Half Marathon Trainers

Half marathoners--July 2008 (Read 593 times)

I got to start it!!! Big grin MTA: Oops...I was so excited about starting the thread that I didn't call us "trainers", but instead, "half-marathoners". Maybe we should be thinking of ourselves that way anyway, though.....we are what we think we are......
    Ringmaster

I love it! That's me--a half marathoner!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good news from my PT guy today - he said my ankle looks much better. He thinks I will be back to my former distance per run in a month or so. That seems overly agressive to me, so I won't increase that quickly. I'm not supposed to run two days in a row, or on hilly routes. Our neighborhood is pretty flat, so that's good. I'm supposed to keep stretching a lot, and put ice on my ankle after every run, even it it doesn't hurt. "Half marathoner" sounds good! I'm still aiming for that in late September.
          That IS good news, Teresa!
            Morning everyone! Had the day off yesterday, Canada Day, our national holiday. Happy 4th. of July to all Americans! (I got through to my daughter by phone yesterday, everyone is fine, situation seems to be calm. She commented on inflation again, back in the late 1970's the Zimbabwean dollar was worth more than the U.S. dollar, now almost without value. When my son visited her 2 years ago a beer cost $250,000, and restaurants wrote prices on menus in dry-erase marker as they change every day. They carried money around in "bricks" of bills held by rubber bands. Even worse now, a litre of milk yesterday cost $28 billion, yes, billion with a "b".) Apologize for the personal, non-running stuff. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Wow--no more complaints from me about milk being $4 a gallon... Shocked

IMKY13 finish!!

Well, with the start of July upon us…my training for my two upcoming half marathons (and a full marathon) begins in earnest. The two half’s I am doing are: Virginia Beach Half on Labor Day weekend, and Middle Half in October. Then it’s off to Huntsville in December for a full marathon. Here is my training schedule: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pE5irqF-J52heXocXAGl8Xw Good luck to everyone training for, and running in upcoming half marathons.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Glad to hear that your daughter is okay and you don't ever have to apologize to me (and I doubt most of the others) about personal stuff.
                  Morning everyone! Had the day off yesterday, Canada Day, our national holiday. Happy 4th. of July to all Americans! (I got through to my daughter by phone yesterday, everyone is fine, situation seems to be calm. She commented on inflation again, back in the late 1970's the Zimbabwean dollar was worth more than the U.S. dollar, now almost without value. When my son visited her 2 years ago a beer cost $250,000, and restaurants wrote prices on menus in dry-erase marker as they change every day. They carried money around in "bricks" of bills held by rubber bands. Even worse now, a litre of milk yesterday cost $28 billion, yes, billion with a "b".) Apologize for the personal, non-running stuff. Simon.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresa, that's really great news. I'm hoping I'm only down for another week, but will certainly take it easy when I hit the pavement again. Fortunately, the only race I really had scheduled for the month was a 5K this weekend. There were a few others I was looking at, but had no real meaning to me. So my next planned race is Aug 9th, a 5M which I was hoping to set a new PR. Fortunately no real tough hills to speak of. My next important race is the following weekend a 5K, which was my very first 5K I ever ran and was hoping to set a new PR in. Guess I'll just have to see how my leg heals and how much I can push it once it does. It'll be more important to keep running rather than hurt it trying to do too much, but then again we're talking about me, a guy who hates to slow down. It's kind of funny, we were talking about trying to run slow recently, then I hurt my leg slowing down at the end of my 5.5 miler, then pulled it again on monday trying to convince myself to slow down. Take care. Larry

LPH

Ringmaster

Teresa, thanks for the update on the injury; I'm glad it seems to be healing so well and I hope that you continue to be smart about it. Larry, slowing down after my knee thing was the so hard for me. Fortunately it was around the same thing the summer hit and I had to slow down anyway! I hope you get to train smart and that your healing stays on track. I know how some races mean so much to us. I have a 5k in December that I'd like to do well in; it was my first. Simon, I'm so glad you got to talk to your daughter, and no, you don't ever have to apologize for personal stuff. I can relate to the devaluation of the currency. When we lived in South America in the 80s, it seemed the local governments cut off three or six zeros off the currency pretty frequently, changed the name, and even then we always paid in the tens or hundreds of thousands for things at the grocery store. It's a different world, for sure. Paul, I'm off to check your training schedule. We have more local half marathons than I'd thought at first, so I need to come up with some sort of training plan so that I'm in prime racing form come the fall. There's a half in the county north of us in October; I'd like to run the Worldwide Half, also in October, and there's a half in Fort Lauderdale in November that's really my target race. Then in December there's my target 5k, and I'd love to do the Marathon of the Palm Beaches with a relay team. I can't believe training time for the fall season is finally here!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

4 mile race today in 31:08, I'll take it, my goal was only to break 32:00 so I'm Smile I have not raced anything shorter than a half in 9 months & this is part of my speed work plan. After 15 of them I do believe I would qualify as a half marathoner. Big grin Teresa glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Vixi thanks for that Worldwide Half info, it looks interesting. Have a Great Weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good speed, Sarge, a lot quicker than your 5k in January. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks Simon, but that 5k on New Years Day is just a time prediction fun run among 60 friends. Also it is a hilly course & it was snowing with some ice. I just run with my wife for about 2.5 miles then turn it on for about .4 of a mile downhill near the end then cruise on in the last .2 . I missed my prediction by 10 seconds & finished 4th. I was too fast Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hope everyone had a good 4th, it was tough getting out the door for work this morning. I had a good weekend running, ran a 4 mile race on Friday and finished in 31:13 (30:56 by my watch) which was faster then my goal of 32:00 so I was happy. Had a nice 4.7 miles yesterday morning before the humidity got too bad. I officially start my HM training tonight, so I'm excited to get that going. Can't wait until September.
                                Fourth of July weekend was pretty good wiht the exception, that I'm still not running due to my injury. tomorrow will be two weeks since the intial injury and today is one week since I reinjured it. Started doing some stretching and exercise at home the past couple of nights. I plan to take today off still and then give it a try tomorrow night and see how it is. Still some tenderness in the leg, been rubbing it it, icing it, apply some heat and wearing an ACE bandage a lot to take some of the load off. I'm really hoping I can return to running this week. I missed a 5K race in my old hometown (where I grew up) last Saturday. Fortunately, I don't have anything else on my calendar until Aug 9th (5M) and the following weekend is an important 5K for me. I also have to start getting ready for my next HM which is late Sept. A couple of weeks off can really set one back, but the alternative is to be off even longer, so I've got to try and be patient and take it easy. So how is everyone else doing? Teresa, how is your leg holding up? You gettting some decent runs in (nice and easy) ? Larry

LPH