Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - November 2011 (Read 825 times)

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

I also spent last weekend tramping in the Tararuas, 2 nights away from the kids - so life is pretty full and fun these days.

Nice! I keep saying I would love to work in Wellington for a year so I could hike the Tararuas!  Where did you go exactly? Southern Crossing or??

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
    Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

Loves the outdoors

Nice! I keep saying I would love to work in Wellington for a year so I could hike the Tararuas!  Where did you go exactly? Southern Crossing or??

Since you asked, I'm going to bore you :0)

We couldn't work the transport for the Southern crossing, so ended up going in from Mt Holdsworth up to Powell Hut, where the weather was deteriorating but the hut was FULL of kids. 30 odd, We had always planned on heading to Jumbo Hut, but there were wind warnings for the tops, but the kids meant we decided to see what it was like. Well - extreme wind was about right. I got knocked over and rolled about 30 times and I'm no featherweight. We had to literally crawl the worst sections and in the narrower parts where I was at risk of heading off the ridge we dropped off the track so we were blown into the side of the ridge instead. Honestly, I was in tears half-way across I was so freaked out. Obviously we should not have attempted the crossing. Then when we finally reached Jumbo hut we were faced by 45 people in a hut meant for 20! Sigh... A large school party had walked up from the valley - cue very crowded uncomfortable night. We were planning to walk to Mitre Flat via the Broken Arch pinnacles ridge, but it was still windy and my husband felt guilty for the day before and decided wind + a route with pinnacles in the name probably wasn't a great idea. So we watched the wind, hail and snow from inside the hut and had a lazy day. Then we walked down from Jumbo and out in the snow for a very easy last day. Despite my freak out - i love tramping and wish we could go more often. It's great being running fit as it has made tramping so much easier!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

an amazing likeness

We couldn't work the transport for the Southern crossing, so ended up going in from Mt Holdsworth up to Powell Hut, where the weather was deteriorating but the hut was FULL of kids. 30 odd, We had always planned on heading to Jumbo Hut, but there were wind warnings for the tops, but the kids meant we decided to see what it was like. Well - extreme wind was about right. I got knocked over and rolled about 30 times and I'm no featherweight. We had to literally crawl the worst sections and in the narrower parts where I was at risk of heading off the ridge we dropped off the track so we were blown into the side of the ridge instead. Honestly, I was in tears half-way across I was so freaked out. Obviously we should not have attempted the crossing. Then when we finally reached Jumbo hut we were faced by 45 people in a hut meant for 20! Sigh... A large school party had walked up from the valley - cue very crowded uncomfortable night. We were planning to walk to Mitre Flat via the Broken Arch pinnacles ridge, but it was still windy and my husband felt guilty for the day before and decided wind + a route with pinnacles in the name probably wasn't a great idea. So we watched the wind, hail and snow from inside the hut and had a lazy day. Then we walked down from Jumbo and out in the snow for a very easy last day. Despite my freak out - i love tramping and wish we could go more often. It's great being running fit as it has made tramping so much easier!

Gosh, who knew heading out for the weekly trip to the market was so tough in NZ !? 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I don't know how you folks get by up there on great open plains with the wind and cold.  Over here, we have ocean to level out the huge temp drops and it comes down to crappy road conditions from snow and ice more often being just too dang cold.

I'll bet with a steady 4 runs / week on the treadmill you'll keep a good base and head into spring with a different starting point than last year.

Thanks. I hope you are right. The last two winters have been pretty low mileage. I really worked hard in the spring and summer this year, saw some real gains in my race times (I'm down 7 minutes on my half time and down almost 3 minutes on my 10K time) so it would be nice to see what I could do with a few more solid months behind me going into spring instead of rebuilding in April and May to catch up again. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Since you asked, I'm going to bore you :0)

Last time we climbed mt holdworth was 3 days before xmas a couple of years back. forecast was fine but it was snowing sideways at the top!!  much respect for the tararuas you gotta know what you are doing! I love it.  I can imagine how it would be scary or as my crazy hiking partner says "invigorating"

Mt Holdsworth Summit

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
            Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)