Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - Oct 19 & 20 (Read 20 times)

an amazing likeness

Unless I've got something longer to write up, I usually jot down my quick thoughts here in the Intrepid Racers topic for the week rather than race reports, so here's a quick update on my race...

Due to schedule challenges, my normal daily run on Saturday was later in the day, after spending the morning helping my brother with moving some boat stuff. So on Sunday morning I was a bit stiff and my legs that were just plain tired. Also on Saturday's jog my left hamstring had started cramping and Sunday morning it was tight and painful if I didn't limit my stride length. After a short (very short) warm-up jog at the race I could tell it would be a challenge to run splits much under 8:00, so I made the decision to that my goal for the day would be to find a pace at around 7:50s, settle into it and run steady splits the whole distance...to practice even pace without using much feedback from my watch.

Other than 1 split at mile 6 - 7 where we did some twisting, turning out and back to a turnaround cone, was able to do this....5KM splits were: 24:41 -> 24:45 -> 24:25 -> 24:01.  So that's about 7:52--ish overall.

This was a neat little race with about 175 runners on a rail-to-trail section of the East Coast bikeway. It was all hard-pack dirt, out and back on the trail. It was odd at times to just be running along through the trees for miles and miles, you had no good sense of distance covered like you get on a road where you see something off in the distance and run to it.

This is what the trail looked like: (that's not me running)

The finish line was definitely low key:

Which way?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Looks like a good time. It is beautiful too, much prettier than running in a city (IMO). I love hard packed dirt. I do most of my running on that kind of surface, but next year I'm going to switch to asphalt earlier in the summer as my body didn't like me much this year when I switched to asphalt only weeks before my HM race.  Nice steady splits.

hog4life

Oh man, I would love to run that trail! Thanks for sharing MT.

Zelanie

Lovely and very low-key for a half!  Glad you were able to listen to what your legs were telling you and have a good day!

Too bad the greenway doesn't go all the way to Key West!

Looks beautiful.  I would like to run that sometime. (just for fun)

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189