Half Marathon Trainers

HTM September thread. (Read 328 times)

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here quite regularly and am impressed (and intimidated) by your amazing progress. I'm a week out from my 2nd half and getting very nervous. I am better trained than last year for my first, but am lacking confidence anyway. I have gotten in a 12 miler, and a few 10 and 11 milers but am tapering off now. I guess I'll go 8 miles on Sunday and a few 4 milers the week before the big one. I tried out Gu and Gatorade which help me greatly when I'm out there for 2+ hours. Any comments on my training would be appreciated.

an amazing likeness

Looking good, Lake -- you've had steady months in July-Aug-Sep afer the dip in June, and with your steady diet of 8-11 milers, your base will be strong. Don't back it down too much this week...get the runs in to keep your legs fresh...even do some speedier running during those 4 milers. Make sure you run 2-3mi with some speed-ups the day before the race.  Just asssume you wont sleep all well the night before the race, so get a good night's sleep Friday night and a nap Saturday.

Looks to me like you're ready, with no reason to be nervous at all.  Go get 'em. Good luck!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks MT. I'll follow your advice during this taper week. Just finished my 8 miler with ease, so I'm feeling better about the race. Nerves are turning to excitement!

Hi there Lake!  Looking at your log it seems like you'll be in good standing.  I'd say you might want a bit more mileage in the future to help you reach your full potential, but your weekly long runs will definitely push you to finish with flying colors.  Taper a bit but just enough so that you feel good come race day - make sure you're eating well and getting plenty of sleep.  For a Sunday race I normally like to take friday easy/off and then do just a mile or two on Saturday as a quick tune-up before the main event.

Go out there and kill it! Look forward to reading your race report. Smile

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Good luck in your half marathon, Lakerunner. Do you have a time goal in mind?

I ran a 5k race simulation yesterday, as a way of seeing what sort of shape I am in for the 10k in October.

Very unofficial, of course, with distance and timing by Garmin, but I was quite pleased to run 23:04, probably should add 20-30 seconds to be sure it is accurate. Nice cool weather helped, but I feel I am going to struggle towards the end of the race as I have not got my endurance built up yet.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

HappyFeat

Good luck, Lake! You've already got great advice from Snow and MT. Enjoy the event to the fullestBig grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hey gang!

Glad to hear all is good - and even vf is seemingly recovered from dental drama? Smile

I am having to face the fact that the last few months have not been kind to me from a running and diet perspective.

This monthly totals chart pretty much sums it up.

Monthly Totals

I was injured back in March and just as I was beginning to get back into things, in June, work bit pretty hard. 

I have spent the last 3 months on the road, long hours, bad food, too much beer. Very limited running Blush

I have put on about 15 lbs and am potentially looking at 2012 as being my worst running year "since records began"!

Well work looks like it may be leveling out. I don't want to tempt fate but running more may be back on the agenda.

The goal is to get to 600 miles (and back down under 205lbs) by the end of the year and not have 2012 be a complete bust.

To do that I need to get back over 20 miles a week.

Hope to be back here and posting more too (but I have said that once already this summer)

No races on the calendar but may try a half towards the end of the year if I can pick things up.

Oh... I am supposed to be doing a sprint triathlon this weekend.... we'll see!

Keep rolling y'all - you are all inspirational

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

vegefrog

Big grin Hi Matt!

A sprint Tri counts as a race!! Good luck and have fun. Glad to hear your injuries seem to be healed and you can resume running again.  As for the too much beer part...well I have just accepted that will always be a part of my training that I have to hurdle around. I just LOVE beer and there are always fun events happening that require beer drinking Smile The BEST is when they go together...like this Octoberfest 5K I'm running on the 11th. A little fast running then some nice cold refreshing beer!!

I ran a 20 miler this morning, and it felt great...I think last weeks bad run was a fluke. Went a little slower today then I've been doing most of my long runs, and I'm sure that helped. I am feeling positive about my half on Oct 14th...I just gotta make sure I get my tempo runs in for the next few weeks.

Simon, I think that's a great time for a "tester" 5K! I couldn't get close to my PR if I tried to do it by myself.

Lake you will do great! Try not to be nervous, you've put in the miles and your legs will know what to do Smile

Hey Matt!

The sprint tri sounds like a lot of fun and something I've been wanting to try for a while (although I'm terrible at swimming).  Let us know how it goes!  Glad to have you back - I've been out for a while too and getting back into it is hard but rewarding.  Here's to a mutual comeback in the next few months. Smile

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

an amazing likeness

Great to see you passing through these parts, Matt. Don't be so analytical brother, run what you can, when you can.

Last days of September haven't been kind to me...I'm battling bad, bad tendonitis in my right leg. Starting to get nervous about even making my monthly mileage goals by Sunday...gulp.  Already decided to not run the marathon I'd entered for Sunday, changing to the half, and now I'm something like70% certain I wont even run the half.  I keep reminding myself to keep the longer goals in perspective...running the race this weekend and ending up out for the next couple weeks isn't going to make much sense.

Speaking of goals, I log stalked Kevin the other day and he hit 2000 miles for the year.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

vegefrog

Sorry to hear that MT! That really stinks. It's just one race, so maybe best to skip it and rest up. Sounds like you are already planning on doing that.

Just think about how much better you will run and feel if you let it heal. You have such a great base that missing your monthly mileage isn't going to be too detrimental, right?

I leave tomorrow for a week vacation in Panama City Beach, Florida. I can't wait to run some new trails! There is a bike path that runs along scenic 30A and I have run bits and pieces of it before. I've never been in good enough running shape to go over 3 or 4 miles on it though, so this time should be fun Smile

I hope everyone has a great weekend and great races! I'll check back in when I get home October 7th!!!

HappyFeat

I hear your frustration, MT.  I've had that same tendonitis and relied heavily on icing to get over it. Are you icing it? several times a day? Taking an anti-inflammatory in addition might help as well. Do you know the cause? I can't recall what brought it on when I had it a few months back.

I'm glad you enjoyed your 20-miler so much, Vege. Well done! I can't fathom running that far. Maybe someday I'll be able to.

To make my monthly mileage goal, I'd have to run 6 tonight and 13 on Saturday. Doesn't seem too far out of reach on paper, but at the moment I don't think I have the oomph to get it done. We'll see.  I had a twinge in my last mile last night - yes in the tibialis  - and it concerns me a bit.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Greetings all!  Just a quick post to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm a 36-yr old male, and have signed up for the Pensacola Half Marathon on Nov 11th.  This will be my first HM...I've never done any serious long-distance running, besides the cross-country team in high school.  Therefore, I'm definitely not setting any time goals, just aiming to finish and stay injury-free.  Did my first long run last weekend, a 6 miler, and felt pretty good during/afterwards.

Sorry my training log is pretty short, I just switched over from MapMyRun...the GPS tracking was horrendous on my cell phone, but it's much better with Handy Runner.  Looking forward to the next few weeks of training!

Cheech

<insert sig here>

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

VF, that can only be good if you can enjoy a 20 that much. I can't imagine! Smile Enjoy Florida! 

Simon, even with race magic, I can't imagine being able to do that quick a 5K. Your 10K is going to be fine! Smile

To make my monthly mileage goal, I'd have to run 6 tonight and 13 on Saturday. Doesn't seem too far out of reach on paper, but at the moment I don't think I have the oomph to get it done. We'll see.  I had a twinge in my last mile last night - yes in the tibialis  - and it concerns me a bit.

I like that I'm not the only one looking at the log and trying to figure out how to hit monthly mileage. I need to do a 4 on Friday, my 10k race on Saturday and a 4 on Sunday to keep my streak of 100 mile months. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Matt – I’ll echo Andy…no worries, just get out and run what you can run.

Andy – Sorry about your right wheel. Make a good choice about this weekend. There’s a lot of fall left to get more good running in. And thanks for the hat tip on the 2K – it’s pretty neat, and I’m now just waiting for the payoff at Baystate.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes