Half Marathon Trainers

Fall 2017 Running (Read 25 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Alright, it's September and I'm ready to admit it is fall. I put off the run this morning because it was too damn dark when the alarm went off. (Sunrise here is already 615am.) School starts Tuesday for my kids. I did my last long run today before next weekend's races (2x 5k, 1x half). I guess summer is done.

How's the running going? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I don't know what this Fall thing is to which you refer. It has been hotter than ever before (really) the last few days where I live.

My last few months have been pretty sporadic. I'm likely to downgrade my fall goal marathon to the half, as I just haven't put the miles in. That means 5 weeks to get my speed up, which I've ignored for a while.

Well the kids are back at school here but like RR no sign of fall here in TX. It's still hot!

My plan for this week is just to keep running. I've just got to get out the door 3 times! 9-10 miles this week max.

I'm eyeing a HM in Jan and that means 12 weeks of training starts in October. September is all about the base!

No excuses. Just. Keep. Running.

Good luck with the races this week Meg.

RR - what type of plan/workouts do you use to get your speed up over 5 weeks? Intervals?

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

hog4life

Hey Matt, I think I just joined this group shortly after you went under the radar! Nice to see you back.

My running has been going okay. I have really tried to ramp up my miles for the Fall, and things are going pretty good. I've hit 100 miles for the last two months, and hit 40+ miles 2 weeks ago. I have caught a severe sinus crud, or maybe even bronchitis, that has derailed me for the past 10 days. I have not run a single mile!

Here's what my Fall schedule looks like

9/16 - Hartselle HM, No specific goal other than try to push one of our kiddos for the full distance by myself.

10/22 - Marine Corps Marathon, goal is 4:40, I'll be pushing one of the special needs kiddos(1st FM pushing)

10/28 - UCP Life Without Limits HM

11/4 - Huntsville HM

11/18 - Dizzy Fifties 50k(my first)

12/9 - Rocket City Marathon, pushing my 2nd FM

12/31 - Recover From the Holidays 50k

1/27 - Mountain Mist 50k

Good to see you back, Matt! Three easy runs sounds like a great goal for the week. Which half are you targeting? I just started a job with a company based in Texas, so may try to combine a work/race trip some time next year.

I will do a one or two interval sessions as prep work for tempo runs, which usually are my most effective workouts for the half. I should have already been doing them, but this year has just been rough for consistency. Not an awful year, just very up and down.

hog4life

Well, I didn't run for 12 days because of that sinus crud. I've run the past 3 days and I'm pretty sore. My have is next Saturday and I have no real big goal except to push as much as my partner will allow me

Well Meatloaf would be happy with my week. I got out the door twice against a plan of 3 times. I hear 2 outta 3 ain't bad! Smile

Frustrated that I flaked out while traveling this week but we'll start again next week and try to do better.

Meg - How did the races go this weekend?

Mitch - Crazy Schedule!! "Recover From the Holidays 50k" - HA!! Hope you feel better and less sore in the Run up to Saturday.

Peter - Hepe the speed work went well. I'll probably do the Texas Half in Jan.

2017 Goals

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Friday night: Night Owl 5K with my 10 year old daughter. Run in the dark. Lots of glow sticks. Headlamps in the race kit.

Saturday afternoon Family 5K with my daughter again. Running with her is her pace and her walk breaks.  Very hot run at 30*C although at times the wind did offer a tiny bit of relief.

Sunday morning: QCM half marathon. Maybe the toughest QCM I've run -- smokey (visibility about half of normal which means 13km instead of 25km), windy (35 gusting to 46kph at times) and warm. Not as hot as yesterday thankfully. About 23*C. I was not as fast as I hoped to be, but it was a good experience. Looking at my splits, I moved up in age group/category/overall almost every single split and my finish was better than my first split. (This is all in my log entry.) So obviously the factors outside runners control were affecting everyone. My piriformis tightness and knee getting sore late race gave me some trouble, but I learned some things today and I did not quit. I pushed through and finished. Not my worst half and far from my best, but some races go that way. Challenging for sure. First time running 3 races in 3 days. No regrets.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

jeffdonahue

I am hoping to start ramping up my miles now that the kids are back in school and maybe I can get back to some sort of routine.  I have been dealing with some sciatica/hamstring issues since April now, but my last couple runs have all been pretty much pain free (granted, my longest run was 3 miles, but pain free is pain free).  I am stretching several times a day and doing PT a few times a week.

I have a half marathon scheduled for November (Cambridge Half Marathon), with potentially a 7 miler (Falmouth in the Fall) a few weeks before that, which might be a good test for the legs before the HM.

At this point I don't see any speed work in my future at all - just hoping to increase my long run by a mile or so each week and maybe get to 9 or 10 miler before the HM.

I am hoping to get through the Fall/Winter injury free (after fully healing up of course) because I found a good race series in May I'd like to do - 7 HM in 7 days in 7 states.  Sounds like a fun challenge, but have to heal up first.

Matt-

I'm likely downgrading again to 10k and not worrying too much about performance. My goal this year has been to "race abroad", so I'll satisfy that. But I keep having interruptions: laziness, stress, illness, etc.

Jeff-

I'm *toying* with the idea of Cambridge half. My brother and a friend from HS may race that, and I may just go to MA early for thanksgiving. I don't know how nice the course is, but I used to know the area. Oh, and congrats on "pain free"!

hog4life

I think the sinus crud is still having an affect on me. My half this morning did not go as I hoped. I initially wanted to push most of the race solo, but ended up with my 2 partners doing most of the pushing. I was ok through 7 miles, but we went out too fast and I faded badly. It was still a decent overall time, but I really sucked today, finished in 2:09:07

Jeff, I think your plan is good to avoid the speed work. Everything you mentioned sounds really reasonable to me. Where is that triple 7 challenge? I'm kind of in to those crazy challenges too.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hog, the tough races help us all appreciate when we have a good race. Sorry it wasn't your day.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

I knocked out my last LR before Marine Corps Marathon this morning. I pushed one of our race chariots with about 70 pounds so it simulated my rider perfectly. I got 20.4 miles at 10:37 pace. My goal for MCM is 4:40!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow! Nice work! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Reading all your goals and achievements so far this fall certainly making me feel more than substandard! Smile

Meg n Mitch - congratz on the races. Nice work!

Jeff - " 7 HM in 7 days in 7 states"??? WHAAAAA!!! 

I'm struggling to get into any real training rhythm. Last two weeks has meant 12 flights, 25,000 air miles, not enough sleep and nowhere near enough running. It all comes down to excuses and priorities again. I'm on the road this week but not as hectic. "Ran" this morning. Will try to get one run in when I am on the road and one more when I get home.

Keep up the good work folks... I'll try to match a fraction of it!

2017 Goals