Half Marathon Trainers

Who AM I? (Read 695 times)

Hey everyone,

I'm Cara and i'm from the UK - I live about 20 miles south of London. I am 31 and married... my husband sometimes runs with me, but is one of those annoying people who can do nothing for months, then pull out a 10 miler and i'll spend the entire time telling him to slow... I got the last laugh though as i've found out that after about 10 miles he hits breaking point Smile We don't have children, although my cat is very demanding!!!

I've been running since May 2007 and started with Couch to 5k at which point I couldn't get round the block without almost dying. Since then I've ran an occaisional 5k, loads of 10k's, 3 HM's and last month my first ever full marathon. I am completely hooked and planning my second marathon for April. Before then though, my number 1 goal is to break the 2hr mark on the half.

29/04/2012 Milton Keynes Marathon: 3:42:06

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

Hi everyone,

My name is Rick and I am 42 and live just south of Boston.  I have a stressful job in an office and three beautiful daughters (9, 7 & 2) that keep me VERY busy with sports and other activities.

I have been a gym regular for about 8 years, with the last 5 being early mornings (5:30).  I find the early mornings the only part of the day that is MY time.  I lost about 45 pounds with a combination of cardio work (elliptical, spinning and TM) and regular resistance training.  Then this year I thought I would challenge myself by running a 1/2 marathon. 

I played hockey my whole life and always thought of running as something to do to get in shape for another sport.  I was always a plodder on the tm, doing flat 10mm for about 30-40 minutes.  I would run the occasional 5k, but that was about it for running.  I incorporated running on the treadmill 2-3 times a week at the beginning of the year.  My goal was to run the 1/2 at the end of May.  I decided to run my first 10k at the beginning of April to see where I stood.  It was a killer course filled with some challenging hills.  By five miles I was swearing to myself to never run again !  I finished the run is 56 minutes. 

After I calmed down i realized that I needed to change my training and that the May half was not a realistic goal.  I started running with a group out of my gym on Thursday.  An old high school friend ran with them and always told me to join, but I was intimidated because they were all Marathoners and triatheletes.  It was the best move I ever made.  They challenge me, encourage me and provide a lot of racing tips.  I added a couple of more running buddies and now my training is generally 3 runs outside and 1 on the TM.  I completed my 1st 1/2 in the beginning of October and I am officially hooked on running now.

Rick

Upcoming Events Current PR's 11/8/2009 - Luv 2 Run 5k 23:52 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30
      redleaf

Hey everyone,

I'm Cara and i'm from the UK - I live about 20 miles south of London. I am 31 and married... my husband sometimes runs with me, but is one of those annoying people who can do nothing for months, then pull out a 10 miler and i'll spend the entire time telling him to slow... I got the last laugh though as i've found out that after about 10 miles he hits breaking point Smile We don't have children, although my cat is very demanding!!!

I've been running since May 2007 and started with Couch to 5k at which point I couldn't get round the block without almost dying. Since then I've ran an occaisional 5k, loads of 10k's, 3 HM's and last month my first ever full marathon. I am completely hooked and planning my second marathon for April. Before then though, my number 1 goal is to break the 2hr mark on the half.

Cool - we lived in London for a year and we have family there - in London proper and in Reading Smile

Rick - do you still play hockey? I'm a goalie in a rec league.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

It's nice to get to meet everyone; thanks, Larry. You're always the one with the good ideas!

I'm Karina--I started walking to lose weight about four years ago and when I got to 5 miles it just took too long so I started running short distances--an eighth of a mile was all I could do that first day! But one day I ran a whole mile, and then one day I was running all five miles. My first race was a 5k in December of 07 and since then I've run a few 5 and 10ks, two half marathons, and one 26.2. I'm finishing up training for my third half, hoping to come in under 1:50, which is my current PR. After that I'll go straight into training for my second marathon at the end of February.

On the personal side, I've been married for nine years and I entered the 35-39 age group TODAY! I have two kids, 6 and a week from 4. I'm supposed to be a stay at home mom, but find that I'm not actually home very much.

Welcome, all. Running is more fun when it's shared with more.

Katina, Happy Birthday to you.  first time I ever recall you using your name.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Lisa - I still skate, but don't play much hockey anymore.  The games are just too late for me now.  I'm up around 5am every day, so 10 or 11pm hockey games just don't work.  I still have the ich though, so I keep my scates sharp!
            Upcoming Events Current PR's 11/8/2009 - Luv 2 Run 5k 23:52 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30

Hi everyone,

My name is Rick and I am 42 and live just south of Boston.  I have a stressful job in an office and three beautiful daughters (9, 7 & 2) that keep me VERY busy with sports and other activities.

Hey Rick and thanks for the intro and telling us something about you. 

I was just up to Natick this past weekend, one of my best friends lives up there.  Where are you at in relation to Natick?

Larry

LPH

Larry I'm about 25 minutes south west from Natick.  I'm just south of Boston.  My girls love the American girl store in Natick
                Lu481

Hi everyone,

I'm Lu,

I'm 40 and living in Alberta with my husband.  The kids are all moved out now. I'm in the Canadian Military and presently stationed in Edmonton. I also originally held my log over at CR although I wasn't involved with any groups at the time.  And when Active came into the picture I bailed and found a new home here.

I ran a bit of cross country in high school although I was only a middle of the packer.  I never trained much though so who know what I'm actually capable of.  *smile*  I've been running off and on very inconsistently until Feb 2007 when a friend at work asked me to do a 1/2 marathon in August.  There were a bunch of people from work planning on running either the 1/2 or the whole.  I trained a little more consistently and ran my first 1/2 in August 07.  The funny thing was that out of all those at work that said they were going to run, I was the only one who actually did. 

Then I stopped running until the end of December because I didn't have another goal set. I've been pretty consistent since I started up again at the end of Dec 07 and have I've ran a total of 5 half marathons with my PR being 1:57:16 at a race in Egypt while I was stationed out there.  I've ran a 15k a 22k and a 10k that wasn't a 10k.  I pulled my achilles tendon after the 1/2 in Egypt and it didn't want to heal.  Slowed me down quite a bit for a while and I ended up taking about a month and a half completely off running, so I'm still trying to regain the lost fitness.

This year I'm planning on getting my mileage up to about 40/wk and running a few more 1/2's, maybe my first full, and a few 5 and 10k's.  We'll see what happens.

redleaf

Hi everyone,

I'm Lu,

I'm 40 and living in Alberta with my husband.  The kids are all moved out now. I'm in the Canadian Military and presently stationed in Edmonton. I also originally held my log over at CR although I wasn't involved with any groups at the time.  And when Active came into the picture I bailed and found a new home here.

I ran a bit of cross country in high school although I was only a middle of the packer.  I never trained much though so who know what I'm actually capable of.  *smile*  I've been running off and on very inconsistently until Feb 2007 when a friend at work asked me to do a 1/2 marathon in August.  There were a bunch of people from work planning on running either the 1/2 or the whole.  I trained a little more consistently and ran my first 1/2 in August 07.  The funny thing was that out of all those at work that said they were going to run, I was the only one who actually did. 

Then I stopped running until the end of December because I didn't have another goal set. I've been pretty consistent since I started up again at the end of Dec 07 and have I've ran a total of 5 half marathons with my PR being 1:57:16 at a race in Egypt while I was stationed out there.  I've ran a 15k a 22k and a 10k that wasn't a 10k.  I pulled my achilles tendon after the 1/2 in Egypt and it didn't want to heal.  Slowed me down quite a bit for a while and I ended up taking about a month and a half completely off running, so I'm still trying to regain the lost fitness.

This year I'm planning on getting my mileage up to about 40/wk and running a few more 1/2's, maybe my first full, and a few 5 and 10k's.  We'll see what happens.

thank you Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, Lu!  Thanks for the post. DH and I went to Alberta way back in 1992, to ski at Lake Louise.  What a beautiful area! 

The achilles is tricky, isn't it?  I injured mine summer before last, and it took almost a year before I didn't feel any twinges.  Good luck with ramping up your mileage and racing more!

Hi everyone,

I'm Lu,

Hi Lu and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. 

My inspiration from running came from my youngest son, but my inspiration for wanting to runa marathon comes from a girl that was on his CC team and track team in high school.  She wasn't even a middle of the pack runner, she was at the rear of the pack and I do mean the rear.  she's still a good friend to both of my sons and a few years back, we found out she was running the Boston Marathon.  I think this year was her 4th year and she qualified for next year and we were all excited for her.  She is truly a remarkable young woman and full of determination.  Truly an Inspiration of what one can sometimes do.

Larry

LPH

Larry I'm about 25 minutes south west from Natick.  I'm just south of Boston.  My girls love the American girl store in Natick

Don't know what's directly south of Boston except for Brockton, they go far enough and you're in Providence. 

Have no clue what the American Girl Store is in Natick, something in the Mall? 

Boston was hoping Halloween night despite the crappy weather.  Lot's of interesting Costumes, good thing my heart is in pretty good condition.

Larry

LPH