Half Marathon Trainers

HM 2 weeks apart (Read 34 times)

Bin Running

I had 2 HM which are 2 weeks apart.. Don't ask me how that happened.. haa

31 May and 16 Jun.

My current thoughts is to race the 1st one and take it easy for the 2nd..  But another option is to use the 1st one as tuneup race and race the 2nd one..

I also have a goal HM abt 8 weeks before the HM in May.. I am currently using a modified pfitz 14/52 plan if that matter..

Any thoughts?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

an amazing likeness

I've done it a few times, and frankly, it isn't that much of a stretch to have 2 good, quality efforts -- one doesn't have to be sacrificed for the other. I've found weather differences between the 2 events having more of an impact than the previous race.

Think of it this in this light....on a normal run-up to a goal HM, you'd have a few lighter days post race and then probably drop back into your training routine by day 4 or 5 (at most).  Certainly by week 2, you'd have a longer run or even a long tempo back into your schedule -- the second half is just replacing that long or tempo workout.

Personally, as a middle-aged hobby jogger, I can't hammer out 2 equal high effort HM on back-to-back weekends, I need to dial one back -- and for me, I get better results by running the first one at 80-90% effort, and then have the second one be the harder.  IE...easy -> hard works better than hard --> easy.

MTA:  Just checked through my log and it looks like I did 2 or 1 week back-to-back HM 4 times last year. Usually (not always), the second was the better quality result.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Bin Running

Thanks, milktruck. Will probably do a easier 1st then try to race the 2nd.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I'm in the midst of two half marathons 13 days apart (on day 6 of 13 today).  I raced the first pretty hard and felt like I was back to full strength just a day or two after.   Was able to have a pretty good 17 mile effort today.  So, IMHO I think you could probably go full out for both.