Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

Hangin' with Hal!

Hey y'all,

Nothing much new to report, hip's feeling a good bit better.  I made it thru 18 holes today with minimal trouble, not really even sore for right now.  Going to continue the strength training for the next week or so, hopefully I'll be able to get back out and running (but taking it easy) next weekend.

Betty - Good to see ya back, good luck with the training starting next week.

Joe - I saw you posted on another thread about not being a very good general...in my experience, the best generals were the ones who had the respect of their commands.  I think you've earned the respect of the ground troops, as evidenced by all the "I go where the group goes" posts I've seen the last few days.

Juli - Glad to see you're pressing forward with the HM this weekend...good luck.  I think it was "General Joe" who said to remember this is a training run, so don't push yourself too hard.

doc - Scary run in the dark...but at least you got it in.  Hope you enjoyed the concert last night.  And don't worry, I didn't take it as rubbing it in...glad to hear you're back and running good.

Wendy - So how many miles are you up to for the week?  Good job with the intervals.  Dawgs will be fine, they just gotta adapt to the new system they're running.

Jay - Great trail run...BTW, how'd you do on the training 10K?

Melody - I agree, mid-80s when it's almost November is a little ridiculous, but hey, we do live in the south...

Chuck - Good job with the 6.4, glad to hear your knee's holding up.

Jeff - Sometimes it's tough, but good work pushing yourself through.  Enjoy the rest day.

Kelly - Good to see you made it over, keeping up with the killer workouts I see...hopefully I'll be able to start up with some of those before too much longer.  Love the photo btw...

anj - Flooded road?  May be time to start training for a tri...in all seriousness, good job with the 6.2

Cara - So that's what the pumpkin was used for.  Good run, hope the shins continue to behave themselves.  Spicegeek recommended I stay away from anything that would put continuous strain on that hip flexor, so no running, biking, elliptical etc...just trying to focus on strength training for now.

Rick - Looked like you were running strong despite the pizza and beer...great pic

runjr - Glad to see you made it home safe and sound...hip's doing better.

Snowman - Happy to hear the running group is off and running well (no pun intended).  Great photos, looks like Pinky was a pretty good inspiration to keep up with.

Teresa - Good 3.3 despite the cold temps...well, 48 is cold around here...

Well, that's all I got this time around.  Hope y'all have a good weekend, good luck to our racers.

- Rob

JeffRW

Rest day yesterday following a terrible TM run.

Today 10K on the TM 50:55. Much better.   Rain off and on all week here.  I work outside in all kinds of weather, so please don't give me a hard time for not running in the rain.

Kellytmj23 - great speed workout.  You look strong at the finish of your half!

chuck - glad the knee is doing better. 

Joe - hope you had a goo gym workout

Cyndi - ink looks good

Jubee13 - Good luck on your half...if you run 11 I bet you will run 13.1

anjuanja - I thought I was the only one that ran with a headlamp

carah - 7 miles on tired legs, good job.  My shins were fine today.  I have had some hip trouble, so my gate must have been off?

Jayazusa - nice cool run.  I love running when it's cold 35-40 is perfect.

Misswendy - is 6 miles a trend?

runjr - good thing it's a taper week with all the work travel

Teresadfp - 48 and sunny...nice combo.  Must have been an enjoyable run

snowman - enjoyed your race pics!  The Pacific NW is so beautiful.  My girls ran a couple 5k this summer at 10mm.  8mm is great!

PR 5k 22:06 10K 46:45 1/2 1:57:11
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rob - lol at 48 being cold!  That's PERFECT for running.  I'm fine until it's below 5 degrees or so, if there's no wind.  Wind is another matter!  The hardest thing up here is running on ICE - growing up in Texas, I always visualized snow, but there's an awful lot of ice, too, and it's hard to run on.

Gone all jock on y'all.

I decided to try something different today, and since I joined the Y this month (they waived the enrollment fee so it was a good way to try it out) I went to run on the treadmill.  What an awfully different experience it is to run on a treadmill!  Anyhow, I did three miles in thirty minutes and sweat a lot and watched the news and felt overall sort of tame compared to running outside lately.

I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!
          Ringmaster

I am *supposed* to be cleaning house for a birthday party and then dinner with the in-laws later. But I'm so happy to see the thread moving along at lightning speed I just had to come and read a little!

I don't have time for shout-outs. If I finish cleaning early (!) and the kid goes down for a nap I'll come back. In the meantime thank you so much for the pictures! I love seeing everyone's faces--it's so inspiring, too, to see you so full of strength--the half is such a race of intensity and endurance. The long sleeves are something, too--I'm just hoping I even see low 70s for my race on the 15th. We're back in the upper 70s by sunup, so I'm afraid there goes my PR.

Okay, I'll come back with more later. I'm just thrilled to see so many people sharing about their training.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Hi All,

4.1 miles from me this morning... I missed the 4 mile point Smile It was an easy run, but actually I felt great and was holding myself back much of the time... Bootcamp (+ biking with pumpkin) tonight! I am still sore from last time though!!!

OK - so here's my new dilemma...

My bootcamp course finishes next week - it's been great and is a good group... I can sign up for the next course which starts after a weeks break, but it's pretty expensive.

I have also found that my legs have been pretty tired recently - I think that as my miles increase for the marathon it'll be too much. I have asked about doing it only 2 times a week and that is an option... Alternatively, I could stop and join a gym? For half the price of the course, I could belong to a gym and go to circuits / body pump classes etc, but it's not going to be the same for motivation etc

So - what do I do??? Gym or more bootcamp? Or neither and try to carry it on at home??? I can't make decisions... I would be useless in a life and death situation!

Redleaf - Jump in all you want... it may seem that we've all known each other ages, but some only joined us the last month or so... we love people just pitching in

Anj - I'm with you on the garbage bags... we were given plastic bag things after the Berlin marathon to keep us warm - only thing is it was over 80F so they all ended up on the floor!

Kelly - Nice idea on the pumpkin... I may be trying that tonight Smile

Rick - nice picture! At least it looks like you are running... mine always make me look like i'm about to collapse!

Joe - I love the army smileys!!! I had to show DH too as it was so funny Smile

Jay - You get used to that cold weather tingle! Bootcamp is strength / core / plyo training - 3 times a week, 4 weeks... they work you hard, but I am confident of results in the long term!

Runjr - glad to have you back!!! Nice Avtar... is that your girls? How are the legs feeling through the taper?

Misswendy - Great speedwork! Glad you clarified the 14... Smile

Macd - hope you managed to avoid that rain! I think I may be in for a wet 10 tomorrow...

Teresa - I'd take 48 and sunny... sounds perfect for running!

Snowman - So cool on running group! Love the pics and nice to put a face to Pinky!

Jenny - where you flying too? safe travels!

Rob - Glad to hear the hip is doing better and you are managing some golf cross training! Shins are still doing good - I am pleased as I thought I was going to be stuck with this!

Jeff - glad you got a better run! I think i've been mucking around with my gait too and causing some of my shin pain... I'm trying to not think about it so much and just run - it seems to be helping! We'll let you off that rainy run just this once Smile

VixiDu - looks like you are being slowly sucked into our thread Wink Hope you have a great party / dinner!

Better get on with some work I guess...
              Happy running all,

Cara x

Hmm - this editor looses my linebreaks when I cut and paste from notepad... they are there in the design, but disappear in the post and I have to edit them back in...???

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

hey yall

8 miles this morning.  steamy muggy humid whatever you want to call it. more lovely weather here in south ms.

anj...oh! garbage bags.duh. well i didnt think of that. just was thinking of the throwaway clothes. i do agree thats much better! i still have my space blanket...

macd...hope it doesnt rain.

teresa...what? i love looking at my own pic! LOL

snowman...good job on the running group at school

jenny...i have had many stares while laughing at my phone...

rob...good job on the golfing. hope your hip feels ok. dawgs always have a 'new' system...

jeff...great 10k, esp on the tmill. 6 miles is my default distance.

vixidu...LOL i never get kids napping in a clean house. dont give up on the PR yet. dress cool and go for it!

cara...great job on bootcamp. maybe find something flexible you can do at home. there are lots of short workouts on the internet. i have such a hard time with decisions too! ha!

love to all

doc825

happy friday! yay!!

got in really late wed night after pearl jam (awesome show!!) bur got 3 in yesterday morning (ha, slow 3, but 3 nonetheless!). had the intention of getting more work in last night but was exhausted. so, getting some strength/cardio in tonight. may or may not do another halloween 5k tomorrow morning. we'll see. could be idiot bird again! still no results from my cemetary 5k, is that weird? its been almost 2 weeks. oh well, guess its not too big a deal. anyway- just a quick hello to everyone. snowman- nice pics! hope everyone has a great weekend and best of luck to all racers!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

JoeInTX

Hey gang!  TGIF!!  Rest day today, 8 miles tomorrow.  BTW, got drenched as I left the gym last night, even had an umbrella!  Got 3.5" of rain last night!   Rain has cleared out now, so shouldn't be an issue tomorrow.

Jay - Yes temps supposed to get down to mid 40's tomorrow morning.  Just hope it won't be windy!!  Have a good 10K next weekend!

Runjr - You're a travelin man.  Cowboys play the Seahawks on Sunday.  Yes, Favre playing at GB hope they televise that game here.

MissWendy - Good speedwork yesterday.  All ready for Haloween?

Redleaf - How's the 10K clinic going?  Keep us posted on your training for your 1/2.

Anj - I have to admit, I never thought much about what happens to all those garbage bags.  However, down here you don't see many people use them.  They usually have a light jacket they tie around their waist when it gets too hot.

Teresa - Glad you're enjoying your weather up there.  Which photos do you mean, the ones taken during a race?  Yeah, I don't think most people like their own.

Snowman - You're really doing a great thing with those kiddos!!   Even if just a couple of them turn out to be runners, you're giving them something they can be passionate about and last them a lifetime.  Oh and good photos!  Cool to see Pinky on the run!  Sounds like a new TV series!  

Jenny - LOL, glad you liked the army smiley!!

Rob - Thanks.  Hope you get out there running soon enough.

JeffRW - Had lots of rain last night, 3.5" and over 7" for the week!!  

Teresa - Cold weather running... you're fine until its 5 degrees??  That's either in Celsius or you've dropped a digit!!  Running on ice?  With skates you mean?   lol

Anj - Yes, doesn't the TM seem tougher?

VixiDu - Glad you like the thread, we're also very glad you've joined us!  Yep, know what you mean by those temps up north!  Brrr!  

Cara - I'd say join a gym at the very least.  Glad you liked the smiley too!  I haven't seen any problems with line breaks.  I too use Notepad and as long as I hit the Enter key, the editor seems to honor them.  

MissWendy - Good morning run!  

Crissie - Boo!!

Joe
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Joel - I never would have believed it before trying it, but once you get used to it, running in COLD temps is wonderful (unless it's windy!).  You feel as if you're running in air conditioning!  I always run faster and farther when it's below freezing.

Now I'm waiting for DH to finish up on a business call so we can go run together!  We don't do that very often, so I'm looking forward to it.

Happy Friday everyone. Back home now. This has not been a very good exercise week for me – only two runs (45 and 40 mins) and one walk (30 min) and NO weight training although I may try to get some weights in on Sunday. I have decided to do the 5K tomorrow and finish up my 8 miles planned for the day with an easy 5 mile loop home.

Very disjointed right now so I haven’t prepared any shouts. Will get back in the groove next week. I do want to say GOOD LUCK to all our racers this week-end – especially Spice!!

Have a great week-end and Happy Halloween!

Jenny ________________________________________________________________________________

Go Spice! I am sure you will make us all proud of you.

With you on the cool temps, Teresa, but ice is nasty. Not  going to be a problem for a couple of months, though.

Photos of my son and myself are now available from our race on Oct. 18th, he is smiling in several and seems to be cruising along, my face is contorted, mouth open wide gulping in air, just looks awful. I am hoping DW doesn't do something impulsive like ordering the set!

It is great to see your pictures in a larger format here, the avatars were very small at CR. Nice to be able to refer to the thread while posting, too.

Good runs, everyone! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hi all, I ran last night 7 miles with 3 X1000 intervals to take off today.  The weather is not going to be nice by the time I would have run.  

Okay here is my last statement on the websites:  I will go where ever group wants to go. I believe that I owe alot of my success to this group.  I truly need the support of all of you.  I don't believe I owe a web site anything.   I will follow where you lead, if you have me.  This is my running family.

rob - good news on the hip if golf was okay it should be getting better.

jeff - you know we wil give you a tough time on the weather. lol.  Glad your run was better.

teresa - as a Wisconsin runner I too run at about 5 degrees or warmer.

anj - lol on awfully different.

cara - great on the extra .1. Taper time is always tough for me.  I still feel beat up a bit from the training.  Yes the avatar is from a spring race with DD and DW.  You are due for some home improvements again..? We started again.  

misswendy - the mugy weather should be gone soon.  I truly hope to meet my goals, that being said, I still have to go to work on the following Monday.  The early weather report looks like low 50's and rain.

joe - your mileage is really starting to get there again. How is the knee?  You are building at a nice rate. Hopefully this week has better football games.  There were too many loopsided games last weekend.

jenyhill - good luck this weekend!!  One way to get the miles in is to race.

redleaf - if you train properly and follow a plan the goals you set should be doable.

macd - the weather can always be worse.  Looks like next Saturday is rain.

snowman - great pictures. Like the arm swing better in this race Wink

simon - this site sure is faster loading.  

take care and good luck to our racers!

PR's Komen 5k Sept. 2009 21:11 Badgerland Striders HM Aug 2009 1:37 Boston Marathon  April 2011 3:29 BQ

Happy friday Everyone, Rest day for me today!! Yesterday I ran 5 miles with a 9:58 min pace!!! I felt good about that!!! My shins are alittle sore today. I hope everyone has a good Halloween!!!! GO SPICE!!!!!!!!
                              jayazusa

Happy Friday all,

Today was an off day for me, took both of the dogs for a walk and got out in the cold, since I wasn't running I wore a sweat shirt, good to get use to the cold you know 45°.  I am hoping to get 12+ miles in on trails tomorrow, but we shall see.  Good luck to all of the racers in the group, have a great weekend.  

Jay

Upcoming events:

• 4/3/2011 - Marquee Olympic Triathlon
                                • 5/7/2011 - Rio Salado Olympic Triathlon

Completed:

• 3/5/2011 - Run for Ryan House Half Marathon 1:50:43
                                • 1/16/2011 - PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon 1:57:48
                                • 12/5/2010 - Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon 1:59:19
                                • 11/7/2010 - Amica International Triathlon - Finished 2:50:16
                                • 10/9/2010 - Prospector Olympic Triathlon - Finished 2:48:25