Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - August 2011 (Read 822 times)

• Week of 8/29: 14mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 4mi) then 9 mi Long
    • Week of 9/5: 15 mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 5mi) then 10mi Long
    • Week of 9/12: 15 mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 5mi) then 10mi Long (if you feel really good here do 11)
    • Week of 9/19: 15 mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 5mi) then 8mi Long
    • Week of 9/26: 11 mi Easy (5mi, 3mi, 3mi) then .... we race! :

Thanks Matt. This kind of looks like what I planned, but with a taper, which was my next question, now answered. I will give it my best. I'm wondering what it'll be like running long with Irene Sunday? I'm not on the coast but it could get interesting.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Keep in mind that the point of the long run is time on your feet and do what you can while staying safe!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

HappyFeat

A belated thanks for the input, Andy. I've modified my plan and we'll see where it takes me. And please - I'm an "older and slower jogger" than you, so let's not go there! I must admit I've never "trained" for a race other than, in the past, simply working up to the HM distance.Last year, I did this same race and was the cause of my own ruin by running a 10 miler the weekend prior to it at a too-fast pace, pulling a glute muscle - pure stupidity. I did OK (2:16), but had to run the last 3 miles slower due to glute muscle pain. I want to be smarter this time and have geared all my running for the last few months towards this goal. I had a great run today: 14 miles 10:40 avg pace; but I don't see how I can pull off a 2:10 HM time. I think I should stop focusing on that so much. In any case, I plan on doing that race test you suggested on 9/14 - really like that idea.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

As to running in TX; This summer has been the hottest on record (you picked a great time to come on down red!

Matt-

I misled you. I didn't actually run outdoors in Texas (Austin), I'm not that crazy. I simply realized how tough it might be, had I tried it. I ended up on the hotel treadmill, which is where I'll be again this week. It isn't a good sign when the weather says "record high temperatures expected."

Time to stop messing around. Yesterday's run was okay. Today's was fairly painful.

I think it's tendonitis (pain moves around top of foot, hurts not when I land but when I push off or lift up, stretching calf eases pain for a while), but my podiatrist/orhtopedist certificate hasn't come in the mail yet, so time to trust a pro. Made appointment with DPM for tomorrow morning. Looked him up, and he's a 20 min 5k guy, and run a bunch of triathalons to boot, so hopefully his first instinct won't be to shut me down.

We'll see...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Medical update.

Saw DPM today. X-ray doesn't show stress fracture, but...probably too early for one to show up on x-ray. Given the presentation and all the things leading up to it, his best guess is morton's neuroma (nerve impingement). But, advice is 1 week no running, come back, re-x-ray to rule out fracture, see where pain is, maybe a cortisone shot, and we'll work on addressing root cause (biomechanics, etc.). Based on shoe wear pattern, I excessively under pronate, and some recent PF/arch pain may have exaggerated that more, which may have tipped the neuroma.

I liked the doc, he's a runner, so was easy to relate to and he fully (I think) understood the situation.

Anyway, bottom line is, this sucks. I'll do elliptical/bike if there's no pain in the meantime. But frustrated because feel like I was well on the way to crushing this 90 min thing.

We'll see what happens on the other side of a week.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

That sucks Kevin - I like your new avatar though! Smile

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery in early September

MTA: Spelling

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

h2bubbles - Hoping you're sidelined for a very short time only. Great optimism to use the time for cross training. Don't forget some weights and core strengthening so you come back stronger than ever. Injuries suck.