Half Marathon Trainers

May training and racing. (Read 47 times)

Zelanie - sorry to hear about your injury.  at least it is "manageable".  look for ward to chatting more with you too!  Smile

Tammarin.....

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tamma, I just realized I never said thanks for the welcome, so thanks!  I look forward to getting t know you!

Zelanie,  I hope the PT goes well!  I'm clompy, too, and worry about it.  Is there anything to do to change that??

Zelanie

Teresa- I think they will do a more thorough gait analysis on Tuesday.  I will let you know what I learn!

Hi Theresa!

Sorry to hear of your sons' problems- but it is nice to see you posting again.

I well remember the photos from your trip to RSA, especially the penguins!

I have been my usual inconsistent self but have run a decent half earlier this year and hope to follow up with a few other races.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Very busy this week.  Managed 3.25, 2.5 with hubby who is restarting his run/walk plan since the knee pain, and weights, on Tuesday.  SRD on Wednesday as I had a dinner, and 14 today.  After my 10 this morning, I almost passed out.  4 in the afternoon, 2 with hubby.  No passing out yet!

Hope everybody is having a great week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Z, hope recovery and PT go well.  You said you could run.  Hope you're able to work some running plan with the PT.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Almost gave up on the North Shore HM on 6/2 after flu/cold last week, but 6 miles felt good today, so maybe we will do it after all.  Still need a few LR's.  Going to wait to register until maybe a week out and hope for cool weather.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Simon!  My parents have gotten back to South Africa a couple of more times since I went.  Hard not to be envious!

So I ran six days again this week.  Two weeks in a row!  And my mileage total was 22. 9 miles, the most I've done in a week in a long time.  My new strategy is working well.  As soon as I roll out of bed, I put my running clothes on.  If there is anything that HAS to be done, I do it quickly then get out the door before my body can protest too much.  I know if I allow myself to THINK about running, I won't do it!

hog4life

Well heck, the LR was a bust. I ended with 5.11 but was hoping for 10-11. I think the 66.5 hour week this week, and the 74 hour week last week has put a small kink in my running. Next week should be about 50 hours, so I hope it will be a better week. I suppose I shouldn't complain, and I seriously don't want it to sound like I am,  I still managed to end the week with 25 miles.

I've done a some thinking/planning, and about have all my thoughts together for my fall plan, which will include 3 halves an a full. I'll try to post up a thread tomorrow if I don't spend all day sleeping.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did part 1 of my LR with 10 miles this morning, no fainting this time.  It's 80F and 70 dewpoint already so I called it quits for now.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I haven't posted for awhile. I ran the Bluenose HM in Halifax (Canada) yesterday. 

I was pretty undertrained ( lost the consistent battle with colds and work this spring) so I decided to run it like a training run - trying to hold a particular pace for 10 miles - and then jog it in - rather than an evenly paced run. And that's pretty much what happened. I ran the first half with the 2:20:00 pace bunny 10:40 m/m let him go on a hilly section, still maintained pace to 10 miles but decided to walk the 4 major hills and then jogged/ walked it in and squeaked in at 2:30:00. also nice to run by effort and without the Garmin. Effort level 8. Legs are ok this morning.  Just ok. Hoping to stick with that 2:20:00 bunny later this fall - with much more consistent training!

Some thoughts: i liked the Ryan Hall plan, I'll tweak it some more for my fall half. I liked the interval runs I felt more confident running faster, that will help with my summer 10k. I tried to weight train on a cross training day and I don't think that works for me. I need 5 runs per week - Ill weight train through the winter when the weather breaks.

Happy Monday ! A

Recalculating...

redleaf

I haven't posted for awhile. I ran the Bluenose HM in Halifax (Canada) yesterday. 

I was pretty undertrained ( lost the consistent battle with colds and work this spring) so I decided to run it like a training run - trying to hold a particular pace for 10 miles - and then jog it in - rather than an evenly paced run. And that's pretty much what happened. I ran the first half with the 2:20:00 pace bunny 10:40 m/m let him go on a hilly section, still maintained pace to 10 miles but decided to walk the 4 major hills and then jogged/ walked it in and squeaked in at 2:30:00. also nice to run by effort and without the Garmin. Effort level 8. Legs are ok this morning.  Just ok. Hoping to stick with that 2:20:00 bunny later this fall - with much more consistent training!

Some thoughts: i liked the Ryan Hall plan, I'll tweak it some more for my fall half. I liked the interval runs I felt more confident running faster, that will help with my summer 10k. I tried to weight train on a cross training day and I don't think that works for me. I need 5 runs per week - Ill weight train through the winter when the weather breaks.

Happy Monday ! A

I haven't looked at the Ryan Hall plan so I'll check It out. I have to figure out a training plan for my september half. I got the book Run Faster but it requires more thought than I know I have right now (considering I'm only on page like 8 of the book) I've still got about 40 pounds to lose too so I'll just have to see how it goes.

good job on your race A - enjoy today's day off Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Redleaf, I have used the RH plan twice now and will continue using it until someone or something changes my mind and convinces me that another plan is better. It has a lot of speed work, and can sometimes prove to be too much at times. The work out that I feel does the most good are called the "race simulation", or "race sim" for short. An example would be 11 miles total, first 6 easy, last 5 at HM pace plus 10-15 seconds. I have the plan saved, so if you need or want it, let me know.

I hope to get 5-6 this afternoon, but kind of tweaked my knee on Sat so will have to wait and see.

Sounds like you did the right thing for the condition you were in, Ayola.

I envy you having Point Pleasant Park to run through, but some of the hills in town are not so appealing!

Redleaf I am sure you will lose the baby weight and get back in shape, be patient but keep your goal in mind. Try putting a calendar up and marking a target weight for each month then track your actual progress. Put the calendar near the snack food- my son lost about 25lbs since October.

Good job on running six days Teresa.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

thanks hog4life. I found this online - is it the same thing? I'll be able to read it over tomorrow but at a first glance I'm already a bit scared!

and thanks Simon - our first step was actually to get rid of all the junk. Easy enough to do when Q is still 2 Smile I'm trying to take it slowly, knowing that it took me almost 40 years to get to the point I'm at now (and yep, I was that over-weight grade 2 kid) so my habits aren't going to change overnight but I'm working on them!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362