Half Marathon Trainers

December (Read 378 times)

hog4life

Horses scare the crap out of me, probably because I haven't been around them much. DW used to own some(before my time) and loves them.

Good workout today, 5.22 miles with 5 x 1000's at 8:00 mm pace, and 2 x 200's at 7:00 mm pace.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Nice workout, Mitch.

Welcome, D.

I'm another refugee from RWOL, I guess. Finally migrating into the 'regular' forum a bit.

As for the half marathon training, having completed one half to date, I have discovered that I like the distance. I've got 2 15K races booked for March and April, but I don't see myself running another half until September when I head up to Ohio for the River Run half near Cleveland. I'll also be doing the 4 bridges half in Chattanooga in October.

I might run a 10 mile race up in Ohio in June, though that depends on how I feel at the time. They're also offering a 10K and I might settle for that instead.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

HappyFeat

Horses scare the crap out of me, probably because I haven't been around them much. DW used to own some(before my time) and loves them.

Good workout today, 5.22 miles with 5 x 1000's at 8:00 mm pace, and 2 x 200's at 7:00 mm pace.

Excellent workout! Wish I could do that!

Yeah I used to love horses. Now, I don't do any unusual activities before an upcoming race.  That accident happened right before what would have been my first HM in 5 yearsSad

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Docket_Rocket

Thanks for the welcomes!

Rest day for me.  Spent most of the day looking for my missing cat and then she just came back home.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Hello Tom and Damaris.

3.11 easy miles before work. Tomorrow's run calls for 20 hard tempo, plus a mile WU and CD, but at the moment, I don't feel like this will happen. I'll see how I feel in the morning though, I may end up swapping the next few days around.

an amazing likeness

Hello Tom and Damaris.

3.11 easy miles before work. Tomorrow's run calls for 20 hard tempo, plus a mile WU and CD, but at the moment, I don't feel like this will happen. I'll see how I feel in the morning though, I may end up swapping the next few days around.

What the hell training plan has you running 20 miles of hard tempo?  Isn't that what is often called the front half of a marathon? Confused

MTA....oh, it just clicked...20 minutes...never mind.  Signed Ms. Emily Litella.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hi Tom and Docket! (I recently joined the 4 Hour Marathon group of which Docket is a member, ex RWOL mostly, and nice people.)

HF I don't run trails but my son does and likes the NB trail shoes (890 perhaps?) He also has a couple of pairs of Asics and is thinking about Salomon. Don't know if you have tried those?

Good run, Mitch.

On the topic of race distances, I like the half best, but also like the 10k. Both are long enough to give you several opportunities for joining up with other runners on the same pace, to run down and pass groups ahead of you, and to need some tactical thinking. But both are short enough you can run fast, whereas the marathon, for me at least, is an endurance contest more than a race.

13k for me today, 8k easy followed by 5k tempo.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

What the hell training plan has you running 20 miles of hard tempo?  Isn't that what is often called the front half of a marathon? Confused

MTA....oh, it just clicked...20 minutes...never mind.  Signed Ms. Emily Litella.

Shocked You had me there for a minute, I had to reread it. Yep, 20 minutes. 

vegefrog

Yeah I used to love horses. Now, I don't do any unusual activities before an upcoming race.  That accident happened right before what would have been my first HM in 5 yearsSad

Yeah...so totally NOT smart of me to agree to a week long ski trip 3 weeks before my NOLA marathon...LOL. I'm not a bad skier...but I might stay in the lodge or on the bunny slopes, just to play it safe!

Everyone had some great workouts today!! NICE work guys!!!!

hog4life

Yeah...so totally NOT smart of me to agree to a week long ski trip 3 weeks before my NOLA marathon...LOL. I'm not a bad skier...but I might stay in the lodge or on the bunny slopes, just to play it safe!

Everyone had some great workouts today!! NICE work guys!!!!

A friend of mine was planning to run the Savanna FM last year(maybe year before), and decided to do a Warrior Dash, just for fun. Well it wasn't fun, she messed her ankle up really bad when she stepped into some kind of pot hole in one of the mud pits. She didn't run for at least the next 6-8 months. Lessoned learned for me! I almost did the same one, but now, I will never do one.

Vege, be careful on that ski trip. My neighbors are doing NOLA.

Keep forgetting to introduce myself here. I came over in the RWOL refugee boat, have been using the log here quite awhile now.

Ran 3 miles on the TM tonight, had hoped to get outside but never happened.

HappyFeat

Hope I make it.

So Bob just wondering if you've ever tried the caffeinated gels or shot blocks? There have been times they really made the difference for me on those 2 to 3 hour runs.

HappyFeat

HF I don't run trails but my son does and likes the NB trail shoes (890 perhaps?) He also has a couple of pairs of Asics and is thinking about Salomon. Don't know if you have tried those?

I haven't tried any of those. Y'know, I'm so new to this - I got the NF shoes and that's all I've worn so far. I'm 100% happy with them, so unless they aren't available when I need another pair, I'll stick with them. You could do an RA search though of those shoe names and see what posts come up to see what other folks say about them.

HappyFeat

Keep forgetting to introduce myself here.

Hi Irish - welcome to the group.

MTA:

and Tom -  welcome aboard! Big grin

Hey folks - just checking in. Last few days been really hectic as we are trying to get out of the country tomorrow back to the UK for Christmas & New Year with the extended family (grannies, granddads, aunts uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, etc..)

Running will likely take a back seat to warm, flat beer and too much home cooked food until early Jan.... then it's back into the HM training.

Welcome to all our newcomers. Look forward to getting to know you in 2013.

I'll probably read posts from the other side of the pond but this may be my last post this year.

So that'd be Merry Christmas from me & all the best for 2013!!

MattJ... out!

2017 Goals
                                1) Run more than 231 miles
                                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring