Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - January 2012 (Read 501 times)

an amazing likeness

I was lazy yesterday so I switched my long run to today.  It was around 30F and still pretty slushy and icy around here.  The first couple miles felt fine, but after that I started slowing down and getting a dull ache in my left leg from the lower shin to the top of the calf.  It feels like the shin splints I got in early fall.  Aerobically I felt great, so hopefully these will go away soon so I can finish the HM training strong!  I'm less than 8 weeks out from my first race and getting excited.

Not sure what the other folks who run in snow, ice and slush find....but from my experience, you've got to be really careful about foot-strike and push-off when running on low friction stuff like snow and slush. It is really easy to tweak hamstrings as your quads are not doing nearly as much work as they would normally on the push-off, so you end up "pulling" yourself forward via hamstrings.

I find I do start towards shin splints after a few days of running on snow and ice, and to fight it I need to focus on foot-strike being right under the hip, flat foot, and don't lean forward more than normal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

I was lazy yesterday so I switched my long run to today.  It was around 30F and still pretty slushy and icy around here.  The first couple miles felt fine, but after that I started slowing down and getting a dull ache in my left leg from the lower shin to the top of the calf.  It feels like the shin splints I got in early fall.  Aerobically I felt great, so hopefully these will go away soon so I can finish the HM training strong!  I'm less than 8 weeks out from my first race and getting excited.

You might also consider that it may be a sign of too rapid an increase in miles over the past months.

Looking at your last 4 months log, you jumped from 0 to 25 to 77 to 106 miles per month. 

Something to think about.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

You might also consider that it may be a sign of too rapid an increase in miles over the past months.

Looking at your last 4 months log, you jumped from 0 to 25 to 77 to 106 miles per month. 

Something to think about.

That's just when I got my Garmin. Wink  I'd probably been doing somewhere around 80 miles a month since cross country season started in September.  I agree that the shin splints are probably just an overuse thing - luckily I have plenty of time before my half to take it easy and get adjusted to this kind of mileage before race day rolls around.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

an amazing likeness

According to Nobby in the main forum, shin splints are almost always over use, or from forefoot "slap" on foot strike...

Well, it's become very clear to me now that I shouldn't have pushed through the calf pain to do my 8-miler Saturday.  I haven't run since Monday and have been out with what feels like pretty bad shin splints.  I've only done 4 miles this week, after having done close to 30 most of the last month. Sad  I'm really hoping I'll recover soon so I don't lose too much fitness and can continue with my training plan as scheduled.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've started doing yoga again daily and it seems to be making a difference for me. I'm feeling stronger overall. I've been struggling a bit with the mental game of running, but I'm putting the miles in. I get that running on snow and ice isn't ideal and my training paces are going to look slow. Ultimately, I'd like to see my easy pace drop to somewhere around 11 minute miles this year. To do that, I need to up the weekly mileage I think. Right now I just need to get through the winter. My mileage this winter is higher than what I did last winter so that's a step in the right direction; it's not a huge dropoff and loss of fitness.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

vegefrog

I've started doing yoga again daily and it seems to be making a difference for me.

I think doing a yoga type class has had a HUGE part in keeping me pretty much injury free. I have PF, which I guess will just always be there but it hasn't gotten worse, it's actually gotten a little better since stating yoga and I have had NO new injuries while increasing from 50 miles in September to 150 miles  this month!! Big grin

Just wanted to say good luck this weekend to MattJ and Bob!!! Hope you crush your goal times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say good luck this weekend to MattJ and Bob!!! Hope you crush your goal times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks VF. I'm checking in for nothing more than a darn good whinge as I am in a running funk and y'all are probably the only folks who may vaguely care! Wink

The plan for Jan was to run steadily and hit this HM as a trial for sub 1:50... to see how close I can get before going through a 12 week plan and really cracking it in April.

Last week my wife was traveling, I had the kids so I ended up running behind them on bikes... I ran 6 days that week but only 4-5 miles at a time, no long run. This week I have only run twice; Monday and Friday. I was in Toronto for 36 hours midweek. (Too cold - how do you do it Meg!?). More than anything my new job is killing my work/run balance. I am averaging 5 hours sleep a night over the last two weeks and I am wiped. SleepyDead

I have revised my goal tomorrow to get up, get round, get home. Anything more will be a bonus.

On top of that the forecast is in the 30s (F) with a 12MPH wind from the North. 

So that's my griping done. it's time to HTFU and get out there. Back tomorrow with a race report I hope! Smile

Sounds like many are having a great Jan - keep the good stuff coming.

2017 Goals
                  1) Run more than 231 miles
                  2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Good luck Bob and Matt!  I'm sure you'll do great.

HappyFeat

(((Matt))) We do care. Your life is obviously one big balancing act between work, family, and running. Too little sleep can ruin everything.  Good luck in your race today. Hope the outcome makes you feel better about where things stand at the moment.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

vegefrog

Sorry your race didn't go quite as planned MattJ. Still an awesome time though. With your hectic schedule I think it's amazing that you are dedicated enough to running to get miles in. It will pay off for you! I hope that in April all your Half marathon dreams come true!

Every race is an experience and I like that you found things to be positive about even if you didn't hit your goal.

vegefrog

Holy crap. I ran 20 miles today and it was...awful! LOL!

I did 17 last weekend and it was GREAT. Felt good, not tired, no pains and I just had water/gatorade at mile 7 and 14.

Today I had the same water stops...but I never felt great from the start of the run for some reason...was running with 4 people instead of just my usual running buddy and it was hard to keep my pace constant and steady. I usually just do my long runs while listening to my body to determine pace. These guys all had GPS watches and were calling out paces every 5 seconds or so it seemed, it was so distracting.

I got to mile 17 and started feeling worse then I had ever felt on a run and my head got foggy and I was like..."Whoa" Wink  So I decided to walk mile 17 and at this point there was just one guy left with me, he was really encouraging and said it was ok to walk, still time on my feet. I hadn't had to walk on any of my long runs up to this point so I was bummed. Ran the last 2 miles and then...I puked!!! HA! It was like a hangover, but caused by running and not by drinking too many beers the night before! I was amazed that I was that dehyrated, but it was a lesson learned. I will never, ever let that happen again. I run because I enjoy it and I did NOT enjoy todays run. Though now that I'm feeling better, I'm pretty damn proud of that 20 on my race summary Smile

So...not that any of you would be dumb enough to get dehydrated like I did, but heed my warning: DRINK DRINK DRINK!! LOL!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Veg, the occasional bad run just  helps you to really appreciate the good ones. Make you stronger mentally. Good reminder about staying hydrated! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

Last week my wife was traveling, I had the kids so I ended up running behind them on bikes... I ran 6 days that week but only 4-5 miles at a time, no long run. This week I have only run twice; Monday and Friday. I was in Toronto for 36 hours midweek. (Too cold - how do you do it Meg!?). More than anything my new job is killing my work/run balance. I am averaging 5 hours sleep a night over the last two weeks and I am wiped. SleepyDead

Here's the thing, Matt. It's not like any of us runnng goobers are running to pay the bills, or raise the kids, or do any of life's 'great works'. The goals we set often setup a perspective of shortcomings that isn't deserved.  You got out for two runs, and that was two more than 0. You completed another race, taking advantage of all that training you did in the fall, and that's one race more into your experience bucket.

Running is something you fit in when other things aren't happening, and we each have to decide where on the spectrum of 'things we fit in' it falls. Each run is a victory over the alternative of not running.

an amazing likeness

Holy crap. I ran 20 miles today and it was...awful! LOL!

Sounds like a tough day. It happens. Yeah...once the dehydration fade starts, there's no stopping it. What's worse is that you only know afterwards what happened, during the run it just sucks.