Half Marathon Trainers

Back to back HM race report (Read 345 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I sort of did back to back half marathon’s…I completed the Rocket City (Huntsville) full marathon this past Saturday.The race was great and I had a fun time doing it!! The weather was near perfect on race day...the forecast was to be about 33* and sunny to start and about 45* and sunny during the race. So the first decision to be made was what to wear?? Shorts? tights? Long sleeve shirt, short sleeve, another long-sleeve? Gloves? Wool hat or nylon hat? Wear to pin the number if I am going to change shirts? (as I usually just pin to shirt). Decisions, decisions. I figure since my wife we’ll be meeting me at miles 7 and 17, I can shed whatever I need to and leave it with her (plus she has another long sleeve shirt and short sleeve shirt if needed). It’s great running a race with that type of support & encouragement. Well, Friday night I get my gear together. I finally decide I’m going to wear shorts (no tights) and pin my number to my shorts, a nice long sleeve tech shirt and another heavier long-sleeve running shirt over that. Plus gloves, a headband, and my nylon running hat to start. I was just a tad chilled before the start, but this what I wanted. My goal for the marathon was between 4:15 and 4:30, preferably 4:22 (which is a 10 minute pace). I always have a tendancy to start off too fast and pay for it at the end. But I stayed towards the back and went out just as I wanted. I hit the first mile at 9:50, just under my 10:00 pace. I hit mile two at 19:45…right on track, and not too fast…great!!! My legs feel great &strong during this stretch!!! At mile 13.1 (picture below)… …I’m at 2:09 (a 9:51 pace…which is on track to break my goal of 4:22, with an outside shot of a 4:15 finish). But then just after half way, when I put my left foot down, I felt something "pop" in the side of my foot/ankle (just beneath wear the ankle bones sticks out). Between miles 13.1 and 17 the pain came & went as I trekked on. I got to the 17 mile mark at about 2:55 (an 11:30 pace for that section, and a 10:17 pace overall). I decide that a 4:30 finish is obtainable at this point, so I was still happy, that I hadn't slowed down a lot. But just before mile 18 the pain became unbearable, that I decided to just walk. I did add a few running spurts, but pretty much walked the last 8 miles. When I took the last turn and saw the finish line, I ran the last bit in...and finished in 5:04:45. Not the time I wanted, but I finished (and beat my Chicago time...so I at least set a PR). I’m thinking about doing it again next year to redeem myself. It’s a great course and a ton o’ fun!!! Now, it's onto recovery mode...for my legs & foot. MTA: I started the race with 1,234.8 miles for the year. So at mile 15.2 I hit 1,250 total miles (my 2008 goal was 1,250), so I broke my total mileage goal for the year Big grin

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Prince of Fatness

Nice work! Congrats. How's the ankle / foot?

Not at it at all. 

IMKY13 finish!!

I haven't run on it since the marathon (Saturday). It seems to be a bit better this morning. Since the roads are icy, I've decided to take another rest day. I did some bicycling on a stationary bike last night. I'll test out the foot/ankle tomorrow moring...and see how it goes from there.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Way to tough it out! The more I hear about the marathon the more I feel its not for me; great respect for all those who finish, no matter what the time. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.