Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

welcome everyone from Active. I never used it much because I was a caloriecount.about.com and ra user. I found ra shortly after starting running in july 08.

Anyway - am training for first half on 11/8, Fort Worth Marathon, and then the Altanta Marathon Half on Thanksgiving day with goal of finishing both. This is a light training week since my daughter is getting married Sat 10/31 and it will be hard to get my weekday or Sunday runs in. I didn't have a long run in my plan for Sun before the half, so that worked out, but I still wanted to get weekday runs in to stay loose.The real training for a realistic pb will be for a half at the Cowtown Marathon on 2/27/2010. btw: I'm a relatively slow runner and have adopted Galloway run/walk to recover from IT Band injury and to avoid injury while increasing distance. Seems to have worked. Have been experimenting with low heart rate approach recently, but no final decision for Cowtown training plan.

Glad to see an active thread with many experienced runners - I hope to learn a lot from you guys.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Good Morning All,   Just I quick hello before I head out to the gym for spin class and centergy. Yesterday I ran 6 miles with my friend that ran with me last thursday. I felt great!!! The weather was perfect for running!!I didnt realize how much I missed running!!!! We ran a 10:24 pace witch I thought was not bad!!! The end of our run is a killer hill!!

WE plan on running the same route again on thursday. Its nice for a change to have someone to run with!!!

Ezec- I plan on running the Hyannis half on Feb 28th

Rick- My brother-inlaw has ran that half 4 times and he said only once he couldnt wear short!! haha. I dont think I'll be wearing shorts though!!!!! I'm just hoping for 30's!!!!!!!

Betty- Great news about your next half!!!! That would be awesome to meet up with some of the women from here!!!

Well have to get to the gym!!!!! more shout outs later!!! Lorie

Gone all jock on y'all.

Howdy everyone! I did a Pilates class for the first time last night and it kicked my butt, but I was really stronger than I thought.  I did feel kinda geeky.  I'm not a group-class girl, normally, but I know I need to get my core in a good place over the winter.  Anyhow even though I am not that flexible, I do have an established core from running and cyclling this summer, and so my goal is to PUSH when the teacher says PUSH so I go above and beyond what I "think" I can do.  That's the problem with working out alone - I don't push it.  In the class with all those other people I really felt like I had to keep up.  A good thing!

Today I rode 12 miles to the bus in 40 minutes.  Not my best time but I was looking at the pretty leaves. Wink

Ezec - I can't imagine running that fast for 3 miles.  But I want to work on getting faster and maybe that's the way to do it - run behind some fast people!  You shouldn't be disappointed.  That was a good time!

Jubee - go for the half!  Your body doesn't really know the difference (except for the adreniline.)  Treat it like a training run - make sure you can talk while you run.

Spice - good luck in NYC!!! Wow! 

Massgirl - Aren't our hills wonderful?  And especially when it's windy out!  I think of them as my coach!

Truss - Congratulations on your race.  That must have been a little surreal... did any Disney characters run?

Mwalker - Feel better soon... youch!

Chamblin - So... you ride to boot camp, you work out, you run, you ride, you run, you ever rest? Wow!  Big grin

To all - I am sure I missed folks.  I suck at the shout outs but had a little time this morning.  Let's run smooth this week!  Yay!

Anj

I is runnink! Lil Rhody Runaround - 8 miles 11/22/09 Charlestown RI 2010 Aspirin' to: Cox 1/2 Marathon, Providence RI. Shad 10K trail race, Block Island, RI. More stuff, then AMICA full marathon October 2010! Ran a bunch this year, including my first 1/2 October 18th, 2009. Yay!

Cara - I am in for Chinese food and wine before my next race

Lisa - Great job on your race and a great race report.  Hope you got to enjoy DW with the family also.  I need to make Disney plans soon, hopefully in April (just have to get the thoughts of running Boston out of my head)

Lorie - I am close to signing up.  It's great you have someone to go out with.  It has made such a differance with me.

Joe - I am really liking this site.  The mapping and logs seem like an upgrade over the runnersworld ones that I use now.  Are you going to put the link to here on Facebook?

Rob - get the rest you need and hopefully you can still do that killer schedule you have planned!

Quiet morning for me.  I did my Tuesday morning Body Pump class, but skipped the extra treadmill work after.  Back out tomorrow morning.  I have a "fun run" this week, then a 5k the weekend before Thanksgiving, that is for Ovarian Cancer, then a 5k on Thanksgiving.  The fun run is untimed and the first 5k I may need to stay with a group for a family member that the run supports, so the Turkey day race I need to test myself and finish under 8mm's! 

Have a great week everyone.

Rick

Upcoming Events Current PR's 11/8/2009 - Luv 2 Run 5k 23:52 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30
          doc825

morning all, looks like everyone made it here! cool!

had a great workout last night. rowed for 25 mins, then lower body strentgh, ran 2 miles, upper strength, ran 2 more miles (not fun anymore, lol) then abs and stretch! nice! today is a rest day!!!

looking to incorporate speed runs again starting next week. i'm thinking hills for 2 weeks before i start though. i miss my hily route and think i'm going to catch up with it wed morning. its looking really pretty with the leaves too, so better jump on it before its too late!

just a quick note about ice- never did it before this week and have been icing my knees- they feel fantastic- no pain anymore. who knew ??  (my guess is everyone in here!!)

wow- fast moving thread. already feel behind on shoutouts. will catch up later in the week!

take care everyone!!

JoeInTX

Morning peeps!  Looks like more people are settling in!  :  I did my recovery jog on the treadmill yesterday.  Some speed play today and maybe a swim.  

Newjogger1 - Cool, glad you made your way over here!  On your long runs, I would say go for 11 this Sunday (at the very least just 10), then start your taper.  I would then do 9 on the 8th then 8 on the 15th.  

Jay - Good running, congrats on your new addiction!

Juli - I agree, if your're going for your first half marathon, don't worry about speed or hill work.  Your goal should be to get to the starting line injury free.  Whatever time you finish in, you will be setting a PR (Personal Record aka Personal Best).  

Ezec - Thanks for checking in overhere, great 5K race!!

Juli - I would vote against running a HM as a training run, however if you decide to, remember its not a race, its supposed to be a long slow run!!!  

Spicegeek - Good to see you here, thanks for the info on your bib# and alerts!  I've registered to get your alerts! 

Sue - Sounds like you had a great weekend and good luck on your new job!  Glad you crossed over!  

JeffRW - Thanks for checking in!

Ezec - Haha, yes this one works!  Yes get a Garmin, Christmas is right around the corner!  

JennyHill - Yep, seems the trick is to add the URL in the body of the message.  Yep, each time.  You could keep a small text file i.e. ticker.txt and cut/paste into your posts each time.  I've submitted adding the ability to add img html in the Feature Request thread.

Lisa - Good to see you here!  Great race report and race!!  

Larry - Thanks for the welcome!!  I thought I remebered your name "lph53" from the old CR site.    Active made a recent "upgrade" and since then its been hit or miss (mainly miss) on getting access to be able to post.  Also I think their new editor is below par.  Anyway, I finally got fed up and decided it was time to move.  Thanks again for the welcome Larry, oh and LOL on the Joe's army term!  

Rob - Thanks for pointing folks here to our new home!  Yep, take it easy, even the best get put on the injured list.  

Kaenman - Hope your training goes well, keep us posted on your progress!  Just "google" the keywords "stress fracture running" you should get thousands of hits.  However basically its a tiny break or crack in the bone caused by repeated pounding i.e. running especially on hard surfaces i.e. concrete.  

Melody - Thanks for making it over here on this very cool site.  Hope your training and races go well!  

Cara - Yes it appears most have made it over. Like you say its not really Cool Running anymore, besides most of the peeps that have been helping us along are here now!   And like Larry mentioned, when Active first took over the Cool Running site, many runners flocked here. .... Good bootcamp workout.  I'm here sipping coffee and already you've done 7 miles!  

Bobev - Good to see you here, and another Texan!  Hope your training and races go well.  Hope you decide to join us and keep us posted on your running.  I see you have a really great training log here!  Do you have a Garmin GPS device?  Hope you recover from your IT band injury.  Oh and congrats on your daughter getting married this weekend!

Lorie - Glad you had a nice "group" run!   Have fun at the gym!

Anj - Good job on that Pilates class!  

Rick - Does this site have a link with Facebook?  Or do you mean start a Facebook group?  

Doc825 - Great workout and thanks for the reminder on rowing!  I haven't used the rowing machine lately, I should.  

Joe

Joe, Glad you enjoyed the comment and got a good laugh out of it.  Wanted to make sure you all felt welcomed to this group.  Yes LPH53 was my name over at CR as well, but I wasn't really into the HM thing back then but often put my two cents in on other topics.

Anjuanja and Mass Girl, there are a few of us from New England already here.  I'm from CT and there are a few from Maine.  Care to be more specific where you're from (without giving out too much detail- wouldn't want you to think I'm a Stalker)? 

For those who haven't set-up a profile or made it public, please consider doing so, it's nice to be able to check in on someone and find out more about them. 

Since we've got so many new members here and even some of the old members I thought I'd start a new thread titled something like "Who Am I" and we can kind of introduce ourselves there and get everyone acquainted.

The other thing I might suggest to the newcomers, is that we recently started a new Thread for posting your race results.  I thought it'd be a good way to have more of a running history of race reports instead of them getting buried and lost in the normal threads.  Perfectly fine to post them both places.

Got to do some real work now.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hi All!! 

I followed you over here, looks like a nice site; I'm excited to explore around.

I finally had a week over 20 miles.  My long run was 7 miles and it felt really good.  The farther I get into my training the more I look forward to my long run days.  This coming weekend I commited to running a 5K with a friend who didn't want to do it alone.  On one hand I'm anxious to see how my distance training effects my 5K time.  But on the other hand I finally had a really good week of training, and I'm anxious to get my weekly miles higher and running a 5K over the weekend is going to mess up my schedule.  I'm going to have to take an extra day off and I don't think I should run a long run on Sunday after racing on Saturday.  I will probably have to redue last weeks training next week before increasing another 10%.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see what my body tells me. 

I'm in Oregon is there anyone else running in my area??  I'm signed up for the Eugene Half Marathon in May and the Portland Marathon October 2010.  I'm turning 29 in a couple of weeks, and my goal is to complete a marathon before I turn 30. 

Happy Running everyone!!

Rebecca

Teacia

Hi guys!

My name is Teacia and I'm new to the board.  I saw the link over at Active.com and figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm also fairly new to running.  I started this past Spring and finished a couple of 5ks this summer.  Once the Fall Semester(I'm in grad school) started and with my daughter attending a new school, time for running has been extremely limited and I haven't gone running in nearly 2 months.

After weighing myself over the weekend and realizing that I've gained 6lbs in the past months I decided to hit the pavement again, and it felt GREAT!!!

Yesterday I ran a slow and steady 2 miles at 25:10, which is about a 13:00 pace which I can live with for now.  I'm going to attempt to ramp it up to 3 miles today and hopefully be up to 5 or 6 by the weekend.

I want to run a half on 12/20 here in Jacksonville, so it'll be quite the challenge with my schedule...but my body is worth it and so is my sanity.

I look forward to get to know you all to help keep the motivation going!!

I'm not sure how to add a picture, so help with that would be a great start.  Thanks! :-)

macd

Indy Half Marathon

Morning all. PiYo for me this morning, but I didn't make it up in time for a run beforehand. I'm mad at myself because I'm sure these days of decent temps won't hang around much longer, but also sure I needed the sleep. Such a toss-up!

spicegeek, thanks for posting the link to the updates. I will be doing the 5k in Chicago but hopefully even with the hour time difference, I'll finish the 5k before you are done  Do you have a link to the More half? I searched for it yesterday and could only come up with previous years' races - and there were a lot of negative comments on the race organization (particularly related to the full). I'm kind of with you on the move from Active... I've really felt like coolrunning was my online home, though I started using the RA log after Active got involved, and have been really happy with it... but some of the people here are kind of snarky, and I never felt that way on coolrunning. But - the issues with this upgrade have persisted for a long time (in technology time, anyway).

Anyway... glad to see so many people making it over here!

Ezec, congrats on the 5k! Pizza doesn't work well for me - cheese takes a while to digest!

Lisa, greak job on the 13k! Those big crowds can really slow you down, but it sounds like you made up quite a bit of it. I wouldn't think your half would be so crowded.

Rob, glad to hear you got the hip checked out and it's not a fracture.

Juli, glad the ankle is improving.

Sue, glad the new job is off to a good start. Sounds like a fun weekend in CA!

Cara, great speed workout! That's what I was supposed to be doing this morning... maybe tomorrow!

bobev, thanks for joining us, and congrats on your DD's wedding!

Lorie, good to hear you have a new running partner!

Anj, I'm kind of like you about the classes. Now that my employer is offering a few, I'm making myself not slack off so much!

I've gotta quit for now... duty calls. More shouts later. Happy running all!

Snowman

Hey everyone,

Glad to see more and more people moving over!  Another rest day for me, probably do some biking tonight.  Everything is healing well but still have some slight pain in my knee.  Feels like someone hit me with a bat Tanya Harding style!  I have about two weeks before marathon training begins so I got to get on those IT exercises.

I've decided to do the Turkeyman Trot 5k, see if I can get a new PR.  Not many runs up here in the winter so I'll take what I can to help with training.

Juli - Yeah, the weather was miserable this weekend.  How did your nephew do?  What race was it?  I wouldn't recommend running the half.  I say that mainly because you are going to pay to basically run a workout, not a race.  I think you should stick to your training and do the 5k.  I wanted to be prepared for my first half so I could do it well and be proud.  I didn't want to do it just to do it, if you get what I mean.  You could easily do the half though so its up to you.

Ezec - Good job pushing through that 5k!  I know how you felt.  When you come out that fast, the last two miles is an empty tank.  Its so easy to get caught up with those fast guys or the people who just run the first mile fast.  But excellent first mile!  I usually get a single digit bib because my last name begins with AC... so I'm usually at the top if they go alphabetically. 

Spice - I wish I could sign up for the alerts but people but get annoyed with me at church if I was always checking my phone. LOL  and my phone doesn't have the email plan on it.  How's the IT?  Was the NYC a lottery registration?

Sue - Sounds like a great weekend!  Glad to see you made it over!

Jenny - No prob, Joe did all the work to get us going over here, even figured out the ticker!  Great picture!  I'm guessing the Wine and Dine will be $120 because that's what there other half marathon runs.  My older bro might come run it too. 

Lisa - Excellent job!  I know what you mean about a packed field!  I did a 10 mile race with 13,000 people.....that was insane!  I wanted to line up in the 8:00 pace but got pushed into the 9:00.  I passed about 2,000 people in the first mile.  The good thing is though, it usually charges you with adrenaline passing people like that.

Rob - Glad you're being safe with the injury.  It sounds odd but its the best time to heal.  Not as many races going on (at least up here anyways). 

Melody - Glad to see you made the jump!

Cara - Thanx!  Pinky was a great pacer and a great runner so I give my PR credit to her.  We held a 7:20 almost perfectly the entire race.  Great job on your bootcamp!  Great pace!

Rick - I think the pizza did you in.  Maybe next just go with all beer!  LOL  Liquid pain killer, I always say!   What's a Body Pump class?  Like a lifting class?

Lorie - Great job on your workout!  Glad to hear you got a running partner!

Anj - Good job on the 12!  That's a good mentality!  You're starting to think like me.  LOL  When I reach what I think is my limit, I tell myself to go harder.  Limits are what your mind says you can do, not what your body says you can do.

Doc - Nice workout!  I hear ya on the ice!  Knocks the inflammation right out of the joints!

Joe - I talked to Pinky after the race but not much because her husband and two girls were there and he was giving me a funny look.    What was your nickname for her going to be?

Rebecca - I made sure to change my workouts around so my distance run wouldn't hit Sunday because of that same reason.  I moved mine to Monday.  I know Sunday is when most people can run it though because of no work.  Its just one of those give and take things but I agree, don't try doing the long run the day after your race.  Sorry, I'm in Michigan.

Teacia - Great job getting back on there and running again!  Great start!  You'll find a couple people here are from the Jacksonville area.  Just listen to your body and don't try forcing the half, not worth the injury if you aren't prepared.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses

Larry- I'm from north central Mass
                          JRS07

Hi all... found you.  Took me so long to read everybody's posts..no time to post now..

I hope everyone has a great week of exercise.  I am having run withdrawls..there is no way to get my heart rate up on the bike with no tension.  So unrewarding.. but necessary.  Trying to get the cardio in but very difficult to get it from the stationary bike with no tension.  I feel like the hamster on the wheel..pedaling so fast but going nowhere.. I have been doing upper body weight training and abs too.  I just need to be paitient till the stress fracture heals.   I watch everyone running on the treadmills at the gym and dream of the day I can run again...LOL

I hope everyone has a great week!  For those who are hurting..rest up...  For those who have races this week..GOOD LUCK...For the new runners...stick with the training it does pay off, you are stronger than you think.  Believe and you can achieve...for those who think they are slow runners...you are only in competition with yourself..so do your best and be proud your out there chasing the goals..instead of just thinking about it. 

Take care,

Jeanette

JRS07

testing to see if my pic will show up...
                              JRS07

Only one it will accept..others too large..  It will do..  : )