Half Marathon Trainers

May training and racing. (Read 47 times)

an amazing likeness

Just had a few minutes to skim through various RA groups I'm in and noticed a few where folks were sharing reports on the Indy Mini Marathon last weekend.  Two things struck me....hard to believe it was 2 years ago I ran that race, because I can remember every detail as though it was last week.  Also, no one here ran it Confused   Used to be a good number of folks that were regular runners in it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Got a weird heat rash that started last Sunday during my 2 hour run in, well, kinda hot humid weather for the first time in a long time.  Finally went to the doc yesterday and got some cream and no longer feel like scratching my skin off Smile

I got three runs in the week of April 29- approx 4, 8 and 12 km respectively

Week of May 6 - only 2 so far (8 and 5k). I have a 2 hour run scheduled for tomorrow and 70-90 minutes on Sunday.

Then hopefully 3 runs the week of May 13. All easy but hopefully at least an hour each. Then the Cleveland half on May 19! Yikes.

Then another week of the same then the Toronto Women's Half on May 26.

Then I might actually look into the idea of, I dunno, a proper training plan and everything for a half on September 28.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Docket_Rocket

Hey, guys.  Sorry I have been MIA but my internet continued being spotty for a month.  Today is the first time we have internet on a Friday night and only because we got AT&T U-Verse installed.  Hope everybody is doing well.

SRD for me today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Happy Mother's Day to all the mums.!

Did some cross training this week but very little running, no problems just taking a rest and working on the yard.

Happy miles to you all!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

This week everything fell apart and I need to get back on track. I need to start running early again.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

Meg, I think I'm kind of in the same boat, my excuse is 12 hour night shift all week for 72 total hours. That's way too much for this old guy. I did manage to get 18 miles for the week compared to my 35, so I shouldn't complain . Hang in there, life always gets in the way from time to time, as do injuries.

MT, I read some of the race reports too. I really want to do a big destination race like that, but for now, I can stick to the local ones.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Got me an entry to the Auckland Half Marathon this year, first weekend in Nov.  Planning on doing better than my 1:48 last year but don't think the old legs have got the time for my other tow half marathons in them any more (1:38).....

see how we go!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Zelanie

Hi folks.  Still battling this knee.  In spite of taking almost a month off, it was hurting after 1 mile yesterday.  I have an appointment on Tuesday, so hopefully I will get some answers.  One thing that I think is probably connected is that I have some soreness right at the top of my thighs.  It never stopped me from running, so I never worried about it, but it also hasn't gone away with a month of rest.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Z, do you do any yoga? Sometimes poses that are known for being hip openers can help with that tightness. Might be worth looking into too?

Two solid runs this weekend. Pretty happy with that.

Happy Mother's Day to the Half-Running Moms. (I'm not the only one in here.) Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Docket_Rocket

Hope the doctor can help!

Hi folks.  Still battling this knee.  In spite of taking almost a month off, it was hurting after 1 mile yesterday.  I have an appointment on Tuesday, so hopefully I will get some answers.  One thing that I think is probably connected is that I have some soreness right at the top of my thighs.  It never stopped me from running, so I never worried about it, but it also hasn't gone away with a month of rest.

Hi, guys.  Recovery week went nicely.  DH started run/walking three weeks ago but his knee hurt this week so I put him on IR until tomorrow. Today, his knee was better but I told him to wait for another day.  I am run/walking those miles with him and I'm stoked.  Hope he continues.

AND HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Damaris, I hope he sticks with it, not sure he will be as badass as you though Joking. My wife tried last spring with me, and when her knees started hurting, we tried rest, patella strap, and the sorts. She finally had to stop for fear of making things worse.

Zel, I have no idea what could be going on with your knee, but I sure hope the doc can get you fixed right up.

This last week has sucked! I somehow managed to get 18 miles while working 12 hour night shifts for a 72 hour work week. This week will be 72 hours also, but it's day shift, so I should have some more time to run in the evenings. I start my weeks on Sunday, and got in 6.2 miles this evening. I found a cell phone while running in my neighborhood, and just as I was finishing up, the phone rang. I run it back over to the owner, and he gave me a $20 finders fee. I really didn't want to accept it, but he insisted.

Zelanie

Meg- I've done some stretching and have started some hip/glute/hammy strength work, but nothing formal.  Long term, I'll need to figure something more consistent out.

D- What race is next for you?

Mitch- 72 hour weeks back to back, yikes!  Hang in there!

Docket_Rocket

Well, his knee still hurts so he's taking another week off.  IT's not the knee as much as the part where the meniscus is.  His pain is like 1 of 10 so not bad, but he is being careful.  I just hope his extended layoff does not make him quit!

Z, I have a 10K this week and a 5K the next (both for fun), but my next marathon is SF on 06/16.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Good to hear from you, Vino!

Zelanie, take it easy.

Best wishes to your DH Docket.

Mitch, you are going to need a holiday!

Lousy cold windy weather here, possibly contributed to slow times at a big 10k in Toronto on the weekend. The winner usually finishes in 28 minutes as it is a really fast course, but this year it was 30Tight lippedx, and a runner I never heard of before.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm going to join in on this group again!  The past two and a half years have been very hard - both my sons (now 18 and 20) were diagnosed with severe mental illnesses.  It's taken all of my energy and strength just to take care of them.  My older son was in the hospital a total of 32 days in the period of March 9 to April 23.  But I'm realizing (duh!) that I need to take care of myself, so I have started running and exercising very regularly.

I DID run/walk the St. Louis Half Marathon, along with about 15 other RunningAhead gals in early April (happened to be in between the two hospitalizations, fortunately).  It was painful - took me about 3 hours, 10 minutes.  But I did it, and it helping motivate me now.  I'm going to sign up for another half marathon late September or early October.  I've also signed up for the Beach to Beacon 10K in August.

It feels good to be back!!