Half Marathon Trainers

So, I'm running at 8 k race tomorrow (Read 15 times)

redleaf

Not really trained for it but my friend and I ran the 5k last year.

I figure I have 2 options: do the first 5k at 10k race pace and then speed up for the last 3k; do the first 5k at 5k race pace and try to hang on.

It's mostly flat but there's a small hill near the end.

What would you do?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Do you have an idea what you'd like to finish? I like to try to run an even pace through a race. If I have extra in the tank near the end, I'll pick it up in the last km.  (I wouldn't go 5k pace.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

I dunno Really. 21 and buckets of rain in the forecast. 52 minutes would be awesome I think.

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Good advice would usually be to start a bit below pace for 1-2km, then harder pace from 3-7km...with some fade, then pickup for the last 1km. But, but...normally your race paces have a lot of pickup in the last section, so that pattern doesn't match how you run your races.

So...how about: open hard to your first couple walk sections..then get to 6km at your 10K effort, then finish at your 5K effort?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good luck Lisa. It will be a PR no matter what.   slow to start and then pick it up and finish hard.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

So...how about: open hard to your first couple walk sections..then get to 6km at your 10K effort, then finish at your 5K effort?

man, that's a lot of remembering but I think I can try that. 1-3k fast-fast; 3-6k 10k fast; 6-8k 5k fast

HF #4362

Zelanie

redleaf- Good luck and enjoy the race!

hog4life

Good luck, hope it went well for you.

an amazing likeness

man, that's a lot of remembering but I think I can try that. 1-3k fast-fast; 3-6k 10k fast; 6-8k 5k fast

Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club...just run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Thanks all. Started off okay but didn't end that way.

21 degrees (70f) ; 29 with humidity (84f).

My friend Suzy said the first 4 mile splits were: 10, 11, 11:05, 12:XX (I can't remember what she said for the 4th) which means I did the last mile in about 16-17 minutes. I sent her ahead at 6.5 km....

At about 4 k in my right foot started to feel hot in the arch. By 6.5k I couldn't bare it any more and walked more than I ran the end. Turns out I have a pretty big blister on my arch now. Never ever happened before - seriously, my only other blister on my foot was on the top of my left pinky toe after the NYE half.  Maybe I need new shoes? But these ones have less than 300 km on them Sad

anyway, I'm pretty happy with the 10 and 11 to start.

Another thing that just occurred to me right now - except for 5ks I usually have a bit of carbs the day before races (ordinarily I eat very very low carb to lose weight) and I didn't yesterday. Might have helped me feel a bit stronger but I doubt it would have helped with the blister.

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It could be something as simple as your sock got bunched up or your shoes were tightened a bit differently.

Like I said on crackbook, it's a PR at a new distance and, it's probably a soft PR so next time you do a 8K, you will crush it.  Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I am with Meg.  You finished!

It could be something as simple as your sock got bunched up or your shoes were tightened a bit differently.

Like I said on crackbook, it's a PR at a new distance and, it's probably a soft PR so next time you do a 8K, you will crush it.  Smile

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189