Half Marathon Trainers

What's your planned taper? (Read 2686 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

My plan has me tapering for 2 weeks after a longest run of 10 miles. That seems odd to me Confused What are you all doing?
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Oh Mighty Wing

i'm planning a 2 week taper, but i'm topping out at 14 so my last 2 weekends before the race will be 14 and 10.

Prince of Fatness

I'm not sure people who are running low mileage need to taper all that much. I'll probably peak at around 45 mpw and may go down to around 35 the week before my half. For me it is more important to cut back on intensity than volume. It has never been a problem for me to run the volume that I am used to right up to the race, as long I run it easy. Then I'm fresh on race day.

Not at it at all. 

I have only done 1 half, so this is not the voice of experience, but I found a one week taper worked well. I really seemed to store a lot of energy by just doing short runs on 3 days of the week. Agree a big cutback is not needed if you are only doing low miles. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

March 2nd will be my first half... I don't have a "huge" taper planned but will reduce my long runs the 2 weeks before my race. Here are my planned long runs.... Jan 19 - 11miles Jan 26 - 8 miles Feb 2 - 10 miles Feb 9 - 13.1 miles Feb 16 - 10 miles Feb 23 - 8 miles March 2 - Chilly Half Other than my long runs I plan to run 4 other days...... 4 or 5 miles each day. Jason

dork.major dork.

I also did a one week taper. I did a ten mile run the sunday before and then a short easy 5 miler midweek (Sunday race). I think the key is rest. If 25 mpw is wiping you out, then I would suggest laying off for a week (more than that is probably overkill, but I only have one of these puppies under my belt). I guess my theory is that taper should be such that come race day your legs feel ready to rock and roll.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

My taper will be about 10 days or so. My mileage the week before will be slightly less than my peak. I'm about 3 weeks out so I'm going to start cutting down my long run about about a mile each week. My longest run was 13.7 miles, the week of the race I'll do a 9 miler early in the week then a couple 3-5mi runs just to stay loose.
                PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08