Half Marathon Trainers

My First 1/2 marathon (Read 53 times)

Crazybonze

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and decided to leave mapmyrun.com for the lack of a community. I was a member since 2009 and never had any contact with another member.

Well on to my goal, I took about a year off from running after putting in  up to 100 mile weeks for about 8 years to mostly train for 5ks and 10ks. I got sick of not having my legs hurt all the time so i started to train again and a friend of mine convinced me to run a 1/2 marathon at the end of October in Humboldt California with her. I have never raced a 13.1 miler, though i know what it takes to run that far, but my problem is is that i have no base after taking a year off. I have been running a lot of 6 milers and every now and then throw in an 8. I feel as though my legs can't keep up with my lungs. Has anyone experienced this, and how long do you think it will take to get back into the grove of things? When should i stop building base on just a short 14 week (12 weeks left)  season?

Also any pointers for racing a 1/2 marathon?

HappyFeat

Hi Crazy, and welcome to the group.

In response to this:

"I feel as though my legs can't keep up with my lungs. Has anyone experienced this, and how long do you think it will take to get back into the grove of things?"

Of course we have.

I would ask you:  When did you resume running? and How many days per week do you run?

As your body builds fitness, your legs  will get stronger. Lots of easy miles will get you there.

"How long?" There's no set time-frame. Everyone is an individual in how their body responds to training. It takes as long as it takes. Trying to rush the process leads to injury.

What do you mean: "stop building base" ?? Do you mean what mpw to build your mileage to?? What are you at now?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Crazybonze

I have been back running consistently for about 3 weeks now at 5 to 6 days a week. My runs have mostly been 6 mile runs with about three 8 mile runs and a couple 5s.

As for the "stop building base" i should have said, switch from "just base" to incorporating workouts like tempos, repeats, and fartlek. Last week i hit about 36 miles (didn't keep a great running log this week) and this week i will be about 45 to 50.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

HappyFeat

Adaptation to running takes longer than just a few weeks. Continue running easy. If you add in any faster paces, monitor how it affects the rest of your running week and reduce the faster runs if necessary.  Do you mind if I ask your age?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Crazybonze

No i don't mind, I am 23. I felt good on today's run. I kept the same pace but added a little distance because I was having a good time.

an amazing likeness

Woiw, Crazybones...100 mile/weeks mean you were really hammering out the miles just a year or so ago.  It will come back.  Here's a mantra for ya...

Run lots, mostly easy. Sometimes hard.

Slow (really slow!)  8 - 10 milers will be the money workout to get your base back.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

Hello!  I am not very knowledgeable, but I did want to say welcome! Smile  I had to take some time off this spring due to a knee injury, and I do know how frustrating it is to set out to run a distance that used to be a short, easy run, only to realize that the last couple of miles are a real struggle!  I'm sure that I did my fair share of whining about that pretty recently.  The one thing I have noticed is that base building doesn't seem to take as long the second time around, providing you haven't been off for too long.

What are your goals for this HM?  Do you just want to support your friend, or do you have a time goal or something else in mind?

Finally, consider keeping your running log here and making it public if you want specific feedback.  There are some really knowledgeable people in this group!

Crazybonze

Thanks for the input Zelanie. As far as goals for my HM i was thinking about 78 minutes or around 6 minute pace. I don't know if i can get there but at the rate that i have been getting back into shape i think it is a good goal. I just did a 9 miler at 6:53 pace and felt strong but i have to give my legs longer to recover than i used to so i have had to do some easy 6 mile runs in between my quality easy runs and a few of my workouts.

I have been keeping my running log on RA.com but i dont know if it is public or not, i will check that out.

redleaf

I have no advice but wanted to say hi and welcome!

(honestly, I thought I already had but clearly I hadn't!)

I love looking at all these logs of people who are so fast Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362