Half Marathon Trainers

Higdon HM plan (Read 413 times)

Beware, batbear...

I'm wondering if anyone in here has tried the Hal Higdon training plan.  I'm planning on the intermediate plan as it offer plenty of rest and not very high mileage.  My goal with this plan is to get in shape to run 13.1 but not actually to race at the end of the 12 weeks. My goal race is actually in September, but I figure I'd try to get in shape with this plan and then look at 12 weeks or so out from my goal race to start a different plan to get in racing shape.  I'd love to PR in September (current HM PR is 1:54:25 on a very tough, hilly road course).

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Hi Josh

I have used higdon's Novice HM plans for my HMs to date. Stalking your log a little, you and I have a pretty similar profile. I am a few years older/inches taller/pounds heavier. But our PRs for the HM are pretty close.

I've got a HM in a few weeks time which I am pretty much winging on the back of last year's Marathon training but then will make my assulat on 1:50 at an April HM using a plan based on higdon's Intermediate HM plan - Training plan loaded to RA Here

Sofar Higdon's plans have got me through all my HMs and I just used his intermediate marathon plan to get me round my first marathon. 

I'll let you know how it goes but am expecting to be able to do something decent enough.

Cheers

MattJ

2017 Goals
      1) Run more than 231 miles
      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Beware, batbear...

How did you run the intervals in the HM plan? Mostly I'm wondering what you did for rest between the 400s.  Today, I ran 5 x 400 with walking rest for 200m in between each.  I didn't get a FULL recovery, but was able to maintain a pretty consistent pace by the watch:  1:51, 1:49, 1:54, 1:51, 1:52.  The 1:54 felt the best, and the McMillan Tempo Calculator says I should run btw 1:54 and 1:59 400s for training.  I'd rather be a smidge fast than slow though, but that may be a mistake on my part.

an amazing likeness

How did you run the intervals in the HM plan? Mostly I'm wondering what you did for rest between the 400s.  Today, I ran 5 x 400 with walking rest for 200m in between each. 

I would recommend you jog to the recoveries over walking them.  This keeps you in your running form/stride the whole time, and it will make you back down the pace on the intervals IF needed -- you don't want them to be at 5K effort or all out sprints.  Glide in and out of the intervals rather than stop/start.

Ideally, you'd want the intervals to have a stair-step progression of pace, using your times...something like 2:00, 1:55, 1:50, 1:50, 1:55.  Increasing as you warm up and adjust to the pace, then slowing as you fatigue.  If you can hold them all at the same pace, you can consider adding more intervals, or running them faster.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Have you considered a plan with a longer buildup-I don't mean in terms of distance but of periodization? I'm not sure what the point is of peaking if you're not going to race. Or, you could just race. While I think Jack Daniels' plans are needlessly complicated for 'the rest of us', his plans are well thought out and fit better with your timeline. It'd be easy to modify them with something simpler. Pete Pfitzinger's plans are also longer but sometimes his drive me nuts with inconsistency between what he writes and what he plans, though that could be addressed in later books.  His plans are simpler and include more rest. He also includes three plans for each type of race based on peak mileage. I can't remember if Daniels does the same. Both also include preplan base schedules.

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to reading running books, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I prefer the above plans, and the explanation behind them, to Higdon's.

(Daniels does not have a HM specific plan, or didn't  when I bought the book, but he describes what to do-basically modify the full marathon or 10k training based on expected finish time)

Beware, batbear...

To me, it doesn't really look like the Higdon plan is built to peak, but to get somebody to run 13 miles.  I may be wrong, but it looks to me like it's a pretty standard base building plan.  2-3 easy runs per week, one tempo/interval effort, one "long" run - though the long runs are pretty short.  I'm not looking to peak in 12 weeks, just be ready to run 13 miles again.  

an amazing likeness

To me, it doesn't really look like the Higdon plan is built to peak, but to get somebody to run 13 miles.  I may be wrong, but it looks to me like it's a pretty standard base building plan.  2-3 easy runs per week, one tempo/interval effort, one "long" run - though the long runs are pretty short.  I'm not looking to peak in 12 weeks, just be ready to run 13 miles again.  

Higdon's plans have a pretty good pattern to them. The core elements are 3 quality sessions per week and it is important that they get treated like 3 quality runs:

1. Long run on Sunday. This is setup with a mid-distance run on Saturday at race pace, making the miles on Sunday then start from a point of being fatigued, not fresh.
                2. Mid-week longer run on Tuesday
                3. Speed (intervals) or strength (hills) on Thursday

Mondays and Wednesday's easy miles fill in around these. The weeks then have a pattern of build, build, build, fall-back.

They are really versatile plans that you can tune and adjust as needed, but you want to keep the pattern.

(Actually, I use his pattern pretty much year-round.)

Beware, batbear...

Thanks, Milky!  That's a very clear and useful synopsis.  

an amazing likeness

I just had a few minutes to glance at the HH Intermediate half marathon plan.  The pattern in it is a bit different than in my post above..

Quality work 1: Sat + Sun still looked paired with Saturday @ pace and Sunday a longer run, or race.

Quality work 2: Wed which alternates between tempo and intervals.

Tuesday + Thursday is the easy to build mileage base.

Monday is x-train

Friday is rest.

Keep your focus on the pattern as you need to adjust and protect those quaility workouts, even if you move them to alternate days. Consider adding an easy run on Monday to add miles if you're feeling good.

Beware, batbear...

Thanks again, Milk.  I'm one of those that really works better with a clear plan and I flounder without one.  It's wonderful to have people really take a look and give feedback.  Honestly, thanks and blessings to you, your running, and everything...

Beware, batbear...

Oh, and huge hint on the value of "quality" workouts.  I think that is what has been missing from my training for over a year now.