Half Marathon Trainers

Flying Pig Half (Read 220 times)

Hi Everyone, Well I finished my 14th half marathon today in Cincinnati at The Flying Pig. Time 1:56:42 Goal was sub 1:54. 16 minutes from PR but faster than my last 3. Big grin The Pig is mostly uphill mile 5-8, but not as steep as I'm used to. The last 5k has 2 long downhill sections that I thought I could fly down but my feet just wouldn't go. I was painfree and not tired but I just couldn't pick up the pace as much as I wanted. So I just kept running "wee, wee, wee all the way to the finish swine". Wink I think if could my change my training I would add some 1/2 mile repeats at 5k pace. If I could change race tactics I would push harder up the hills since they were not as steep as I thought they would be. I finished pain free & feeling pretty good. So I ain't complaining. Cool DW had 2:20:21? Her goal was sub 2:21 so she was right on target Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Nice race... for you and your DW.
        Fantastic job--both of you!

Prince of Fatness

Nice job, Sarge.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Well done on a tough course.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Sarge ... Just looking at this again and wanted to chime in on the speed work. I'm not sure that running a 5K pace during HM training is necessary. For me long tempos were the answer. My speed work consisted of those, plus I would fast finish my LRs occasionally. In my mind though, what really put me over the top was getting out for a 2 hour run every weekend for 3 solid months. My endurance was there and it showed at the end. Just some food for thought. Anyway, great race for you with the added bonus of having your wife there, too. Good luck with your running!

Not at it at all. 

Mr PH, I agree 100% that lengthing tempo runs is the most important workout for half m. training with the long run a close 2nd. My plan for the race went well for the first 10 miles, only about 35 sec. behind schedule. I thought I could do the mostly downhill last 5k in 23 min. or less. Since I got to the 10 mile mark close to schedule, felt pain free (that didn't happen my last 3 half's) and fresh not tired, I was very disappointed I could only manage about 25:20 for the last 5k. I was feeling good but just couldn't make the feet go any faster. That is frustrating because I used to run sub 21:00 just 6 years ago. I don't plan on quitting my long or tempo runs but just adding some 800 meter repeats at 5k pace & getting ready for a few 5k races. I want to do another half this fall & don't want my distance base to break down. Basically I'm trying to say that if I don't train some at sub 8:00 min. pace I can't expect to race it even down hill. Thanks for your input I do appreciate it PH Smile Also thanks to everyone for your support both before & after the race. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.