Half Marathon Trainers

April (Read 44 times)

hog4life

Here's the April thread.

I started today with 9 miles and have another half on Saturday.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Mitch!

I have a short recovery run and weights tonight.  I feel much better than this weekend and hope the asthma is on the mend.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I am ashamed to admit I scarcely ran at all last week, less than 10 miles, and fell short of my goal for the month.

No particular reason, just felt sort of tired and burnt out.

This morning ran 10k in windy conditions with light snow. Felt pretty good after the rest.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Zelanie

Hi Mitch, Damaris, and Simon!

Mitch- Good luck this weekend!  You are a racing machine!

Damaris- Hope the asthma is improving!

Simon- I am hoping you feel better after the rest!

me- Well I am in full-on taper mode now I guess.  I was out of town most of last week, but still got my runs in.  But last night was supposed to be my last speed session (3 x 1 mi. @ "old" 10K pace), but my right hip started feeling tight/sore midway through the second.  So I finished that interval, but jogged out the rest of the day's miles instead of trying to run fast.   Then today I got home late and tired and decided on a URD.  This feels very much unlike my normal "go, go, go" mentality, but I figure that I can do more harm at this point by doing too much than too little.  Hoping the leg feels good for my run tomorrow.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Yes, the asthma has finally improved but the heat and humidity are here, so I'm not running any better, bah.

I did 10, 5, and 10 Tuesday through Thursday.  All super slow.  I want December to come in already, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Things picking up for me this week- had a pretty decent run yesterday, about 10.5 miles and with a blustery cold wind but ran fairly well.

We went out for dinner and had a rather expensive but wonderful meal to celebrate our 38th anniversary.

Ran an easy paced 6k tonight, planning about 14 miles tomorrow.

My son has completed his last long run (45 miles) before his ultra on May 26th. I am quite nervous for him. We are planning to get a room at a B and B nearby so we can see him come round every 3 hours as it is an 8 lap race at 12.5 miles per lap. The idea of having spare headlamps, several changes of socks and running shoes and going for most of the weekend seems weird- ultra runners are a different breed of cat.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

Finished my HM in 1:55:13 today. Details and a report tomorrow.

Simon, kuddo to your son. And congrats to you on 38 years, you don't see that too much these days. It will be my 30th in September.

Zelanie

One week until race day, and my hip is giving me trouble!  I can't remember what I posted about it here before, but I felt it for the first time at the end of last Saturday's 7 miler.  My right hip started feeling tight and hurt a bit.  Nothing I couldn't run through, but uncomfortable.  I didn't think too much of it, because I didn't feel it at all on the next day's run.  But on Tuesday, it was back again about halfway into my (interval) run.

I took a URD on Wed., and on Thursday I could feel it, but barely.  Friday I didn't feel it at all.  But yesterday, it came back pretty strong just a mile into my run.  I called off the run at 2 miles and walked home.

The soreness is right where my femur connects to the hip on the right side.  I can feel something click over the bone with each step.  I wonder if it's the top if my IT band, because my IT band is very tight when I roll that side.

For now, lots of foam rolling, and no running until Wednesday.  Let's see if I can still be in racing shape by next weekend!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  It's a new week!  Finished with 60 miles last week and I'm happy about that.  5 miles and weights tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

I need to find another half to sign up for! Got 8.7 last night with the last 2 with my pup.

daneda

Wowzers, I haven't posted here yet this month!  School has been keeping my busy, that is for sure.  But I've been consistent with my running and trying to get on the trails as much as possible.  It's nice that spring has finally arrived!

Things were a bit toasty here the past few days and since I'm not super acclimated to the warmth yet (and I had a hard run the day before) I opted to wait for the sun to go down last night before heading out for a nice 8 miles.

Today I was gonna double up with a run this morning and this evening, but I woke up to lightning and thunder, so looks like it'll only be an evening run for me today.  This weekend will bring temps in the 60s, so lots of trail time is planned for me.

Hope everyone's month is going well...

Zelanie

Quiet in here this month.  I just did my last pre-race-day run and am feeling pretty good!  The extra days off seem to have helped and I think that I'm ready.

Simon- 12.5 mile laps sounds like such an experience!  How fun that you will get to cheer him on 8 times, though!

Damaris- Congrats on getting 60 last week!

Daneda- Hope you have a great time on the trails this weekend!

Snickers1230

I haven't run too much yet this month.  Did an easy 3 last night and plan to do another easy run tonight or tomorrow.  Then a medium long run on Sunday.  I hope to be back to my 20ish mpw next week and then build up to 25-30 from there.  I plan on using the summer months to do base building and hope to build to 40-45 mpw by September-ish.  I want to see how more miles, but no set training plan will help to improve my half time.  I am currently registered for a half on November 10th and that will most likely be my next half.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Rse

Hi Everyone I'm new

Nice to meet you all.

Smile

Fran

hog4life

Hi Everyone I'm new

Nice to meet you all.

Smile

Hello Fran, nice to meet you. I'm Mitch, over 50 YO(haha), 4 HM's under my belt, hope to do my first full this fall, live in N Alabama, colon cancer survivor.