Half Marathon Trainers

February (Read 59 times)

an amazing likeness

What a month....and what a it's been year so far. Very little running, and the few miles I've run have been slow and painful. Ruptured 2 hamstring muscle groups Dec 8, and I never, never, never imagined it would take this long to heal.  By this time last year, I'd run 2 halfs, a 10miler and over 300 miles.  This year...I've chucked 2 race entries (with more on the horizon) and run less than 170 miles.

Mid-January, I'd worked back to a 40+ mile week and thought things were looking up...until one run when I slipped on some ice hidden under snow, fell and re-injured my leg and tore the rotator cuff in right shoulder.  Back to needing help buttoning my shirts.

I've always been able to heal and recovery before, so lots of concern over no real improvement recently.  I've decided to not even try to run again until I can walk with no pain.

Uggh...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Milk, feel better!

Nothing much to report from me.  3 miles on Tuesday, 2 yesterday, hopefully 5 today.  Recovery week sucks (I like to run, haha).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Snickers1230

Snickers - love love those Brooks Ravennas.  I was looking for those in the periwinkle color.

Yeah, I think I've already decided to buy them on my next paycheck Smile

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Snickers1230

So sorry to hear about your injuries Milktruck!  I hope you are able to recover quickly and get back out there.

No running for me yet this week.  Took Monday off since I ran my half on Sunday.  Tuesday and yesterday I worked really late (and didn't take much of a lunch break).  Came in to work early this morning.  I do plan on leaving work on time today, but it's my anniversary so DH is taking me out for a nice dinner Smile

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

hog4life

MT, wow, that's a lot to go through. I like the walking till no pain theory.

Zelanie

MT, hopefully you're just getting the entire year's worth of time off for injuries out of the way early.  Hope you heal up quickly!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

MT, wow, that's a lot to go through. I like the walking till no pain theory.

+1

Its been a reasonable week for me, even tho I've had no keyboard time to check in. Two 5k runs with Baxter and a training group. Although Baxter doesn't seem to want to maintain his previous paces. He sat down on Wed and this morning and wouldn't move until I gave him some leash then he would start trotting. It wasn't something he smelled, he just didn't want to keep up anymore. 7mi long run with training group tomorrow. Still looking for next half. Registered at reduced price for the Apr 12th 10/20 (need to put that in the race schedule) during last weeks expo but might find something before that. There's an Alamo 13.1 in San Antonio the end of March, but I'm not sure I want to drive, then run the return home... and motels are probably out of my range.

ya'll have a great running weekends!

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Zelanie

Bob, I would be careful with your dog if he's not wanting to run- there could be all kinds of issues with his joints or muscles that you wouldn't want to aggravate!

That said, one of my dogs really seems to hate running on leash so even though she is perfectly capable of sprinting across a field to play at the end of a long off-leash run, she will be hanging back at the end of the leash behind me if I try to take her on-leash!  She can do maybe 11 minute miles on leash.  My other dog prefers off leash, too, but is happy to run along with me when we're on leash.

So mostly I just don't take them with me Sad because it's too sad to leave one at home without the other.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Felt pretty good on the 6 mile track run today.  Especially when I was about ready to quit after 2 miles.  Guess we didn't want to waste the drive in the snow and the nearly empty track.  There were a few slow runners that might have incented us.  Anyway, maybe will try  for a few extra miles on Sunday.  5 weeks to go !!!

HappyFeat

What a month....and what a it's been year so far. Very little running, and the few miles I've run have been slow and painful. Ruptured 2 hamstring muscle groups Dec 8, and I never, never, never imagined it would take this long to heal.  By this time last year, I'd run 2 halfs, a 10miler and over 300 miles.  This year...I've chucked 2 race entries (with more on the horizon) and run less than 170 miles.

Mid-January, I'd worked back to a 40+ mile week and thought things were looking up...until one run when I slipped on some ice hidden under snow, fell and re-injured my leg and tore the rotator cuff in right shoulder.  Back to needing help buttoning my shirts.

I've always been able to heal and recovery before, so lots of concern over no real improvement recently.  I've decided to not even try to run again until I can walk with no pain.

Uggh...

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time, MT.  It sounds very frustrating -- even maddening! Hope you have a good PT or some such in your corner to get you back on track.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Sorry to hear the bad news MT!  Speedy recovery.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

Awesome LR for me today of 16.05, which is a PB. Hope to start week 5 of my 10 week plan for my April 6th HM. I think I'm recovered from last Sunday's race.

Glad to hear it went well, Mitch.

Easy 5k for me, long run tomorrow, weather permitting.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Milk Truck - oh dear - running on snow and ice is so dangerous - I'm in the same weather path as you, it's been a struggle this year. Lots of runners/ non runners are out with falls.  take care! Let us know  your healing progress.

Finishing up week 4 of 16 which was a rest week; it gave me a chance to catch up on a missed long run (9 miles) yesterday. I hope to get up to 16 about 4-5 weeks before my race, just like Mitch!. Going for 3 miles after my morning tea.

Keep up the good work! A

Recalculating...

Mitch, nice run congrats!

Did my first run in the rain yesterday, with no ipod to boot LOL, since I was running with someone, got in 13.65 yesterday and 3.3 today.