Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - May 2012 (Read 381 times)

Following the second week of the Pfitzinger injury recovery plan, which has me doing short run/walk intervals.  I've been trying to work in some bodyweight exercises (mainly pushups, planks, crunches), and I'm generally feeling strong and confident about progress so far.  It definitely feels weird to start up again and I've lost a lot of leg and aerobic strength, but I'm excited to get back in the game!  I'm definitely planning on taking it slower and running more by feel than I did before so I don't risk injury.  Hopefully the upper body work will help with that too.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's good stuff! Running is such a mental game. (And I'm really struggling with that part of it right now.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

That's good stuff! Running is such a mental game. (And I'm really struggling with that part of it right now.)

Do you mean you are struggling with motivation to go for a run OR trouble keeping going once you are out there?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Keep going at it, Alex and Meg. The benefits seem to accrue more with a long term consistent effort than with a short and intense one.

I ran a local 5k yesterday, out of shape though I was, and enjoyed the event. Report posted.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HI Folks

Great to read all your news. Things are slow here for me (literally) and I will admit to being a little discouraged right now.

I am working back from injury and find my self fighting both this glute strain and ITBS in my right knee. Nothing too painful but frustrating, for sure.

I am stretching and the foam roller is my new best friend (in a masochistic kind of way!). I am running three miles and then resting until good to run again. Two consecutive days is completely out of the question and I find my weekly mileage hovering between 6 and 9 miles.

THAT'S NOT EVEN A DECENT LONG RUN!!!! AAAGGGHH!!!

Now that I have got that out of my system; I met up with a friend of mine, Bryan, tonight (He's KerCanDo140 on these forums) and he did the Texas Ironman event last weekend. Very encouraged to hear his race report first hand. He's completely bonkers, of course, to swim 2.4 miles, bike 110 miles and then run 26.2 miles but... if he can do that then I can get back from this thing!

Keep on trucking everybody. It's getting hot here and I am hoping that I can get more than 10 miles in this week before I leave for a mission trip to Belize on Saturday. Only 8 weeks to my HM when I get back.... eeek!

Catch y'all in June

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

an amazing likeness

Matt,

For me the key to IT band issues when it struck me a few years ago was to 100% never run through it. Any IT pain meant stop.right.now and walk it in.  Ice it, then roller.  Along with managing road camber carefully, never...ever running through it when the pain came back was key.

Walking hills will keep your aerobics up until you can start back logging miles.

Enjoy Belize! 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HappyFeat

Matt - here are my best tips for you based on my own experiences with glute pain, pyriformis, and bursitis of the sit-bones - (thankfully not all at the same time!) most recently the glute pain.

1. Slow way down.  Like 2 mpm slower than your usual. This should allow you to run every other day. It's frustrating to go that slow, but rewarding because at least you're running. You will probably already  have noticed that the glute hurts more when you pick up the pace.

2. Uphills will aggravate the glute pain, so if you avoid them if you can or walk them.

3. Sit on an ice pack after every run.

4. This one is a long shot, but when you are running and the glute is hurting, check and see if your posture needs any improvement.  Recently, while working on my posture for better breathing (trying to overcome my huff-and-puff syndromeSmile) I noticed when I straightened up a bit more (shoulders down, chest out, that sort of thing) it brought my hips under me a bit more (when I thought I was already upright) and my glute pain subsided. So lately as I've been running, if it starts to hurt, I adjust my posture and it stops. While this may not be the source of your problem, it might help you run more comfortably.

P.S. I'm happy to report I seem to have cured my breathlessness with better posture and increased warmup before faster paces.

I finished the month off with 5 easy miles yesterday, today I will be helping my son move to a new apartment so no opportunity to run.

I did feel very fresh and wanted to go fast yesterday- its so much more fun than plodding along.

No tips on your injuries, Matt, I have been lucky enough that my only problem was shin splints about 4 years ago. Good luck!

A question about form for you guys- I often run down the white line marking the bike lane at the side of the road and have noticed my footstrikes usually overlap, particularly if I am running faster. In other words my imaginary footprints would not be directly behind each other but also would not be parallel like tracks from cross country skiing. I assume this implies some degree of hip rotation which increases as I lengthen my stride to run faster, so probably a good thing.

Does anyone have any comments on this observation?

Have you ever tried deliberately rotating your hips to run faster without increasing effort? Did it seem to work?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Have you ever tried deliberately rotating your hips to run faster without increasing effort? Did it seem to work?

I tried that once and the results were NOT good. Ended up tweaking my low back.

(MTA: I tried it after reading an article describing it as a natural part of some elite's form (maybe Meb). Perhaps if it is natural to you, it wouldn't throw things out of balance.)

The best way I've found to "run faster without increasing effort" is the "quick feet"' technique where you shorten your stride a bit, don't overuse your quads and hams, and try to move your feet along as quick as you can. This is my own description. There are doubtless much better ways of describing it. I've read about it (increasing cadence) numerous times. It really works to increase your pace and really feels efficient.

One big caution about deliberately changing form for reason x…you run the risk of fouling something else up. I only mention this because it happened to me (foot injury trying to move to deliberately changing foot strike), and your comment that you haven’t faced major injury set back in 4 years.

That, and self-diagnosis of form is tough – that is, there is a good chance the degree to which you can determine how in line or not your footfalls are is compromised, so the degree to which you need to “correct” you might get wrong. In other words, to do this all right you need help (a video and someone who knows what they’re talking about), and you need to keep in mind the carry on effects of change beyond going faster (injury stuff I mentioned before).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes