Half Marathon Trainers

February (Read 59 times)

Checking in...

Eating a bit of chicken soup and Going for an 8 miler in a minute, it's such  a pretty morning (above 0 sunny, great for Canada) and the weather is supposed to break again later. Had some setbacks at the end of January/ beginning of February, mainly the snow and ice problem and a little chest cold. I did keep up my midweek weight training class and Im noticing uphills seems a bit easier. I've been on treadmill because of said broken weather and trying some faster runs in bits - my schedule calls for some intervals in a week or two - I can't believe I've ever run in the 9Tight lippedx range... Uh oh.

I'm going to take today's run easy 10:1 run:walk. Luckily I have some extra weeks built into my plan, because I like to get my long run up above 13 before racing.

happy Saturday and good luck Snickers, A

PS I like my fuel belt, it took a long time to get it to be comfortable And i can carry along whatever in a waterproof pouch...but its rarely hot here in Halifax - cant imagine wearing it  if it might chafe at a shorts waistband

Recalculating...

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Morning folks! Looks like all the races are tomorrow morning... looking forward to hearing/reading great race reports!

Zel: I use both a belt and handheld. Being slow I need to carry 24oz bottle for half marathon distance - can't count on the water stops being close enough together for me to stay hydrated - a lot depends on temps. I use handheld for shorter distances, e.g. 10k, maybe 10 miler. The handheld has storage for a $20 bill and keys,etc. But I always wear shorts with pockets because of my need for sugar free hard candy to counter act medically induced dry mouth. As to nutrition, I can go 60-90 min on feet w/o (assuming I had my normal banana & multi-grain/oatmeal cereal pre-run) and use shot blocks or gu. Am currently on a medically managed meal replacement weight loss program and will have a couple of protein bars and special breads that I make with me during tomorrow's race. I've tested a lot of stuff and have even used packets of  M&M's or Skittles on really long runs.

It looks like everyone is into their training and seems to be doing well and since I have to run to 2yo birthday party for my twin grandsons have to be short...

I think I'm ready for a fun race both mentally and physically. Temps this morning, 36F, similar to predictions for tomorrow's start of the race, so I dressed for Baxter's run/walk the way I plan to tomorrow. Needed to know if I should wear tights, wore , shorts, ls mock turtle w/zipper, Pearl Izumi vest (thin/light wt), wicking cap, medium wt gloves, wind breaker - legs cold at the start and concerned a bit but warmed up so wearing warm up pants then removing will work for me. Especially since temps will be warming into upper 40's/lower 50's by the time I finish. Am shooting for sub 3hrs and would love to beat 2:55 PB. So the deal will be what to wear while wandering around, then whether to use bag drop, return to car, or throwaway.

Ya'll can track me if ya want, they have an iPhone app and mobile web site for everything else, http://youraustinmarathon.com/home; Mobile web is http://www.bsitx.com/2013austin/mobile/track.html; and my bib number is 15188.

Anyone else have tracking for their races? Would love to follow/look up finish data.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

an amazing likeness

Good luck tomorrow, Bob. I hope you'll take a good shot at getting your PR, sounds like perfect weather to really push it, and you sound like you've got all systems ready for your race.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck to both Snickers and Bob for your races- hope you both get great conditions and enjoy your events!

Looking forward to reading race reports.

I am planning a couple of easy miles tonight after work, then a longer run tomorrow which I hope will put me around 65 kms or 40 miles for the week for the first time in so long I cannot remember. My son was going to run with me but went ice fishing with a friend.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

Bob, there is tracking for my half. Go to Merecdes Marathon home page and click on the tab for tracking, it's righ on the main home page, my bib # is 2506.

After talking with the track club about the marathon pacers, I'm going to run with the 8:35 mm group and hope for a 1:52:30 finish. If I fade, I should still make it in u deer 2 hours.

Where does this group usually post the RR's? I don't mind putting it up more than once, or in different forums/threads.

HappyFeat

Where does this group usually post the RR's?

There is a Race Report thread "stickied" 3rd down from the top of the main forum page for this group. You can post it there for easy reference later. You can also post in the weekend racing thread when it occurs if you want, but if someone wanted to look it up later and couldn't remember the date you ran, it would be harder to find.  Your choice though.

ETA: "thread" not "threat"Blush

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

hog4life

HF, thank you.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Mitch, good luck tomorrow at the race! I'll try to keep tabs on you somehow if I can. Otherwise, I look forward to a report.

Haven't checked in to the February thread yet until now. 3 weeks until my first longish race of the season, the Gate River Run 15K. My training has been fair, I'm covering the distance and hitting a little interval and hill work here and there, but I'm not as disciplined as I was training for my first half last year. It seems that January, with the colder weather and lack of evening daylight, did not lend itself to as good of training as I got late last summer and into the fall.

Still, the days are getting longer and I am again able to get some outdoor runs in after work.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

HappyFeat

Feb half gone..haven't posted hardly at all...wouldn't know where to begin now.  Guess I'll post a report from last weekends "25K" (closer to 16.5 than 15.5 miles) over on the Race Reports thread later on. Everyone is deep into training and training plans, prompting me to create a 6-month plan for myself to get over my 16-mile distance hurdle by running one every month for the next 6 months! The plan may change as I go along, but it's a start.  Besides that, my running goals for now are to keep a 35 mpw avg, work on my tempo runs, work on getting Wednesday night up to 10 miles, and mainly to enjoy my running. I have one HM on the horizon. In April, a local gal is organizing a trail HM on the very trail I have been running on for the past year! That will be a total blast!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats Mitch  !!!!

HappyFeat

Congrats Mitch  !!!!

Do you have inside info??

hog4life

Just a quick post, vegefrog, thank you for the reassurance of staying with the 3:45 marathon pacer. I stayed right with/behind them until mile 9.5, and I started losing them. I truly thought I was fading, because I was starting to hurt like hell. I've looked at my Garmin splits, and I did fade a little, but not as bad as I thought, maybe thet sped up a little also.

I finished with almost a 10 minute PR of 1:51:33 to surpass the old mark of 2:01:20. I'll get a RR up later with plenty of details, but first I need a nap. Couple of stats, 37/148 AG male 50-54, 707/3570 OA, gender was 509/1593.

Zelanie

Ayola- Hope that your 8 miler went well!

Bob- Hope your race went well!  I didn't see your post in time to track, and the results don't have bib numbers listed, but I think I see you there at 2:56:58?  If so, congrats on getting the sub-3 you were wanting! Smile

Simon- We can be mileage twins for the week!  It was my first 40-miler this week.

Tom- Glad you are able to start getting back outdoors more.

Happyfeat- Sounds like a fun race!

After reading all of the helpful advice here, I decided to go with a 12 oz. handheld.  I also got an assortment of gels that I plan to try between now and my race.  I know I can finish the distance without food or water, but I also want to try it out and see how it feels.  It also might be a nice mental boost to take a gel partway through since I will be running at a faster pace than I'm used to during my race.  So far I've tried two flavors and have enjoyed them both!  Going to try some chews I think next time to compare.

I had a tougher time getting my runs in the past few days.  I'm probably feeling a combination of the increased mileage, plus I haven't been disciplined enough to keep my slower paces slow.  But I was able to shift some runs around and still got my planned 40 for the week, just with a LR of 10 instead of 12.  Tomorrow I have off work, so I will run between 10-13, depending on how I feel.  I'd really like to get 13 if I can, though!  I just have to remember to run easy for the first 5!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Still inside, but we did get 6 miles in as we were on out "fast" track today.  Hope to get outside for a long run, but if not, we will go a little longer on the track.

Congratulations to the racers, well done!

Finished a good week, I have not run over 60kms in the last several months.

Possibly jumped the miles up too fast as I have slight signs of shin splints, but I may have to back off a bit this week because the weather is going to be lousy, so I am sure this will not affect my training.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.