Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathon trainers - November 2009 (Read 845 times)

Prince of Fatness

Wow, it's November already.  This month I'll be running two half marathons, and I'll be traveling to get to them.  I'm running Seacoast in NH on the 8th and Atlanta on Thanksgiving.  The first one will be a PR attempt and the second one will be just for fun, as I will be down there with my brother and sister.

Happy running.

Not at it at all. 

JoeInTX

Wow, sounds tough!    Most people just do Turkey Trots on Thanksgiving!  lol

Good luck and travel safely!

Prince of Fatness

Wow, sounds tough!    Most people just do Turkey Trots on Thanksgiving!  lol

Good luck and travel safely!

Normally I would do a 5K that is local, but the opportunity came up to make this trip.  I pretty much run at least 13 miles once a week so this won't be bad.  I'll just treat it as a hard training run and enjoy the morning.

Thanks. 

Not at it at all. 

Good luck with the PR, Mr.PH!

Sounds like a scenic course, but possibly windy along the coastline.

I am just starting to get back into training-I took a couple of weeks off almost completely after my half, more a mental break thasn anything else, watched the NY marathon on video feed today and feel all fired up again!

Not sure where to go from here, I could try to get a couple more minutes off the half, which I think is a good distance for me, or I could work on more speed for 5k/10k races, or more distance and try to run a marathon in the spring. If I choose the marathon it is a big commitment as I will not be doing all that training simply to finish, I will want the best time I am capable of running.

Anyway, starting to log a few miles is the first step, no matter what I decide.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JeffRW

Happy Sunday ya'll.  Listening to the Cowboys beat up on the Seahawks and watching the Rams attemp at a win.

Yesterday I spent an hour on the weights, moving quickly from exercise to another.  Followed that with 4.25 on the TM @ 8:20 pace.  Today I went 10.24 @ 8:41 pace.  Longest run since last year following an 8 miler on Friday.  I'm spent!

MrPH - Two halfs in one month!  Good for you

Joe -  Running today?

SimonR - Wish I could help you decide which way to go.  I have been running several shorter races, but I have decided to run a half on Nov 21, and I'm thinking about a full late Winter or very early Spring?  I just don't know if I can commit to all the mileage to prepare for a full. 

PR 5k 22:06 10K 46:45 1/2 1:57:11
            JeffRW

Did anyone follow spice during the NYC marathon?  Updates?
              PR 5k 22:06 10K 46:45 1/2 1:57:11
              snorth100

Spice finished in 4:03 and change!!!

Wow, it's November already.  This month I'll be running two half marathons, and I'll be traveling to get to them.  I'm running Seacoast in NH on the 8th and Atlanta on Thanksgiving.  The first one will be a PR attempt and the second one will be just for fun, as I will be down there with my brother and sister.

Happy running.

Two in a month, good for you. The NH could prove to be tricky with the New England weather, but I bet Atlanta will be beautiful. 

Good luck and make sure you post the results in our Race thread.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

MrPH - Go for it, look forward to reading the race reports! Smile

Joe - Good luck to you & the Army back at active. Sorry to see you go.

Simon - Make sure you enjoy whatever whatever you decide! Have fun!

Jeff - I was at the Cowboy's Game today! Jerry sure has built a nice place... whatever people say about him!

No race for me this month. White Rock Half in early December.

Still trying to work out if I am able to run through this hip "injury".

Went out for 4 very slow this morning and it was OK. Will do the same tomorrow and see how it feels.

Have a good week y'all

2017 Goals
                    1) Run more than 231 miles
                    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

redleaf

Happy running.

Very cool! Two half marathons in a month is pretty impressive. Good luck with them!

Jeff - could luck to you too!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Not sure where to go from here, I could try to get a couple more minutes off the half, which I think is a good distance for me, or I could work on more speed for 5k/10k races, or more distance and try to run a marathon in the spring. If I choose the marathon it is a big commitment as I will not be doing all that training simply to finish, I will want the best time I am capable of running.

I think I may be a little biased, but I would go for the full marathon! It does take over your life for 4 - 5 months, but it's really worth it to run strongly across that finish line... it's one of those things I told myself I needed to do once, but now i'm signed up for another Smile On second thoughts, maybe a 10k would be a better idea Wink

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

Ringmaster

MrPH, your November is shaping up to be fabulous!

Daughter woke up yakking yesterday and we were worried son was going to follow suit this am--in spite of that my hubs almost kicked me out the door this am (guess he's dealt with my "didn't get my run in" cranks), so I got 6 miles of intervals in. Great workout for me--8 x half-mile intervals at increasing speed for the first four reps, then slowing down on the home-coming repeats. For me it's actually just as tough to slow down as it is to speed up since once I'm warmed up my body seems to like to stay fast, but I need to work on feeling my pace, so it was a good thing to do--and I hit my paces almost exactly. I'm also finding out longer warm-ups and cool-downs work out better for me so I tacked on a 1.5 mile to begin and end.

The 13.1 Fort Lauderdale is on the 15th so this might be my last intense speed workout--I'll do a couple tempo runs, though.

Good idea doing the Atlanta run for fun, MrPH--or has Atlanta had more seasonable weather than us? It was 72 already when I set out at 5 this am.

Simon, you're right--running is the right way to get started. I understand your dilemma. 52 weeks isn't a lot of time to try to get everything done. Last year I set huge PRs at everything--because it was really my first time racing most of the distances with a hard racing strategy. This year I know my 10k and 5k prs will not fall--I've been working too hard at the half and marathon. I just can't do both in one year. Either way, it sounds like you train the way I do--whatever you do, you want to give it your all . . . Sorry I'm not a lot of help.

I had a good football day too, Jeff--dh can be a bear when his Dolphins don't do well; you can imagine it's been a rocky few years around here. I'm going into marathon training immediately after my half and will go for #2 in February. The mileage does drain me and I'll probably be good for nothing much but easy 6-milers through March and April, but I'm afraid I'm bitten.

Matt--glad it sounds like your hip is holding up. Take it easy on it . . .

Cara, when I crossed the finish line of my first 26.2 I almost bit the head of the woman who told me, "Imagine how you'll do at your next one!" My next one? I thought--is she barking mad? I couldn't feel my hands--it had been raining on us for hours. But I guess I've forgotten enough about it because it's almost three months till my next one . . . Silly siren song of the 26.2 . . .

Oh, speaking of marathon training, combining speed training for the half and marathon-lengthening long runs has paid off with a big month--197 miles in October! I'll let you know what it does for me in my race.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                          Mile by Mile

Vixie that is a great month- huge progress over the last year, I remember when you were happy with a 25 mile week!

Did some "body weight" training, pushups and heel raises and so on, got a sore calf, but ran 11 miles on Sunday. Went much too fast, after a recent race everything feels slow, the middle 9 miles took 81 minutes, almost Larry's pace.

Day off today, and easy run tomorrow, I hope.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

5 miles for me this morning, but I had to walk too much!!  How annoying.  That's what I get for slacking off the last few weeks.  Sigh.    I've already asked DH to run with me tomorrow, to make sure I don't skip a day.  It is kind of discouraging how quickly I lose fitness.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I managed 6 yesterday...super hilly 6. that coupled with 8+ on the bike on Sat. and my quads are pissed today. Oh well...my long run (according to the plan) was only supposed to be 4 so I'm feeling good about that. I need new shoes though...might try to find some at lunch tomorrow.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!