Half Marathon Trainers

Going for the Half (Read 235 times)

Hello all! I've mostly lurked here--might have posted once. Some background: Re-started running last summer after about an 8 year layoff. Had become horribly out of shape, and older. Clowning around DH and I decided to start running again, and signed up to train for Carlsbad marathon which was in Jan 2008. We ran with the slow group (back of the pack!). Immediately after the marathon (as in, three days later), I became sick with that flu that was going around. I had that for about 2 weeks, then had a lingering, nagging couch. Just when I thought I was ready to head back out, flu bug hit again. So, to make a long and boring story short, all the training and mileage I had built up before Jan 20 was all lost...Started running again about 3 weeks ago. Started out easy...the first week, my plan was to run for 5 minutes, walk for 1 (X6). I have moved up now, and can run for 9 minutes, walk for 1...I do this for a little over 2.5-3 miles. My pace is anywhere from 12:15 to 13:15. My longest run to date is 3.3 (yesterday). My plan has been to slowly build up some base mileage so that when training season for Carlsbad 09 starts in late July, I won't be so out of shape (as i was when we started running again last July). I figured I needed a goal to motivate me (because plain and simple good health and a thinner body obviously aren't motivation enough), so I decided to train for America's Finest City Half, which is held in, well, America's Finest (yet bankrupt) City, San Diego, in mid August. I've joined a formal training group, which doesn't officially start until May 10, but I need to make sure I can go at least 3 miles semi-effortlessly by then. Roll eyes Anyway, so that's my story. I'll be joining all of you fine folks on your half marathon journeys as well!
    Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
      Welcome! Smile
        Welcome, It looks like you have good goals with a excellent plan to get there. Good Luck Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Prince of Fatness

I'm really curious of whether or not you lost all of that fitness, and I wonder if you will find it "coming back" quicker than an absolute beginner. Please let us know how you make out with that. ... and good luck!

Not at it at all. 

Good Luck to you, I am nearly in the same boat, as I became injured back in February, and have been slowly getting back in the game. Like you, I HAVE to have a plan and a Goal. I feel lost and out of control when I don't have a plan to follow, and I tend to run too fast, so this group has been so helpful to me to get my crap together and train sensibly, and safely. Welcome to the group, I look forward to watching everyone's progress in this journey, I can't wait to post a picture of me crossing the finish line of my first Half in Late September. It will be 1 year and two weeks since my start of Couch to 5K, and 2 days before my 42nd birthday. What a way to celebrate.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Thanks! MrPHinNJ : I am not sure yet either whether I lost it all. I am thinking it might have been mostly mental because I was so bummed to have had to stop for so long. It was rough getting back on track, so to speak--but, I have had some really good runs this week that make me think I wasn't as far gone as I thought I was. RunCheffyRun: Yep...without a plan, and even a group to run with on my weekends, I find it easy to blow it off. I need that long run accountability. Good luck to you as well on your training! Smile
              Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."