Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon trainers-November '08 (Read 391 times)

Well, someone had to do it! Ran a 2 hour long run yesterday afternoon, sunny and cool, great weather. Pushed a little harder than I should have, couldn't read the Garmin with sunglasses instead of prescription, felt more tired than I expected at the end. Changed glasses and found out why... Leaves and pine needles not raked yet, oh well.. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Great pace on that run yesterday, Simon! Smile I ran twelve Saturday in rain--at times like mist, at times like a Biblical deluge. Good bad weather training, though, especially in Florida. Tried Gu for the first time--Chocolate Outrage flavor--didn't find it too bad. Ran the last six at goal race pace and am hoping race day will go well. Two weeks left!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Teresa, So how did DS do at the State's? Ct states were last Friday. Times were not overley impressive, no one broke 16:00. Aalthough it's a tough course, there are usually some runners under 16. I understand the NEs are in New Hampshire this year, but don't know where. Did he make it to the NEs? I'll be away so I won't know about the results until I get back and try to play catch up on the papers etc. So I'm off to Cancun and won't be back until the 13th. The leg has been feeling pretty good, but still not doing any exercising on it. I'll see how it feels when I get back from vacation. working around the yard and walking has been good, so keep your fingers crossed for me. Until next week, take care my friends and hope that when i get back and able to run, I'll get back into the full swing of things mentally and physically. Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Have a great trip, Larry! DS came in 6th in Class B - his team was the fastest in the state. His team made New Englands, and he also made it individually. The meet is in Manchester next Saturday. As usual for any time they run at Manchester, rain is predicted. No times under 16 by any runner, though. There were some sub-16 times in Rhode Island. Here is the funny article that was published in the Portland paper (my son is Logan): <logan>> </logan>
            That is really terrific, good for him. Good lesson for him to learn about proper eating. Sounds like he must have been really nervous to forget to eat, especially with all of the runners fuel avaialble today. What was his coach doing? Did DS travel with the team? Too bad I'm going to be away. My oldest brother lives just outside of Manchester, I could have gone up and visited and catch the race at the sametime. Good luck. LPH quote pid="98b57e6e83424587bafc92b184e60688">Have a great trip, Larry! DS came in 6th in Class B - his team was the fastest in the state. His team made New Englands, and he also made it individually. The meet is in Manchester next Saturday. As usual for any time they run at Manchester, rain is predicted. No times under 16 by any runner, though. There were some sub-16 times in Rhode Island. Here is the funny article that was published in the Portland paper (my son is Logan):

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Thanks, Vixi. Oddly, Sunday was the first time I had tried Gu as well, a chocolate at about 5 miles, and a latte at 10 miles, both seemed fairly chocolatey and both seemed to give me an almost instant pickup in energy, not sure how much is actual, how much psychological.. Congrats to your son, Teresa, funny story about lunch. Larry, have a great trip, get rested up, and tell us all about it when you get back.

dukefan86

Finished my first half marathon. the City of Oaks Half in Raleigh, on Sunday! Woohoo! I was worried about finished before the time limit of 3:30, but finished with a few minutes to spare! Gun time was 3:22:52, chip time was 3:19:24. It was a great morning, weather wise, to be out running! The course was a little hilly, but not as bad as I expected. My biggest problem, other than needing to drop some more pounds, was that I stopped at every portajohn stop--sometimes because I really needed to, but other times because I didn't know for sure if I could make it to the next one. I need to work on proper eating/drinking the day or two before, and maybe training a little bit to "hold it!" I was a bit nervous before the race, so I'm sure that played into it as well. I'm still sore and a bit tired, but I'm looking for another half to do now! http://runlesleyrun.blogspot.com/2008/11/race-report-2008-city-of-oaks-half.html Lesley
                Ringmaster

Lesley, CONGRATULATIONS on the amazing accomplishment of your first half marathon! I hope you still have your finisher's medal hanging somewhere where you walk by it a dozen times a day. Isn't it wonderful, knowing that you trained for something that so many people think is absolutely insane--that you probably thought was insane, just a few months ago? I hope you will feel inspired to try another! Big grin Hey, Teresa, congrats to your hungry son. Great story. Your scrapbook must be getting quite full with newspaper clippings about him! My training plan says I should run 16 Saturday, eight days before my race. about half of those at race pace. Seems like a lot, huh? That would only give me a week to really taper, but I guess it's not like I'm running 26.2. Opinions?

Mile by Mile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

DS finished 41st out of 266 runners at the New England meet, which was really good (last year he was 168th). Each racer had to qualify in one of 5 state meets to even run at all. He was the 8th fastest boy from Maine (5th fastest junior). His team finished 12th out of 30 teams - two kids were injured, one ran with bronchitis (he deserves a medal), and another just had a very poor race. They were still the best team from Maine, though. So DS was happy. Oh, he set a 5k PR by 9 seconds - 16:28.

Prince of Fatness

Well it looks like I am dealing with some stress fractures in my shins. I'm not sure about the details ... I have a bone scan scheduled for later this week. Who knows when I'll be back running. I'm going to pull a Cheffy and have a positive outlook. I'll get through this.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well it looks like I am dealing with some stress fractures in my shins. I'm not sure about the details ... I have a bone scan scheduled for later this week. Who knows when I'll be back running. I'm going to pull a Cheffy and have a positive outlook. I'll get through this.
                        Ouch, Mr PH. Sorry to hear that. Let us know what the scan shows.
                        Ringmaster

Oh, MrPh. Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you . . . Hey, Teresa! Congrats! My goodness. I don't think I could run 2 miles in 16 minutes. That's some speedy son you have. Thanks for sharing his accomplishments with us. That's really cool.

Mile by Mile

I have to shovel out the driveway today as we got our first significant snowfall last night. My son got a couple of really warm balaclavas from the Running Room, they are black and look like ninja masks, very light and comfortable, with mesh over the mouth for breathing. Good solution for windy/cold days. He tells me he is thinking about taking the next year to get really fit in order to try to do a marathon in 3:30, not sure he can do that as the time commitment is substantial, but he is a determined sort, who knows. More modest ambitions for Dad! Simon.

Ringmaster

A 3:30 marathon, huh? I'm thinking of trying the 26.2 for the first time next year myself--but I think I'll have to be content with something closer to 4:30. I did get my sub-2 half, though! I finished yesterday in 1:50:36! I had one of those days I wish for all my friends: running felt absolutely effortless, and in fact I went sub-8 my last two miles. I've never done that before. Absolutely great race. Will probably never do it again . . . Smile

Mile by Mile

Wow! Congratulations, Vixi!