Half Marathon Trainers

In like a lion: my first marathon race report (Read 332 times)

Ringmaster

Especially for the men in the room, who didn't get to read about my race yet . . . I got to run my first 26.2 on the day, well, no, pretty much the hour, the cold front moved across Tampa. Conditions were dry, though coldish, for the first eleven miles of my race. We had one hard sprinkle there for a while, that hard cold rain of a cold front, and then after that it was more like a mist machine with occasional hard gusty winds. In spite of that I was hitting my splits pretty well through mile 21--I was trying to slow down because I was a little faster than my intended 10-minute miles, but was deceived, I think, by the fact that I was behind the 4:20 pacer, whose pace was supposed to be 9:55. At any rate, when I started feeling terrible at mile 21-22, it would have helped if the heavens HAD NOT opened and unloaded a deluge of rain and 30mph gusts of wind. As it was, that is exactly what happened, and my pace went all to pieces. I started taking LOTS of walk breaks, and I was one of those people I've never really been in long races, who hates it when people tell her "Only 3 and a half miles to go!" I felt like saying, "Great, why don't you run them and I'll stand there yelling out platitudes?" But I knew they were trying to help. My hands were so cold I couldn't feel them. My feet were soaked through, my shoes waterlogged. The 4:30 pacer passed me at about mile 25, and I did everything in my power just to keep her in my sights. When we got home on race day, my chip time was recorded as 4:30:31. Today, though, it stands at 4:30:04. What could I have done under normal conditions? Do I want to find out? Maybe in another year or so. Right now, I'm a little sore, and planning an easy walk tomorrow. A fall half is still on the books. The medal is big, heavy, and beautiful, and says "Maiden Voyage" right on it--like I'd ever forget where (or under what conditions!) I ran my first.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

All I can say is "WOW"! I am really impressed......Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

All I can say is "WOW"! I am really impressed......Simon.
        Yep, your report puts a smile on my face!!

Prince of Fatness

Congratulations, marathoner! It might have been tough. It might have been painful. But you fought through it and will always remember it. Recover well.

Not at it at all. 

Ringmaster

Thanks, guys. Yes, I finished, and I'm happy. I took a two-mile walk today and it was nice just to be out again in the early hours. I'm planning a break from formal training for a little while. Running for fun sounds like just the thing.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Vixi, Congratulations and well done, especially under the conditions. That's the type of things we runners have to face, never knowing what the conditions are going to throw at you. But baby you persevered and hung in there and did it and finished. So maybe you missed your mark by a little bit (and it was really just a little bit) My hat off to you. A marathon is going to be my next challenge, but not this year, I don't see that I have the time to be able to train for it right now. Maybe in the next year or two, I'll retire and only work part time and have a lot more time (the wife will still be working) for myself and be able to up my mileage etc. So to you, my hat is off, you trained for it, you conquered it (against many odds) and hopefully you learned from it. Well done. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"