Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 21 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well, here we are in the last month of the year. I broke 100 miles in November which I've never done before and my streak hit 2 years. Yay! Typically in winter my mileage sees a decrease because I'm DMing more and it's cold (think -40*C windchills). Anyway, one of the local half marathons which is usually in mid-April has moved their race two weeks later. I've never run a half outside of Sept-Oct. I'd need to start training in early February. I'm nervous about that, but I'm considering it. I've got a January 01(Resolution Run) 5K race and a February 21 (Hypothermic) 10K. Do I do the May 01 half? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

From the Internet.

Congrats on the streak, wow! 2 years is a long time! I would go for the May half. I ran a mid-May half last year, and my spring 2016 goal race is also on May 1. I did my first month of training on the treadmill last year due to dangerous ice/too many snowbanks outside - not exactly fun, but it's definitely possible!

Me, I ran a 5K PR last week, 22:10. Would maybe like to go under 22 before the end of the year if I can find another race, that was at the end of a heavy-volume week and I faded a bit in the third mile (splits were 6:59, 7:03, 7:15, finishing kick 6:46 which is kinda slow for me - I'm usually a strong kicker); I think if I find a race and do a mini-taper to refresh my legs I could get there. Otherwise, I'm aiming for ~190 miles in December and I'm off to a good start! Coach has me on a sort of maintenance/base-type schedule right now: mid long of 8-9 and long run around 12, either hills or progression/tempo work weekly, strides 2x/week during easy runs. Running typically 6 days/week but sometimes I run all 7.

Hi Meg - May 01 is an early half unless you're committed to alot of treadmill running. I remember not getting back out to the road until late March mainly due to slush/ icy streets. And I dropped down to 10K cause I wasn't  feeling confident in my long runs for the Bluenose (May 17) Running on A groomed, protected from the wind, trail might be better, if you have some local? On the other hand I made some treadmill buddies at the gym as we were all in the same boat!

Hi Lauren - great PR. I'd love to get back to a six day running week.

This week only one run (Thursday) in so far. Deadline and travel day on Wednesday. Planning on an hour run on Saturday and a gym workout - rebuilding back and core muscles on Sunday. Still ahead of the weather, lightly cold and no "real" snow down yet.

TGIF!

Recalculating...

hog4life

November end for me with 75 miles. I guess that's okay considering my Achilles injury. It has just about got back to normal as I haven't run in 11 days. I'm hoping my base will carry me through my marathon on Dec 12. I never have planned to race the thing so we'll just play it by ear. I will try a short easy run this evening, and if it goes ok, do a few more before next weekend.

Lauren, congrats on the PR! 190 miles in a month doesn't seem like a maintenance number to me, but then again, my monthly PR is like 182.

Meg,  our weather is so different down here! May races are almost to the point of getting too hot.

From the Internet.

A - thanks!

Mitch - It'll be a mileage PR for me by a little bit, but I ran mid-180s this month (with the ultra, but also with a big down week) so that's maintenance enough! With the key runs I do (long, mid-long, workout), 3 other short/easy days bring me up over 40 mpw. Hope the Achilles feels better when you test it out!

Weather isn't bad at all here yet, but with the lack of daylight it's getting to the point where it is HARD for me to drag myself out of my nice warm bed in the morning to go run in the dark and cold. This morning's excuse is that I didn't charge my headlamp last night and it was flickering on yesterday's run, so I slept in and will run a bit later instead (relishing what might be the last year where I'll be able to do that, I'll probably have a "real" job by next fall).

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Today I did something I've never done on a run in December. At a  mile in, I took my jacket off, tied it around my waist and ran the rest of my 6.75 mile in short sleeves. No gloves, a ballcap, running tights and a short sleeved shirt. To not need my jacket for most of the run is unheard of for this time of year. My pace was crazy for how easy it felt. It was one of those days when my legs had a ton of spring! (It was 7*C or 45*F. ) Typically we have a good layer of snow already but not this year.

HL, for late April or early May, it would usually be 10-15*C, maybe a bit warmer on a good day. Think in the 50s*F.

Lauren, the dark is a real killer for me too. We're already at the point where it's dark by 6pm and still dark at 730 in the morning.

A,  I have a DM in my basement. I run everyday, outside as much as I can. It's expected to be a mild winter. But if we get that 2 week stretch of -35*C plus windchill in the February we so often get, that's a lot of dreadmill.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

7*C!  Woot! its been oddly warm here too on and off. I'll take it.

Recalculating...

erinr

It's been warmer than usual here, too.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 54!  I'm looking forward to a nice long run outside.

I did an April half this year and a May half the year before.  Training inside gets to be a drag, but I've been lucky to have access to a 200 m indoor track so never had to run on the treadmill.  This year I'm not signed up for that gym, so it'll just be treadmill and outside as much as possible, with long runs on the bigger (443 m) indoor track in town.  I figure even if I don't train enough to have a good race (this year's race was miserable), I run a lot more than I would otherwise.

Fun fact: apparently -40 C = -40 F!  It gets almost that cold here, but not quite (more like -25 to -35 F wind chills at the very coldest).

Wowza 13*C yesterday. ! I had a great 4ish mile run right after sunrise and I wore a t-shirt and light scarf while christmas shopping alter in the afternoon!

Today, I started my plan to spend time working on my core and back, to create strength to support my cranky hamstrings next season. Any suggestions welcome.

Happy sunday, A

Recalculating...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Pigeon pose is my go to suggestion. It's a great pose that will help stretch everything out. I need to do more strength work, but pigeon pose is a good complement. Smile

We finally have a layer of snow on the ground. Humidity has been crazy stupid high for a few days (think 90s%, not the normal 45%ish.) I'm happy to say I've been able to maintain my weekly mileage in the 24 mpw range which is unusual for me this time of year. Mild weather! If I can hold this 24 as long as possible, I think I'll see some gains from it. Usually winter is a definite dip for me, but I had my highest Nov ever and I'm on track for a record Dec. That said, I'm not motivated to go for my Sunday run. I told myself 3pm so I have to go change here pretty quick at go. It's bright, sunny, a little snowy and unfortunately a bit windy.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

an amazing likeness

Well Half Marathoners  -- we've made it to the winter solstice....the days get longer from here!  Here in northern New England, we're at the edge of the eastern time zone and the we've lost over 6:45 of daylight, with sunsets coming just before 4PM.  Except for weekends, all runs are in the dark -- but it's been mild and we've had no ice or snow yet. Unfortunately, the coldest days lag the sun.

(Or, at least for those of us in the northern half of the globe)

Having hit my miles goals for the year, I'm taking a few cut back weeks of shorter runs and skipped days, but still trying to keep ahead of the calories from all the holiday feasts.

Merry Christmas to all !

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Last day!

Minimal running here around the holiday. We did get a heavy blanket of snow right after the short sleeved Christmas and it's at least pretty outside (if not inconvenient)  I did some cycling at the gym today and will go for a jaunt tomorrow either inside or out.

Happy new year to you all, and see you on the flip side! A

Recalculating...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Was sick on Christmas night/Boxing Day which meant a couple of very low mileage days but I finished the year strong with my highest ever yearly mileage, highest ever December mileage  and probably the first time my mileage in December was basically even with November (0.10 higher in December.) Feeling strong!

Half Fanatic #9292.