Half Marathon Trainers

Hello ole friends (Read 19 times)

Been a very long time since I've been on here, but recognize a few of the same ole names.

For those of you who don't know me (or remember me) I'm Larry and used to be very active in this group, in fact I was even moderator at one point.

Back in the fall of 2009 I had a stellar year, hitting PRs in the 1/2M and a 5K on back to back weekends, I was really cooking.

Unfortunately life wasn't good to me and my health took a very funny twist.  Within a few months, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without stopping to catch my breathe.  By early 2010 I was having breathing attacks and wound up in the hospital several times.  They couldn't figure it out.  By spring I could barely run a mile and had to quit.  Tests test and more tests and all they could say is you have a breathing disorder "DUH".

Cutting thru all that crap, I managed to come back in Sept 2013 and ran another half, not a PR, but at 60 to run 154 and some change, not bad. Sadly that was the last race I've ever run.

But it's not all doom and gloom and I'm persistent and this year went to a new Pulmonologist. She believes it’s related to Agent Orange.  My brother died in 2011 from Lung and brain cancer which they attributed to Agent Orange.  I had to question how it could still be in my lungs after almost 40 years, but she assured me that this stuff never leaves your lung, it’s like asbestos if you breathed it’s in them. I don’t have cancer, but the condition is like COPD, which is why they were treating me for COPD.

So she’s got me on stronger inhaler, going to therapy and learning better breathing technics etc and have had oxygen treatments. I haven’t run in a few years, but she gave me the okay to do a couple of runs last month and I did a mile on 1 run and about 1 ¼ on the other.  Saw her last week and she gave me the go ahead to run on days that I feel good.

So here is my report on that progress.  1.5 M on Monday 2.0 M on Wed and 2.3 M today.  I won’t tell you the times, because they are pretty embarrassing but I’m excited that I’ve been able do that much.

I have no expectations, no goals (I know that returning to form and running 1/2s again is out of the question), but I know all of you will understand what it means to be able to get back out and put one foot in front of the other again and feel that pavement under your feet.

It’s been a great trip down memory lane reading some of the old posts and then the recent ones on how folks are doing.

So with that my friends, good night and keep plugging along, because every day that you wake up in the morning, you set a personal record of “Consecutive Days Lived’.  Try to enjoy every one of them.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good to hear you are getting some answers and some progress, Larry! One of the wonderful things about our sport is that the road is always waiting, whether it's been one day, one week or longer since the last run. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Larry - I remember! Smile I took over the group from you in early 2010!

Saddened to read the early parts of your story but inspired by the comeback. Keep plugging along yourself and keep us updated with how you get along.

Great to hear from you! 

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Meg and Matt, thanks for the inspirational words.

I had a bad week last week, breathing was off and I was not feeling well, so I only managed one run, it combination of a 3M with a short walk at the 2M mark.

But feeling good this week and the weather was perfect last night and I did 3M without stopping. Amazing how it improves my mood.

LPH

I am back and trying again. I was trying last year and ended up having some surgery in March which ended that thought.

My breathing has been pretty under control and I have learned when to sit it out and take it easy.

I have been going to the gym and working out 3-4 days a week and getting stronger and running on the treadmill. Switched Gyms to the YMCA which has a nice double basketball court and on days there is nothing going on, I run in there. Ran 60 solid minutes last week and Monday this week and 72 solid mins today. Pace is slow but the fact that I'm able to do it is quite encouraging. Afraid to run outside due to the cold air in my lungs, but looking forward to spring. We are heading south in Mid March and looking at running a 5K if the weather is good, it will be my first 5K since 2009 and in fact would be only the second race since 2009.

Still see some familiar names including Canadian Meg, MattJ, Milktruck, Hog4life and others.  I wasn't even sure if the group was still active, but good to see it has survived.

Hopefully, I'll be able to continue this and stop in and post my progress from time to time.

And remember: Today I set a personal record, "Most of consecutive days lived"

LPH

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome back! Smile

If you are looking for 5ks, check out parkrun and see if there are any where you are going. Free and timed 5ks every Saturday.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.