Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - May 2012 (Read 381 times)

Howdy Strangers!

Long time no post. Hope you have all been doing well? I'll read back over the last few months threads to catch up on it all.

From a running side of things I have been quite the slacker over the last 8 weeks. I hurt my Gluteus Medius muscle - didn't even know I had one before then and it's taken a while to heal. Work has been ridiculously busy and running just slipped way down the priority list... at least, it slipped lower than "sleep"!

I ran a half marathon after 6 weeks of no running. I do not recommend that as a HM training strategy, it sucked and so did I.

My goals are completely shot for the year but I have a training plan loaded up to RA to get back on my feet, out the door and back in shape for one of my regular HMs in the summer. I'm looking to you all to hold me accountable!

Thanks loads to Andy for manning the fort on the HMT board when I slipped completely out of sight and thanks to those of you who pinged me with a private message to get me back here - you know who you are and it means a bunch to me that you went out of your way to do that.

Look forward to catching up with many of you in more detail as spring turns to summer.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Welcome back.

To that same old place that you laughed about. 

Well the names have all changed since you hung around

But those dreams have remained and they've turned around

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya

Back here where we need ya

Seriously, welcome back. Place was feeling a little different without you.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Welcome back Matt! I was definitely worried and it was good to see some log entries starting a few weeks ago (yes, I log stalk, too).

I just finished my first coached month (well, 4 weeks). Things seem to be going well. This last week was my longest week ever by a couple of miles-I've never been over 40 before. I'm worn out, but not unreasonably so. I'm ready for the planned down week that is coming.

I also have my first race planned, a 5 or 10k in mid June. I'm looking forward to it.

Good to hear from you again, Matt.

Congratulations to Red on the mileage increases.

I have done no running over the last couple of weeks, my wife has recently been diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes so other priorities have emerged. This coincided with a wedding for a niece in Florida and a premature birth for a different niece. So busy and anxious times.

Hope to get back in the swing soon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

vegefrog

Welcome back MATT! Good to hear from you!

an amazing likeness

Geez...there used to be a guy named MattJ who swung through here every now and then....you know that guy who run a bunch of PRs in 2011. Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Welcome back Matt!  Maybe we can make a return/recovery together in the coming months. Smile

Simon - sorry to hear about your wife.  Good luck with everything and hope you can get back out there soon.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

HappyFeat

Glad to have you back on board, Matt.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

So, next couple of weeks I'm giving it a go at some faster stuff. Have a 5k next Thursday (on a biz trip to Buffalo, and found the race on the buffalorunners site). Then 2 weeks later a 5k back in CT on the course where I pr'd last year.

Plan is to bust some rust in NY, get all the mistakes out, remember what's it's like to race a 5K (been almost 12 months now), hopefully come in under 18. Then the goal race (hey, I pr'd there once, why not again) is the CT one, where hoping (if all conditions are lined up) for 17:30. That might be a stretch, but I'm in a far better way conditioning wise right now than I was last year, so we'll see.

The NY course is probably more set up for a PR (almost 100% flat) vs. the CT course (big ol hill from 3k to 4k), but the timing is what it is.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    vegefrog

Yeah! 5K's are fun! Well, actually they are really hard, but over so quickly and I seem to immediately forget how hard it was!

I'm doing one this Saturday and I am going to bust my ASS to get under 24 minutes!!!!!!

Hi guys!

I must first explain I DNS the 10k I had planned to run earlier this month, and though I have not trained at all I do plan to run a local 5k this weekend.

I have really not been giving running any attention at all, let alone the effort needed to do a decent job on race day.

I have been following you guys though, and cheering you on, some good efforts this month.

When I have finished installing dry wall and shelves in the garage and made some effort in the yard I hope to get back on schedule for some fall races.

Good news- my wife is finding the medications are helping control her blood sugar levels and she has started walking on a regular basis.

Cheers!

vegefrog

Great news about your wife Simon.

Sounds like you are being very productive around the house, which is nice.

I'm sure when the time comes for you to put the hours back into running you will have no trouble getting back on schedule.

Squeezed in a short training run again today- sure is warm for running.

My son is coming home tomorrow with his GF, and we are all going to see BB King, looking forward to that.

HappyFeat

Thursday night procrastination going on here for me.....need to go running... Having a slow recovery from Sunday's race. Checking my log from last year, I bounced right back with just a bit of leg fatigue THEN. This year - totally different story! Quads and hams were tight, tender, crampy for Tuesday and Wednesday nights runs, gradually improving. Wonder how it will go tonight? Planning on 6 slow miles.  Planning to run Mondays 10K as my next tempo run and not race it. What was I thinking to sign up for races two weekends in a row! OK ... going running now...thanks for listeningSmile

HappyFeat

Hope everyone is having the same beautiful weather as here in the PNW. I could get used to this! Blue skies, sunshine, all the trees leafed out and everything else in bloom!  Ran 12 miles on the paved bike trail rolling hills route this morning, focusing on pace, posture, breathing, relaxing and enjoying the peaceful surroundings. My legs seem to have recovered from last Sunday's race, although I can still find the crampy area in my hamstrings with the tennis ball if I try.