Half Marathon Trainers

Come Say Hello! (Read 596 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lots of new members joining lately which is awesome!

Say hello and let us know you are here.

I know we've got a good mix of experienced and less experienced folks.

Next month, I'll be doing my first half. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I'll add to Meg's note - It would be great to hear a little bit more about all the folks who have joined us over the last few months.  Yeah, I know we could click on your profile links but it would be easier for the lazy folks if you posted it here!

I'll start:

I'm Matt, I'm originally from the UK , I'm 34 and I live in North Texas (DFW Metromess). I'm married with 2 boys (3 & 5)

I used to play rugby but when the kiddos came along I switched to running. As such I've been "running" for about 2 1/2 years. I found this RA site about 18 months ago and with the help of folkshere. I've cut my HM time from around 2:20 to 1:53

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I will bite.

I live on the edge of New Zealand's largest city Auckland among the 40 odd little volcanic cones and the stunning waitamata harbour

I'm clocking over 40 next year but have been running about 12 months. I love my fine wine and fine food. I used to be fit when young doing a lot of distance cycling and was a handy runner even if not footing it with the best.  I nearly died of influenza a few years ago so fitness went by wayside big time.  Add to that the comforts of marriage, and 3 or 4 years ago I wasn't in good shape at all. 

About 3 years ago I started hiking/ peak bagging a lot and took running up really to improve aerobic fitness for that, but running itself is addictive.  Add to that I have twin 11yo daughters that are very promising runners (already running 22 minute 5km after 6 months at a club (identical best times), they also came 5th and 6th at the Auckland Cross Country Champs this year - 2 seconds between them)

New Zealand has a very laid back/ relaxed culture.  Despite this it punches well above its weight in the sporting world.  It does though at ground level have a tendancy to practice 'tall poppy syndrome'. ie if you set goals and set yourself a focus to achieve people tend to label you as an 'ego'.  It is an attitude I have little time for. I find this forum really good and supportive with lots of people at different stages/ levels all supporting each other.

Catch you all and good running (I am out for 18km easy this morning - hopefully the rain holds off)

V

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
        Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

The newbie

I'm Emily, the newbie ... (waves awkwardly) ... let's see, I'm from Baltimore, married just over a year with no kids, though we do have a Boston Terrier that I adore, hence the avatar. What else ... I love playing and watching (American) football (go Ravens). (I also love parentheses.)

I discovered RA through a friend's rec. I've been running for about three years but only racing and running "seriously" for about six months or so. Actually, what sparked this new addiction was that I decided to try running outside instead of on my boring treadmill. What a revelation! Right then and there, I discovered just how much fun running can be. I'm still pretty slow, but I'm getting stronger every day ... and I'm running my first half in October, right here in my hometown.

HappyFeat

(I know it's lame, but I've cut-and-pasted some of what I wrote on the August threadSmile
            I'm in this group with the ongoing goal of developing a Long Run of at least HM length. I've been running long enough (over 30 years) that I can say that used to be the case. Nothing stays the same though and my Long Run distance has risen and fallen through the years. I typically "run by feel" and don't do a lot of structured "training."  Currently dealing with a case of ischial bursitis which started last April when I was training for a June HM, which I could not do. I'm recovering by running only every other day and at a very slow pace. This has been extremely hard for me since I have typically been an every-day runner (aka slightly compulsive runner) and I'm very sad to see my Pace Bunny run out of sight.  To keep my spirits up, I have signed up to run a HM on Sept. 26 and my Long Run last Saturday was up to 10 miles. I know I'll be able to do the distance by then. I'll be a little bummed if I can't do at least 10 mpm in the event, but I don't want to risk a serious relapse of this bursitis (it's verrrry painful).  I'll know closer to the time how fast I can do it.  My log and profile should be "clickable."  

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, I could do a better intro than what I said in my first post to start this thread.

I'm Meg. I'm 35. I live on the Canadian prairies with my husband and two children (6 and 3 years old). I am a stay at home Mom. I started running in 2008. I laughed at people who said I should get a jogging stroller. Ah, no! Run time is my time and my kids are very familiar with me leaving to run. (Sometimes they like to help me with logging my runs.) I've done a few 5Ks, four 10Ks so far and will do my first half in September. I don't love how slow I am, but I'm hoping that I will improve that now that I'm getting my mileage up during half training.

MTA: Correct typo.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

My interest in running was inspired by my son who decided to lose weight and get in shape, and got amazing results through bike riding, running and working out.

I started running nearly four years ago and have pretty much stuck with it, though I have been very lazy this summer!
                I took a running clinic at the local running store to train for a 10k, and hoped to break 60 minutes. One night they made announcements about upcoming events before we went out to run- one event was the "20 minute challenge". Someone at the back asked what that was and was told it was a 5k run. There was a long silence- then someone else asked "wouldn`t that be a 40 minute challenge?"

I havebeen married 35 years, and we live north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                I have a daughter aged 39 years, who  lives in Zimbabwe (I grew up there) with her husband and my 3 grandsons, and among other things raises crocodiles, they have 400 of them, for leather and to sell the tail meat to restaurants.

My son is now an ultra runner and has done up tp 100 kilometres. He is studying towards a PhD in pure mathematics.

Hello to everyone!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I have been running for a couple years, but not able to stay in training mode for a long period (say a year).  During the off periods, I jog once or twice a week.  Best 10K in recent years was 51'22 achieved in June last year.  Then I stopped for half a year.  Another 10K earlier this year was 57'53 in April.  I am probably in 56'-57' 10K shape now.

Now I am back at it, hope to continue training for a longer time, hopefully can maintain a higher level of running performance.

Look to run a half-marathon early next year, I wish I can run it under 2 hours .

thumbs up!

Hello!
                    I'm Penny, and I'm running my 3rd half this Saturday (gulp!)

The first two didn't go well: hot, undertrained... I finished poorly, walking for part, with pitiful times.

I've been running more consistently however, so finger's crossed. I'm very slow, and a good time for me would be 2:20.

I have another half mid November. Need to increase my miles, add some fast runs and hills to get better.

I'm 46, live in Wisconsin with husband and two boys, 12 & 10. Plus an adorable pug.
                    I can't get any of them to run with me Sad
                    2010 Goals
                    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                    3. sub 30 min 5k
                    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                    Dutchie42

Hi everyone, hi HappyFeat, nice to see you here too,

I joined this check-in a while ago, read the posts, but never posted myself. Guess it's time to come out

I live close to Amsterdam, Netherlands, Europe and started my 2nd running life about 8 years ago. Back then I ran for the fun and fitness of it. I've always exercised religiously (especially TaeKwonDo), so was never out of shape. But a car accident in 2000 landed me with a whiplash and the fast movements in every direction you do with TKD just weren't possible anymore. Running is a purely forward motion, seemed like the right sport for me.

I'm a single mom of 2 boys, I should say men I suppose, 18 and nearly 20yo. I have a nearly fulltime job (every other Thursday off). We also have two dogs and two cats. The cats are mine. One dog, Spooky, always joins me for a run. She needs the exercise, plus I feel much safer when she's with me. More as a deterrent than that she'd actually protect me I take the other one along occasionally. He needs the exercise too cause he would gain weight if he didn't, and although he can run far (up to 10K), and he's really cute, his stopping to sniff&digg is annoying, cause I don't have that much time in the early morning before work. When Spike comes along, I have to add at least 15 minutes to my run.

I follow courses at the Open University, but the past academic year, I've not been so succesfull at it. So far haven't taken even one exam. Which is gonna change, I have two exams planned (late October and December).

I'm signed up for a 10-miler on 19 September and the half marathon distance during the Amsterdam Marathon on 17 October. I'll be 50 next April and will celebrate that with the Vancouver Marathon on 1 May (if anyone knows of any cheap hotels in Vancouver, I'm all ears). Part of marathon training is base building, so that's why I'm currently running 5 days a week, or at least I'm supposed to, with a 23K long run, averaging about 55 kilometers a week total. I'm working on hills (strength) and speed (intervals) now for my half in October.

All my halfs have been big dramas, despite always being prepared really well. Somehow the half is not quite my distance, but I'm hoping this one will finally be enjoyable. I'm aiming to run it in 2h20, which would be a PR by 5 minutes.

Penny: good luck Saturday. You can do it!

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Hiya! I am 34 years old and my doctor told me i am eating like a athlete still but not performing like one.  I enjoy eating way too much and while working shiftwork mostly nights in a rural area it seems not much for good food options sometimes.  fighting some health issues, my work depending on my fitness level, i began running a year ago again.  Felling 2 miles was enough, and long for me over 300 pounds I got bored with it. 

In May 2010 I found www.warriordash.com for a race in September.  So I began training for the exciting 5k.  it was the best time i have had in so long.  since my training in May lost about 35 pounds.  Still a heavy guy on a big frame. Since September I have uped my training for the Half in Seattle in the end of November.  This is really to get me ready for the www.toughmudder.com.  That is my goal. 

My goal for the half is 1. To Finish 2. maybe 2:20 for my time. 

Great site I am using the log to keep me going....  I feel better then I have in a long time.  Great posts ive read and it is totaly a mindset and a way of life. 

I am running this Half for me.  no one is making me everyone says im crazy.  I want to fly that liltte 13.1 decal in my window..... 

Loves the outdoors

I've just joined you, so I'll add my bio.

I'm a 39yo mother of three (6, 4, 2). I started running Feb '09 using the C25K. I had always wanted to be able to run, but had always started trying to run too far and too fast, generally making it out the door for about 3-4 runs before deciding that I wasn't built to be a runner. The C25K changed that and I got addicted to the success. I really love running now and try to run daily. I've done twelve 5K's, two 10k's and a couple of other odd distance races so far. I have decided to give the half marathon distance a go now. 

I live in Wellington, New Zealand. So on the other side of the world from most of you , except vinodrinker. Although, he lives at the other end of the island.  Where I live is wonderful for running. I almost never run on the streets as I have river trails, beach-front and bush trails to choose from. I have hills close by, but I live on the flat so most of my running is still done on the flat. The massive wind we get here acts like a bit of a hill quite often anyway.

I'm signed up for a 17.5km trail race on the 13th Nov and a half in Feb. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Mandy is also a Kiwi, and sometimes makes an appearance here.

Good luck for the trail race.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

and vinodrinker is a kiwi too :-)

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                              Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Hi Smile another Kiwi here. I'm Tricesta, I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and my first HM is in February. I have only been running with concerted effort since January, but I am thoroughly addicted now, and I am really looking forward to stretching out the long runs in the coming months. My only concern is the heat. Mid 30s in the height of summer here, although the race I'm running (bullermarathon.org.nz) is in a cooler part of the island thank goodness. I guess the solution is to run early morning or late evening which is great really - the sun down under is such that I get fried in a few minutes in the middle of the day.

I have a 4 year old son who I care for full time and no running partner! So I'm going it alone, but with lots of sage advice from y'all here, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Yes, we had a big earthquake here in September. However, the city is functioning mostly ok, although many small businesses have suffered, many buildings have been demolished, and there was a lot of damage to our sewer pipes, so portapottys are the sad reality for some homeowners. There are loads of impressive fissures to jump over on my home route by the river, and the occasional aftershock to remind us how lucky we were - no casualities - it is no over-statement to say that that fact is nothing short of a miracle.