Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - March '08 (Read 627 times)

wbertha

Got in 90 for the month of February and am trying to start out March like a lion. Did 5 miles outside yesterday. it was cold but doable. Will see what today brings. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for starting March up. wbertha. 14.9 this morning. It was 30 degrees and sunny, but very windy. That made it hard to keep comfortable. Seemed like I was either too hot or too cold. I did accomplish my goal of hitting 40 miles for the week.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

WOW, 40 miles in one week. I had a bit of an off week and ended up with 20. Did 4 today on the treadmill and then some weights and core stuff. A good week for me is around 25. After that I just don't have time as I am very slow and need my day job. Plus after 25 mpw, my body starts to complain and I guess I would rather run less and run healthy. But I certainly admire your dedication. wbertha
          Nice and sunny for my first run in March, cut back my long run to 10 miles as still weak from the flu. Rest day tomorrow, then I hope to get back on track. 40 miles a week is a lot of running, good job MrPhin. I am planning more hills this month to strengthen my legs, and maybe get a balance thing for ankles.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

ohanapecosh

Despite the great weather, I was totally unmotivated today. I was supposed to do 11, but only did 8. My half is in mid-April, so I definitely need to focus and get in two good long runs over the next two weeks. I sprained my ankle last week, not a bad sprain, but it wasn't helping my motivation.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

wbertha, we were close in February - I did 88.7! Hoping for at least 100 in March. Yesterday, I did 7.5 miles on the TM, and today I did an easy 3.2, again on the TM. I can't wait until the roads are better so I can run outside! I DID see runners outside today, but I think they're crazy. Making cars move over on the roads that are narrow (because of snowbanks) seems foolhardy to me. Good running, everyone! Teresa
                Got outside and it was beautiful!!!!!!!!! 7.2 miles in local state park. It was 62 degrees!! Ran in shorts and long-sleeved tech shirt. My legs are winter white, scary. There were 7-8 men out ice-fishing in the middle of the lake! I thought they had to be nuts because the temp was so warm. My DH and I both have scratchy throats and kind of achy. Called the doc, waiting on RX for Tamiflu, hoping to avert a major illness. Good job everyone on their February totals. Still have my eye on my first HM in June. The 7.2 took 1:23:00 so I don't know if I should reset my goal for the HM to < 2:30="" or="" not!!="" the="" state="" park="" is="" really="" hilly="" and="" my="" hm="" drops="" 800="" feet="" over="" the="" first="" 10="" miles,="" finishing="" relatively="" flat.="" happy="" running="" to="" all.="" i="" think="" there="" is="" snow="" in="" the="" forecast="" for="" the="" rest="" of="" the="" week.="" />Sad
                Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for the compliments on the mileage. I wish I had the time 10-15 years ago to run that I do now. 6 easy this evening, with temps in the upper 50's.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Rest day for me today so after work I got a hair cut and did some shopping that I had managed to ignore all weekend. Needed the day off as I have done 3 runs in 3 days...but sadly only 12.5 miles. Really, really need to start working on that long run. Two weeks ago, I managed an 8 miler but this weekend only allowed a 5 miler. Gosh, but life gets in the way sometimes. Am going to really concentrate on my training for my May half in a week and a half as things should be settled down around here by then. I feel that I have a pretty decent base of miles that I've managed to maintain over the winter so I am hoping that 9 weeks will be enough. Any and all feed back appreciated. wbertha
                      Mr PH, I know what you mean about wishing you started a bit earlier in life! I left it till the age of 55, now I'm 57, and sure I would have improved more quickly if I had started 20 years earlier! Freezing rain last night left 1/2 inch of ice on my long driveway, not smooth glare ice, the pebbled texture like a curling rink. My neighbour across the road is a multi-time national champion at curling (Ed Werenich), I felt like calling him over to throw a couple of ends. Driving to work was interesting! Simon

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ringmaster

Marsha, 62, what great running weather! Wbertha, I think you're right, with good base mileage, I think nine weeks will be great to stretch out your long runs. I got in 7 on the TM yesterday and 4 really easy ones with the little one in the stroller today. Back of the right knee is sore, so I'm not pushing it. It was windy today and running with the stroller was like running with an open parachute. Sally, how was your race?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

Prince of Fatness

I wasn't going to start tempos until next week but .... 6 today in a cold, wind driven rain. I picked up the pace just to get done. Not quite down to tempo pace, but it was definitely quicker than easy, so we'll call it tempo.
                          Am going to really concentrate on my training for my May half in a week and a half as things should be settled down around here by then. I feel that I have a pretty decent base of miles that I've managed to maintain over the winter so I am hoping that 9 weeks will be enough. Any and all feed back appreciated.
                          I would build up your mileage and not worry about speed work. I think that gives you the best chance of getting to the starting line injury free as well as having an enjoyable race experience. Just steadily build your mileage 10% or so a week and you'll be OK.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

First, thanks for the comments and input. Not planning to do anything with speed. I am not even sure if I know the definition of "speed". But I do try to abide by the 10% rule or at least close to it. That coupled with listening to my body has allowed me to continue to plod along slowly. Did 3.5 miles tonight at the gym. First 2.5 miles were on the track followed by a sloooowww mile on the treadmill and then weights/core exercises. Am planning to try for 5 slow treadmill miles tomorrow night. wbertha

jules2

I just realised that I have no excuses on the 15th as the course I'm running is the one the world record was set on. Oddly they haven't mentioned me, it must be an oversight! Posted February 5th, 2008 at 4:00 PM by David Monti Section: News & Results, Marathons Organizers of the City-Pier-City Half-Marathon announced yesterday that three men who have broken 60 minutes for the half-marathon distance had agreed to run in their event in The Hagur on Saturday, March 15. It will be the 34th running of what could be called the world’s fastest half-marathon since the men’s world record of 58:33 was set there last year by Samuel Wanjiru of Kenya. The three men are Kenyans Patrick Makau and Francis Kibiwott, and Ethiopian Deribe Merga. Makau is the third fastest half-marathoner in history with a 58:56 personal best. He has recorded four sub-60:00 performances. Kibiwott has a 59:26 to his credit, while Merga has broken the one-hour barrier three times, with a best time of 59:16. The City-Pier-City Half-Marathon will also serve as the Dutch Half-Marathon Championships this year.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Ringmaster

Wow. And my goal is to break 60 minutes in a 10k. Ran 6 outside today while the kids were napping and was quickly--quickly, I say--reminded that the days of running outside after 10am are dwindling for those of us in the south--at least us wimpy ones. It was 80 degrees and absolutely grueling: very, very humid and just yuck. Barely made it through the run, but threw some quicker pace laps in there and persevered. Glad it's over! Jules, I know you'll do us proud on the 15th.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile