Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

lazy distance runner

hey guys joining the party over here...active is driving me crazy.

i had a local 5k yesterday and it wasn't chipped so like an idiot i lined up at the start line in the second row and played follow the leader at a 5:45 pace for the first half mile. as you can imagine i ran out of breath and had to slow it down to a 6:50ish pace. which was about 25 seconds per mile slower then what i was aiming for.  had a long rolling hill 1 mile in and turned right into a 15mph head wind for the downhill portion of the race so i couldn't make up anytime or even out my breathing. i ran an even pace after the 1st half mile but i really wasn't ready for the mental battle and it showed, no charging up hills and no finish line burst. i'll take it as a learning experince and will run my own race and be ready for battle the next time. i don't want to come off as whining but i'm not happy with my effort. with that being said i finished at 21:14 and it was a slow field so i finished 40th overall. 

not sure if this will even post so i'll use this as a test....

Jubee13

I really need some advice right about now!

I am scheduled to run a 5K Saturday. There is also a HM at the same time. On my training schedule, my long run this week is 11 miles. I am thinking about just running the half Satuday as my long run. Would that be totally stupid? In a way, it seems easier than running 3 Saturday, then 11 Sunday. It would be my first half, so I am very unsure. By the way, I have completed two 10 mile runs.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Juli

spicegeek

I have to say I prefer the idea of waiting out the upgrade problems with active - maybe we can give it this week and go back next week - we already have people still posting on the old threads

4 miles in the bag for me today - nervous tapering !! Nothing tomorrow and  couple of 2 - 3 milers the rest of the week

If anyone wants to sign up for the alerts on Sunday
        http://athletealert.ingnycmarathon.org/Alerts.aspx

bib no 43171

cyndi I`m so proud of you getting a kettle bell !!

Rob a good indicator of a stress fracture is hopping hurts a LOT - otherwise try ice and anti inflamatories and a week rest - it could be hip bursitis - by rest - no biking either - the constant motion will not let bursitis heal as well.

Cara what`s your 10K goal ?

Antrelle - that boot camp sounds excellent ! getting outside is always good !

Jenny someone else commented on the kettlebell in the after photo too !!

snowman - great race !! well done !!

Rick - great 10K time ! well done !!

juli you could run a half if you have run 2 10 milers in the past - just take it easy

LADIES ! - yes lets all try for the More Half - Cyndi is committed to trying for a 2:30 finish - I`m probably going to volunteer to be a 2:30 pacer
        snorth100

Hi everybody -- just a quick post to say I have also followed the group here.  Spent a 4 day weekend in CA -- just south of Half Moon Bay -- beautiful spot, lots of laughs, a few tears, tons of food and more than an appropriate amount of wine...I'm exhausted!  Started my new job today, after a 6:30 am bootcamp.  So far so good on the job...  I'll post again in the morning, when I have more time.

Thx, Joe, for the migration.

Sue

JeffRW

Made it over.... Thanks Joe.

Hour in the gym/weights and 3 miles back to the house.

Snowman - great report and time. Good job.

sorry there is a football game on, goto go

PR 5k 22:06 10K 46:45 1/2 1:57:11

lazy distance runner

ok it works...

joe - good call on the move, now i really need a garmin!

lorie - what half are you running in feb?

chuck - good pace on the 10 miler and great news on being pain free, i'm sorry i missed what happen to your son. it sounds like everything is going to be "OK" .

rob - sorry to hear about the hip hope its nothing serious.

anj - sounds like a good recovery week, hope you stayed away from the crazy philly fans.

snowman - great time on the half. thats funny about the bib number. maybe one day i'll register for a race early and get a single digit number, instead of the day before.

macd - enjoy the taper 

wendy - another week and you morning runners will be running in daylight and i'll be looking for nightvision goggles.

rick - pizza isn't too bad probably could have past on the beer. good job on the PR 10k.

cyndi - where's the pic?

juli - i would wait till your planned race esp if you have been having some pain

spice - thanks for the info! if buy the slight chance i see you i'll try and say hi. 

sue - day 1 i hope  its good haha.

Snowman - Thanks for the tip on the picture. Now if I could just get the ticker to work.....
                  Ha! Just like my impatient butt....should have finished reading the posts! Thanks Joe!! I take I have to paste the url at the end of each post? Let's see if this works...... _____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi, everybody,

I am a little tired and have to be up really early to meet my running group but I am going to post my race report from my 13K in Disney on 10/24/2009.   I was about 8 minutes away from my goal but still fairly pleased with my performance.

My report is below:

Good morning, everyone,

Well, we returned from DisneyWorld yesterday after a very nice vacation.  I have not had a chance to read all the posts so bear with me as I catch up this week.   I ran in the Tower of Terror 13K (8.1 miles) on Saturday evening.  I arrived at Hollywood Studios where there was a massive crowd awaiting the race start.   The 5K participants started their race first and it seemed like the runners would never stop.   I weaved my way up to the 9:01-11:00 pace group but the crowd was so thick I could not get further.   Disney did a very nice job of shooting fireworks and making the start  quite a spectacle.  There was an announcer dressed up as what I would consider a 1940's reporter.  I spent my first mile and part of my second mile of the race weaving in and out of runners that were a slower pace.  I finally saw a fellow going in the grass and even did that a few times.  So many runners had hydration belts and I could hear the water swishing during the run.   I wondered if that bothered them but I guess they are used to it.

At the first mile marker, I saw about a 10:18 time and knew that I was going to have to kick it in to get anywhere close to my goal even with the chip.  So I did and managed to finish with a chip time of 1:11:02 and a gun time of 1:12:02.   My Garmin said the distance was actually 8.3 but I am guessing that was from all the zigzagging I had to do early on in the race.   We actually raced through Disney's Wide World of Sports which was very cool.   Oh, and I did get my Garmin as my birthday present.  Yeah!!  Love it.  They had Rocky music playing at certain points during the run which was a great motivator.

I forgot to bring an energy gel but made it through the 8 miles without it.  I will not forget it next time!  My time put me at #13 out of 253 in my age group and #112 out of 1862 women finishers.  There were a total of 3247 runners so it was a huge field compared to what I am used to for runs.   I was pleased with my performance and I am hoping I will be able to break 2 hours at St. Jude's in December.   I have a 5K this week-end so we will see how that goes.   I will get around to sending hellos to everyone but this week is a little crazy so I may not get to it until later.  I hope everyone had a great week and for any fellow racers, I hope it went well!

Have a great week and Happy Running,

Lisa

Completed:   2/13/2011 Mercedes 1/2 Marathon 1:40:51; 3/05/2011 Power Run 44:52 

PRs: 8/07/2010-Woodstock 5K 22:22 3/06/2010 Race Without Limits 8K 35:00 10/2/2010 Montgomery 1/2 Marathon 1:38:45 11/06/2010 Vulcan Run 44:50 12/11/2010 Rocket City Full 3:48:34

Does anyone know the photo requirements for the profile photo? I can't upload anything... I have a really tiny avatar photo (6 kb) - same one as on coolrunning, and it "red-x"'s me every time I try to upload.

May not be the photo size, but your computer/server.  I had trouble upgrading my picture form home, tried several times and it bombed.  Was able to load the same photo from work using a much faster network than my Dial-up service.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Holy Crap, we've been invaded by Joe's army!

But that's a good thing.  Welcome everybody.  Just wondering why it took you all to find this place over cool running.  I dumped cool running when they merged with Active.  Found this place a lot friendlier to use etc and Eric (the owner) is a great guy.  If you have problems, questions or suggestions, just write him. 

Also remember, he owns this site and doesn't charge anything and hasn't sold out like Cool Running did.

So again one and all welcome to Running Ahead.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hangin' with Hal!

Howdy y'all,

FYI - I started the new week's thread over in Active in case we have folks post over there.  But, surprise surprise, it's down for maintenance Wink  I saw it getting hits (113 at last check), but nobody can reply.

Anyways, went to the doc this morning as my hip still felt like poo...the good news, the doc (a 1Lt, so I take into consideration he probably hasn't been practicing medicine that long) didn't think I had a stress fracture, but thinks I have a hip flexor strain.  So no running for the next couple of weeks...and I'll take spicegeek's advice and not bike even...so looks like upper body and core strength training this week for me.  Funny thing is, I'm not as bad off as I was this morning, but still going to take it easy the next couple of weeks.  Better safe than sorry...

Teresa - Oh, I'm used to it...I'm the lone Ag in a family of teasips.  So Thanksgivings are interesting, to say the least, when I make it back home...

Cara - Didn't hit any deer, learned to be extra careful when they're out when I was living in Nebraska (I hit one up there, but caused minimal damage...I did the repair work myself and spent maybe $200).  But I sure love my venison!  So you had to hold yourself back?  I hate when that happens Wink  Good luck with the biking/boot camp!

Joe - How'd the indoor run go?  Rain's supposed to hit here tonight/tomorrow morning.

AnTrelle - Can't remember if I welcomed you, so...welcome!  Wow, intense boot camp!  Hope the run with the DH went well!  Did you keep him in sight?

Jenny - Fortunately y'all didn't drop too much in the polls after that nail-biter!  So it looks like that weekend of the 9th-10th is a big race weekend...I'm also slated to run...

Anj - Looks like a pretty good post-recovery week plan.  Hope it goes well for ya!

Doc - Glad to hear the new shoes are working out for ya...good work this weekend!

Snowman - I know I already told you this on FB, but great race!

Sheilah - Glad to see you made it over!  I hear ya on the hip problems...I'm thinking repetitive stress injuries.  Take it easy!

macd - Great job with the 10, especially given the conditions.  Almost there!

Wendy - Great job with the 6...wow, guess I missed the 41.5 last week.  Hopefully this rain they're calling for moves thru quick!

Rick - Pizza + beer + race = bad?  I'll have to remember that...

Chuck - Glad to hear that Chad's gonna be taken care of.

newjogger - Good to see you made it over...personally, I'd taper, but I'll defer to those with more experience.

Juli - So you're ankle's feeling better?  Good news!  As for the speedwork, well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Most times you see speedwork introduced in intermediate plans, but unless you're feeling ill effects, I don't see where it'll hurt to continue.  And I gotta go with spice, the half this weekend is do-able, just be careful!

ezec - Great 5K!  Results probably weren't what you were looking for, but you're right, good learning experience.

spice - Nervous tapering?  Don't give me any bad thoughts here...lol!  Thanks for the heads up on the alerts.  Also, I'm taking your advice and not biking (guess you saw my FB post on Snowman's status).

Sue - Good to see ya back!  Hope the new job's working out for ya...

Jeff - Good to see you here too.  I thought about watching the game, but it's 2 teams I don't particularly care for Wink

Lisa - Great 13K!  Hopefully the 5K will be just as good!

Larry - LOL, Joe's Army.  Thanks for the welcome!

All right, I need to get to bed...big day tomorrow and big TEST tomorrow.  Run well, y'all!

- Rob
                          kaenman

W2D1 of half marathon training plan.  I decided to squeeze in a race on the 8th though.  I am really aiming for a good race in Carlsbad at the end of january.  I will use the 8th as a training run.

Mwalker--sorry to hear about your injury.  Hope you heal soon.

What exactly is a stress fracture and how can it be prevented?

Hello all,

I didn't seem to have many problems with the old site, but I don't want to loose contact with everyone as it has been a great climb.  I ran about 2.3 miles to my step class.  I still feel so very tired.  I am taking it easy, but will be glad when I get back into the swing of things.  The weather is cooling slightly here...I hope it is doing the same for rnwalker. 

The only thing left on my running calendar this year may be a 10K just before Thanksgiving.  In Jan I will begin training for the River Run in March, it is a 15K.

I log all my running on this site, so the transition isn't so that difficult

Keep on running

Melody

Morning everyone,

Looks like most of us have made the migration... whether temporary or perminant. I really like this site, but as

Spicegeek says I have an affiliation to Cool Running as without that site I would never have started running let alone completed a marathon and running with you all for the last 2 years! However I guess it's not really cool running anymore and Active are doing their best to destroy it!

Last night I biked to bootcamp and got a great workout there... 7 miles this morning with 8*0.25 intervals with 0.25 recoveries. I'm tired and they were tough! I held around a 8mm pace on the speedy bits but had to walk some between to recover. Now I get to relax until tomorrow pm when it's biking and bootcamp again! We are doing a pumpkin workout Smile

Joe - love your following "Joe's Army" indeed! Hope you got the gym run in - it's much nicer outside in the rain

though Wink Thanks for at least working out part of the ticker issue!

Antrelle - Great job on the bootcamp! It is tiring but great fun! Hope you kept sight of DH!!!

Cyndi - thanks for the KB info... I think I may just get one, then see if I can find someone to show me what to do Smile

Jenny - I think if you have two blank lines for every one you want to appear, it works??? that's what i'm trying so we shall see! Great job on squeezing in runs around the fun!

Anj - We'll allow you a little time off Wink Nice plan for first week back training!

Doc - Glad you found the smileys... I would be lost without them Big grin What shoes did you get in the end? Glad they are working for you! Lol on the Crazy comment... I feel I have earnt it!

Snowman - amazing race and new PR! So cool to have company with Pinky! Congratulations...!

Sheilahtrigirl - Hope you got that long run in and the hips are doing good!

Lorie - Thanks for the info on your marathon training plan... I found a 30 week plan on the HH site which I sent to my friend as it'll give her a good grounding - we have 25 weeks until race day!

Macd - I have my mileage here too... love the integration and cool to see what others have done! Great job on the last long run - enjoy the taper!

Misswendy - I think the plans changed by the second book... I have a 55 mile plan which I am using which I think must be close to yours, the next one up goes over 70 miles a week! Are you keeping up the cross training with DS as your trainer??? Big grin

Rick - Lol on the pizza / beer lesson! I've had some great runs after Chinese and wine though, so maybe try that Smile Congrats on the race and new PR!

Chuck - glad to hear that Chad is home - are you going to see him anytime soon?

Jay - the run logs are really good actually... and they log shoe mileage which is always important! Great weekly mileage and long run!

Betty - Cool on signing up for the HM... I am jealous you will all be running together!

Newjogger - hope you are feeling better! Don't worry about missing the runs... it sounds like you have a great base and you have time for an 11 / 12 still. I would make the last long run about 8 miles if this is your first HM...

Juli - Glad to hear the anke is better! Enjoy that rainy run - it's not that bad once you are soaked through Wink Your plan is probably fine - I would stick with it... if you are used to the speed work, leave that in - drop it later if you are feeling too tired or get any niggles. On the HM - you could definitely do it on your training... you would need to run it easy though if you plan on the original HM being your main race? It is tempting to go out too quick

Ezec - sounds like some good lessons learnt on the 5k Wink congrats on a great time and place though! You will be stronger next time for making mistakes on this race!

Spicegeek - you are nearly there!!! I just want a PR on the 10k so I have to beat 53:41 - I would like to break 53 minutes, but i'm not feeling that fast at the moment... legs are too tired from all the cross training and running! Must be doing me good!!!

Sue - Hope the new job goes well! great job on bootcamp!!! It seems we're all at it at the moment Wink

Jeff - nice training session! Looks like you got it all in Wink

Lisa - I think i posted this on the other thread, but great job on the race!

Larry - I got some strange looks in the office laughing at the 'Joe's army' comment!!! Big grin This is a great group and what kept us at active was the thought of loosing it... Thanks for the welcome!

Rob - Hope the hip flexor strain diagnosis is correct and you are back to full fitness soon! Good idea to take it easy for a couple of weeks! $200 for venison sounds a little steep but it would be pretty fresh Wink

Keanman - great job on W2D1!

Melody - Cool to run to step class... I can imagine that would be tiring!

Think I got everyone, but sorry if I missed anything!

Happy running all,
                                Cara x

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30