Half Marathon Trainers

May training and racing. (Read 47 times)

hog4life

thanks hog4life. I found this online - is it the same thing? I'll be able to read it over tomorrow but at a first glance I'm already a bit scared!

and thanks Simon - our first step was actually to get rid of all the junk. Easy enough to do when Q is still 2 Smile I'm trying to take it slowly, knowing that it took me almost 40 years to get to the point I'm at now (and yep, I was that over-weight grade 2 kid) so my habits aren't going to change overnight but I'm working on them!

No it's not the same. The plan that I have is a 10 week and is quite a bit more user friendly. The one I have also does a "short" and "long" plan. The difference is total weekly miles, recovery time between the intervals, and number of intervals.

redleaf

No it's not the same. The plan that I have is a 10 week and is quite a bit more user friendly. The one I have also does a "short" and "long" plan. The difference is total weekly miles, recovery time between the intervals, and number of intervals.

Oh then I'd love to have a look! I'll send a note with my email if that works.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Oh then I'd love to have a look! I'll send a note with my email if that works.

I sent you an email with the links, let me know if they don't work.

Yup, I used the 10 week plan H4L mentioned. I had some extra time so I added rest weeks in that correlated with my work schedule. I'm going to try it again for an October HM starting mid July (after vacation). For now  I'm Building up base miles, getting the food in check and maybe some yoga until then.

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

Drive-by post with only a few minutes to skim everyone's updates....

Ayola - congrats on the Blue Nose finish. I didn't make is this year due to a work conflict, but even Mrs Milktruck, a reluctant traveler at best, asked if we were heading to Halifax again.

I'm a fan of the Hal Hidgon plans and recommend them heartily, I say this with no background on the Ryan Hall plans everyone references. Personally, I like the pattern of the HH plans...and basically use that pattern in my routine workouts, even when not following a plan specifically.

On the injury front...I seem to have made it through the worst of things and have been able to log some steady weeks of 45+/- miles. Had a steady everyday streak of 15 days going until some work travel got in the way on Sunday. First HM for 2013 coming in 2 weeks, first one since last December...longest gap in a long, long time. Getting anxious thinking about heading into it with only a few workouts over 10 mi. Gulp.

HappyFeat --- how's your recovery going?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

MilkTruck- Glad to see you're getting some good miles in again!  Good luck in your HM!

I had my PT appointment and was able to run 1.5 miles without pain on the TM there.  So he says I can go ahead and start running about 2 miles as long as there's no pain.  And he was talking about my next half. Smile  So good news!  I think it's mostly being sensible about training and not letting the hip & quad work slide because I feel like I "don't have time" since I'm spending all of my free time running.  A cutback week in March would have paid for itself many times over by now.

HappyFeat

HappyFeat --- how's your recovery going?

Good luck on your upcoming HM, MT. You'll do fine, I'm sure. Just don't "race" it and get a relapse.

I'm making steady progress. The key is not pushing the pace and running on a smooth surface - no trails or anything that requires sudden adjustments. I tried 3 miles in one of my runs last week at what was my EZ pace (before injury), but it was still too fast for my leg.  So I'm keeping it slow and steady, getting my miles in.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Great news Melanie !!!

MilkTruck- Glad to see you're getting some good miles in again!  Good luck in your HM!

I had my PT appointment and was able to run 1.5 miles without pain on the TM there.  So he says I can go ahead and start running about 2 miles as long as there's no pain.  And he was talking about my next half. Smile  So good news!  I think it's mostly being sensible about training and not letting the hip & quad work slide because I feel like I "don't have time" since I'm spending all of my free time running.  A cutback week in March would have paid for itself many times over by now.

Ran 5k tempo today, then walked for 2 minutes then another 5k tempo. Total 54:16, and pretty tired at the end.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Great news Melanie !!!

Thanks, Jerry!  We miss you in the Penguins thread!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

24.3 miles this week, the most I've done in a long time.  I've decided to put my running clothes on when I first wake up, so I have no excuses.  I run Wednesday through Monday, then take Tuesday off.  I'm psyched!

HappyFeat

I managed to re-tweak my injured left hamstring yesterday afternoon - yes againRoll eyes  Taking 2 days off running.  Hope to do my scheduled 10 miles tomorrow.

hog4life

Sorry guys and gals, I've been MIA for awhile and been feeling really crappy. Its rather depressing to not be able to get outside to run. During my 5 mile run last Saturday, I felt a twinge in my knee. This initially happened at around 2 miles. The pain was very sharp and only lasted for a split second, then was fine. I continued running and felt this pain twice more, no big deal, right? Wrong! The next day it hurt any time I put pressure on it or tried to step up, like walking up stairs. I have to climb stairs at work, and my knee continued to hurt all week. So, I have not run all week, and will pull a DNS for my 10k on Monday. I'm hoping the 3 day weekend with no stairs and no running for several more days will do the trick. And of course all this will play into my fall plan, I really need to start getting registered for all the races I want to do.

I've also got news that my FIL had a setback with his health, so the wife and I made the 9 hour drive to spend the weekend with him.

I hope you solve the knee problem, Mitch, that is rather worrying. Good luck!

I had a new experience last night- my son ran a 100 mile trail ultra, finishing in 24hrs and 29 minutes.

I was really proud of him, but it really took a lot out of him. I paced him from midnight to the end at 6:30 am. We covered only 25 miles in that time, a lot of it walking. He was completely unable to run for the last hour and twenty minutes. He says he will never do it again, but is proud of what he did, and raised a lot of money for a charity in Africa.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Wow Simon, what a memorable accomplishment for you and your son. What a great dad you are!!