Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - February 2010 (Read 815 times)

WOW, awaldvogel!!!  I cannot imagine 90 minutes on a treadmill.  Once I did 7 miles indoors on a 0.1 mile fitness club track.......about went out of my skull!!!!  This has been a really cold and wet/snowy winter here in Denver, but even still I think I have only NOT run maybe 2 days because of the weather.  I am still willing to do sub-zero temps and even snow.......but that indoors thing just kills me.  More power to you!!!!

I had a nice long run on Sunday......12+ miles in the beautiful snowy rocky mountains.  We spent the weekend in Estes Park, CO and I ran from there back toward Denver over some BIG hills.   Altitude was a real challenge, but overall the route lost elevation.  Still on track for my training plans this year and my race in late March.

I hope everyone out east (USA for our non-American friends) isn't getting hit too hard with all the snow.......take care and be safe!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I did 70 minutes on the TM last night.  I don't mind it since it's so cool in our basement.  I keep the radio blaring, too!

The indoor track at our local Y is 19 laps to a mile.  10 laps to a mile would be heavenly, lol!  I don't think I'll need to use the Y track anymore, thank goodness, since our new TM is working so well for me.

Larry, where are you?  I haven't heard anything from you lately.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I haven't posted here in awhile. Mostly hanging out in the low heart rate and pre-dawn patrol forums. My training for the 2/27 Fort Worth Cowtown half is going well. Have been able to run 5-6x/wk and getting in 5-7 hrs. Mileage is up as well. Did 6.5 the other morning at better than half pace including warm up and cool down!

We had snow, yes snow in North Texas this morning so went to gym with little air circulation. Quit after 40 min. dreadmills are well, dreadful for me. I'm a heavy sweater and get to warm with indoor running.

btw:my longest dreadmill run was a 3hr, 12+ mi run one Sunday morning last Nov because of heavy rain! I was the first one in the gym that morning and carefully picked out a dreadmill that had the best air circ. I had my water and gu's and did 3 hrs of run/walk 1min each - for 3 hours! I had my talk and news podcasts on my mp3 and just stuck with it. I needed to get a 3hr run in so I could be sure I could finish my first half. I hope to never repeat such an event again!

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I just checked - our last snow here in Maine was on January 20!!

Rest day today.  I should get some sleep! 

Matt, you were in India? Tell us about it, please.

Not much to tell

I work for a global telco vendor in the services division. Our global services HQ is on the outskirts of New Delhi.

I have to go report to the mother ship every 6 - 9 months, this is the third time I've been.

Embarrassingly, we are so well looked after that "seeing Incredible India" isn't really an option.

Every trip involves pick up from airport & driven to hotel in Downtown New Delhi, then:

pick up in the morning @ hotel & driven to office, pick up from office & driven to a restaurant, pick up from restaurant & driven to hotel. Repeat as required then pick up from hotel & driven to airport.

The hotel is fantastic (for the same price as the Hampton Inn in Olathe, KS by the way, just as a comparison) as is the food and the hospitality. The country cliches are there Cows in the street, people everywhere, crazy-ass construction,seemingly abject poverty right next to exorbitant wealth but I am too ignorant of the culture and the issues to pass any meaningful comment.

The trip itself is a killer - leave DFW Monday lunchtime, Chicago Monday night, Deli by Tuesday night. Meetings Wednesday & Thursday (11.5 hrs time difference). Leave Delhi 11:30pm Thursday, 5am Breakfast in Chicago and back in Dallas by 10:30am. Bleugh!

One day I will go back as a tourist and do it properly, it is an amazing country.

Did not get any mangoes this time round!

On the running front - all 21 of my "easy" miles were on the treadmill this week which is not preferred but at least I got them in. Today, my long run was in the slushy aftermath of the DFW Metromess's Snowmageddon week. 13.1 cold and slow miles with very damp feet - but it was great to be outside!

Broke 200 miles year to date today too, so still on track for 1500 miles in 2010.

Keep pegging away the lot of you and good luck to those racing over the next few weeks.

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

got in a 2:19hr run in today, covered 10mi. Tried out race strategy which is running 1-2mi then walking a min to drink and refuel. Worked out ok. Race day will tell.

Matt -I've had jobs with 70-90 % travel, including international. It's not as glamorous as people think for sure. Lots of work, hotel rooms, cars, cabs, and very little to see. What one does just to sleep in your own bed. One job, I was living in CT, near New Haven. Would get picked up at 4 am by a limo, head to JFK or Newark airpport for a flight to LA or San Fransisco for a meeting near the airport. Meeting would run thru the evening and dinner then I'd catch the 10pm red eye back to NYC, get picked up by a limo,sleep in the back seat and get dropped at home to shower, shave and get to work by 9 or 10am! that would let me sleep in my own bed that night! Young and crazy I was, that and young kids helped drive the insanity. Hang in there. Occasionally you might get a chance for a few minutes of site seeing. But what good is it if yer alone!

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Hangin' with Hal!

Hey y'all,

Long time no post on here.  I think I quit posting around the time I suffered a hip injury back at the end of October.  Fortunately, all is good now, tried to run the White Rock Half in December, it wasn't pretty...I did finish in 2:25, but it was a run/walk the last 4 or 5 miles due to the hip acting up.  Took a couple of weeks off after that, no running whatsoever, then prepped the last week or so of December and first week of January for the First Light Half in Mobile, where I set a PR, 1:57:25, with the hip about 80%!  Next race is at the end of the month, the Rock n Roll Mardi Gras Half in New Orleans on 2/28.  Plus building up for my first full marathon in Pittsburgh in May.  Feeling stronger than ever, looking for sub-1:50 in Nawlins.

Training-wise, I've been picking back up, finished with 95.5 miles last month, already up to 55 for this month.  Despite not posting here of late, I've been diligently plugging my training into the logs on here, especially love being able to download the training from my Garmin into the logs.  Plus had my first 30-mile week since the injury last week, helped in part by a 14-miler last night.

Looks like everyone's doing good here!

- Rob

Punkelvis

Hey Everyone!

My name is chris norman and Iam running my first half in June. The edgetoedge marathon in British Columbia. A quick question for everyone. 2 runs ago I did a 11km run that left me thinking bowling might be a better option. Today I ran an 8 km hill run that I think I could have doubled the distance easily . Accepting the fact that not all runs are great like this one. Does the frequency of crappy runs get less as you get more advanced?

Hey Everyone!

My name is chris norman and Iam running my first half in June. The edgetoedge marathon in British Columbia. A quick question for everyone. 2 runs ago I did a 11km run that left me thinking bowling might be a better option. Today I ran an 8 km hill run that I think I could have doubled the distance easily . Accepting the fact that not all runs are great like this one. Does the frequency of crappy runs get less as you get more advanced?

Chris, welcome to the group. Personally, the "crappy runs" are a lot less frequent then when I started, and I've been at this for less than a year.  Also, now that I think about it, the definition of "crappy run" has changed for me.  9 months ago struggling through 3 miles was a bad day. Now 6 miles at a decent pace, where I just never felt "good" is a bad day.  Then again a 10 miler where I push the pace the last few miles and I am wiped at the end may actually feel worse, but I definitely don't consider that a "crappy run".

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Chris- my experience is that since starting low heart rate training I have had more good to great runs that lousy ones. I had suffered from over training, running to hard to often and got injured - typical new runner stuff. You'd think us seniors would know better, but we can be dumb sometimes! Found run/walk which allowed me to heal, then the low heart rate forum here on RA. The lhr approach has really been great. I run more often, longer and father on training runs than before and pace has been steadily improving - without injury. Not being injured certainly has helped the feeling of having more good runs. But the bad ones still come and go.

status- big day is next Sat 2/27 - Cowtown half. Haven't raced since the Thanksgiving day Atlanta half. With the way training has been going - an easy 4.7mi this morning with overall pace (including 1mi walk/jog warm up, .7 mi jog/walk cool down) at 13:00 - 30 sec faster than Atlanta pace givesme confidence that I'll hit a sub 13 pb next week. Might run a 5k Sun and could pb because the middle 3 mi at just below target hr were faster than 5k pb. Will be first anaerobic running since Atlanta. Am looking forward to the push.

bob e v

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Not sure how I missed this one, but I'll post despite having not much to say. The half I want to do opened up registration this week so I'm debating registering now even though last year it didn't fill up until mid-June; it's a marathon/half marathon/relay in mid-Sept. I'm working on building my mileage and stretching out my runs after a few (stupid) weeks off in late 2009. I feel like I'm getting nowhere and like I'm going to be slow forever, but I think that's just winter and dealing with planning routes for running around wind/windchill/cleared paths/etc.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Punkelvis

Good luck to everyone on there next big race. Ran a 13km for the first  to day and felt like a million. another month and I will be off the TM and on to the pavement. I live in a fairly prolific black bear area. Does any one run with mace or bells? Or in lieu of that have any other tips for not being eaten? I didnt run all this way for smokey the bear to reduce his fat intake.

under a rock

I just got in my last run before my first half marathon coming up this Saturday. I'm so ready for this, I can hardly wait until the weekend. I've been day dreaming about it all week.

Hope everyone else's training is going well!

Go Ashley!

Let us know your time goal, around 2 hours?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

under a rock

Go Ashley!

Let us know your time goal, around 2 hours?

Since it's a trail race I'm aiming for around 2:30.