Half Marathon Trainers

Bah, that sucked! (Read 358 times)

Princess Cancer Pants

I only ran for 40 minutes this AM, but every step was miserable. 5 minutes from my house it started to rain. And it's only 50º. Ick. I was achey and tired. I haven't slept well in the past couple of weeks and that combined with recovering from my race Sat. is catching up with me. TGIF, since that is my next non-running day. But DH is in Chicago for the next 2 nights hanging with his folks while his dad undergoes some experimental cancer treatments, so hopefully I can catch up on sleep. Part of my problem has been that his alarm has been waking me up and I've been unable to get back to sleep. Tongue k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

bas

<converting> Ooh, that's cold in september! <checking> Sheesh! You don't give yourself much of a rest, do you? Maybe you should take some more rest days after a race. Or at least one rest day after the first run after a race... I went to a club training yesterday. I didn't finish the complete program and today I did not run at all, and I did not feel like running either. Give that girl a break Smile bas</checking></converting>

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

bas

<converting> Ooh, that's cold in september! And what do you mean, *only* 40 minutes?? <checking> Sheesh! You don't give yourself much of a rest, do you? Maybe you should take some more rest days after a race. Or at least one rest day after the first run after a race... I went to a club training yesterday. I didn't finish the complete program and today I did not run at all, and I did not feel like running either. Give that girl a break Smile bas</checking></converting>

Princess Cancer Pants

I wondered if I should be resting more, but even taking 2 days off after my race was making me antsy. I'm not pushing myself too hard this week, though. I may cut tomorrow's run pretty short, too. I REALLY wanted to skip today, especially once the rain started, but I'm so paranoid that if I can rationalize running one day...well, then that will turn to 2 and 3 days. And especially if I let the weather be a deterrant, as we are in for at least 6 months of ick around these parts. Tongue k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

sjwick

Sounds like your not enjoying running anymore. Everybody needs a break. maybe these might help http://coaching.usolympicteam.com/coaching/kpub.nsf/v/5Sept03 http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/overtraining.shtml http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/overtraining-causes.html and one for fun http://www.letsrun.com/overtrain.html

Princess Cancer Pants

Susie, that's really interesting. I don't know that I have been "overtraining," per se, but I definitely think that I didn't taper enough before my 10mi. race last weekend or eat very well last week (and nerves in the nights before that race kept me awake--I'm pretty prone to stress-induced insomnia and even the Ambien wasn't helping much) and that probably has snowballed a bit this week. I did cut 10 minutes off of my planned 70 minute run this AM. Tomorrow is a rest day for me and I'm looking forward to it, LOL! But, dagnabbit, why can't I have these two symptoms of overtraining: • weight loss • loss of appetite I have the opposite problems...bah! Tongue k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

~ Unknown

Have a big glass of wine, sleep and just run a short distance tomorrow for FUN... and let your body recover! lisa
                Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4

Princess Cancer Pants

*as I enjoy a bottle of my favorite Summer beer that will soon be unavailable for a few months* I'm actually not running, tomorrow. DS has a special day at school, so I won't have time, anyhow. Saturday I am planning on my long, easy run for the week. I get to sleep in that day, so that will certainly help. Smile k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

~ Unknown

bas

I'm actually not running, tomorrow. DS has a special day at school, so I won't have time, anyhow. Saturday I am planning on my long, easy run for the week. I get to sleep in that day, so that will certainly help.
                    OK! Good luck with your *not* running! Big grin And have fun on your run after that. Remember the 'easy' in 'long easy run' Smile bas

Princess Cancer Pants

Remember the 'easy' in 'long easy run' Smile bas
                      Ha, that IS the hard part! Wink k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

~ Unknown

bas

It is! Maybe this helps: Giving all this advice about taking it easy obliges me to do the same Smile especially as I notice I might be the next on the 'overtrained' list. So I started logging 'easy runs', not just 'long runs' as I did before and I started trying to make them really easy. Tonight I did one, and it was great! I knew I could go faster than I did, but I made myself keep a relaxed pace. I just enjoyed the run. When I got back after 30+ minutes I felt like going on, but told myself not to do so. The result was that I felt it great! So said told myself: 'See? That's what they mean when they say you should do easy runs.' And I answered myself: 'Uh huh' Shy bas