to avoid getting run into when I walked - so as one could guess I ran a long, long 10k race being that far from the minimal measured line (I call the fall line as in skiing's shortest distance down a mountain) and got shocked when it said I had finished the race over a 1/2 mi from the actual finish! I spent the last mile really confused as to what was going on until I said screw it and finish the race as best you can. Finally got within real sprint distance (for me) and finished strong (& at a higher HR than my cardiologist wanted me to reach! A few beats from measured max! LOL). BTW the weather was my style and helped - 28F, 30mph winds, overcast - I loved it, having trained all winter at 4am in the morning and becoming used to the cold. Most were complaining throughout the race- not me!

Lessons learned is to understand the underlying technology, what it is doing, how it does it, and what it doesn't do. After that I set it to auto lap at 1mi and usedit to monitor heart rate - under orders from cardiologist, and overall distance, which is accurate enough for me. Yesterday was first time I used the interval feature to do a treadmill MAF Determination test. Had it do 10sec intervals while I increased dreadmill by .1kmph.

Its funny as a manager and engineering consultant I used to beat up engineers when they started using tools without understanding the underlying physics of the problem they were trying to solve - then I fell into the same trap when first using new to me technology! LOL

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Just checking in to let you know I am still around...and welcome to some new posters, thanks for joining the group.

I also use a Garmin mostly at the end of the run, to see what I did, rather than to correct my pace during the run. I have also used it for 800m intervals.

Unlike most I am reluctant to set goals for the year as something always seems to intervene. Perhaps if I don't have expectations I will get a nice surprise?

Alex, I am impressed by your speed over the shorter distances, as you gradually build up a running base your times over the longer distances may improve more than you expect.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Alex, I am impressed by your speed over the shorter distances, as you gradually build up a running base your times over the longer distances may improve more than you expect.

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to building a bigger base through training for these longer races and seeing how it affects my running as a whole.  I've gone ahead and updated my half goal from 1:45 to 1:42, though some part of me is optimistic that I might be able to go sub-1:40.  I have a 10k scheduled for Feb. 18th as a progress report, so I'll check in with the results from that and use it to adjust my HM goal pace based on how I feel afterwards.

I've taken the plunge and actually signed up for my first half!  The one I was targeting sold out quicker than I imagined, but I found a charity that had limited quantities of tickets left (albeit for a slightly elevated price) so I had to act fast.  I still have over 2 months to build a solid base and evaluate where I stand closer to race day, but I'm getting excited! Smile

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

I've gone ahead and updated my half goal from 1:45 from 1:42, though some part of me is optimistic that I might be able to go sub-1:40. 

Alex, having looked at your logs, I'm pretty sure you can beat this!

Alex, having looked at your logs, I'm pretty sure you can beat this!

McMillan says I should be able to run around a 1:34, but I figured I'd wait and see how the 10k goes before setting my sights too high.  After all, it is my first half and I'm hoping there will be plenty more after it. Smile  I'll most likely go for sub-1:40, but I'll let you know how the February race goes and get everyone's opinions!

Finished up my first week of 2012 training with an awesome progression run today.  This has become my favorite type of workout because you get a chance to run faster than usual without much chance of injury.  I highly recommend it!

It was absolutely gorgeous outside today - sunny and around 65 degrees.  I went over to the bike path where I do most of my runs and there were tons of people out enjoying the weather.  I took it easy the first 6 miles, then sped up to HM goal pace and a bit faster for the last two.  Overall the run felt great; the combination of awesome conditions and a "rest week" (slightly lower mileage/intensity than the last one) made it seem like a breeze except for the hills around mile 4.  This was my first 8-miler and only my second run over an hour in length, but I'm continuing to feel optimistic about the race in a couple months!

I didn't take any water or gels and didn't think I really needed them, but maybe when racing for over 90 minutes it will be different.  How and when do you guys normally handle race nutrition?

an amazing likeness

I didn't take any water or gels and didn't think I really needed them, but maybe when racing for over 90 minutes it will be different.  How and when do you guys normally handle race nutrition?

As far as food/fuel goes -- I assume that until I'm going to running 18 - 20 miles that I've got plenty of stored reserves and don't worry about gels, food, fuel.  In a race longer than a half marathon, I might be sure to drink some of the sports drink to onboard some calories.  In a training run longer 14 - 16 miles, I'll sometimes use Gatorade in place of water, if it is warm, for the electrolytes rather than the calories.  (on the other hand, I'm tubby)

As I recall, we had a pretty good discussion of this subject in this thread.  

(Actually, I just deleted what I had written and cut/paste my notes from that thread here above.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

For me it depends on time on feet mostly. I have done, in training up to two hours w/o nutrition, but that's been a long time getting there. Initially I was having something at about 75-90 min - I would get hungry. Couple of weeks ago I did 2 hrs and didn't have anything except water until I was finished. Note that being a slow, broken down old man, I train slow using low heart rate approach, so time on feet is my measure as opposed to distance. Using LHR does reduce need for nutrition, for me anyway. My half PB is about 2:50 as reference. Race day is another thing altogether. I'll take a gel 30 min before, then every 30-45 min during the run. Eliminates, for me at least, the possibility of pooping out.

Am planning on 3 hrs tomorrow and will bring some nutrition with me, and will probably take a break around 2+ hours to meet some folks, then continue on for total time on feet of 3 hrs.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Today I just had the run I wish I could store up for when I'm actually training for a race. It was easy and comfortable and felt like I could just keep on going for longer than I did. I just went out planning to do 5-6 miles without walking and not worry about pacing at all. I did longer at a faster pace that I would have guessed. Feeling awesome post-run. Smile

(I have a Garmin. I only use it for distance and time plus it's set to beep at the mile markers.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Nice Meg!  Bob and Andy, thanks for your input.  I'll see how I fare as my long run distance increases but I'm doubting I'll end up using gels and will probably only take a few sips of water as needed during the actual race (temperature + humidity will affect this too).

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Well I think I am just about ready for the 3M half in three weeks. The plan I had called for 21/2 hrs on feet today and I did that no problem. 3hrs next weekend shouldn't be a problem either. Just have to get my nutrition needs figured out again. Was surprise to need more than hydration at about 90 minutes into first 2hr segment (I split it to meet and chat with some runners). Then was really bonky & hungry at the 2hr mark when I stopped. Had some peanut M&Ms and Raisinets left over from the holidays... might not be the best but it was enough.

Am feeling so much more positive this year than last. Started 2011 injured from Decker Challenge Half in Dec 2010, the found out I had been exposed to Agent Orange during my two tours in Nam with the Seabees and fell into discouraging funk feeling like fighting my heart disease was a losing cause because of AO & family history. Am finally out of that with the injuries past me, new running plan now that I actually measured my Max Aerobic Heartrate (MAF - Dr Maffetone's low heart rate training approach - I frequent the RA LHR forum as well) and found I had been running at to high a heart rate because of the meds I take. The large doses of beta blockers I take dropped my MAF HR lower than Dr. Maffetone's guidelines. So I feel better about running at lower HR and of course slower to build aerobic function. Am still going to run the race I have scheduled, then restart serious MAF training.

Keep on Keeping on folks!

bob e v

Bob-I'll be interested to hear more about your progress with the MAF plan. I used to be in that group but it got to be too much for me-it isn't (or wasn't) a forum dedicated to LHR training, but a forum dedicated to MAF. I use my HRM to control pace and effort at the very low end and have been pretty happy with the results of how it has increased the speed I can run at a very low HR, but the MAF stuff was too much. For me, that is.

HI guys,

I'm checking in for 2012 - usually I'm just lurking around here for good advice... I've taken a huge break since the end of october, but I'm ready to start building up the miles again.

Last year I ran the PEI (Prince Edward Island) HM in October and a few 10Ks. This year I'm planning on running the Johnny Miles HM (New Glasgow, Nova Scotia) in june and the Philadelphia HM in november. I've modified a plan based on time by Roy Stevenson - in Marathon & Beyond september 2011 issue.

About food and hydration, I only bring water >10K run and I try to eat something light before a 2hr run. I've tried gels for 13 mile training runs, which were just OK. I weaned myself off of Gatorade for training but I will have some in a race. Luckily I have an iron stomach (knock on wood) so  I've been known to stop for a cup of coffee in the middle of a run...

Happy Tuesday, A

PS It took me some time to figure out my Garmin. Really we have had a love/ hate relationship, right now he's just allowed on my long runs to monitor my pace - later this spring I'll try to monitor HR at half marathon and 10K pace.

Recalculating...