Half Marathon Trainers

22 km road race (Read 739 times)

Lu481

Hi guys...

I've been building my mileage back up since my injury in March...  I've started adding a bit of hill work, intervals and tempo runs...  I ran my last 1/2 marathon in 1:57:16 before the injury and am not quite back up to where I was then as far as endurance and speed go, but slowly improving...

My original goal for this race when I signed up last Feb, was going to be sub 2:00 but I'm not ready for that yet...  The race is on Sep 26th, so I still have just over 6 weeks to go... 

Just wondering what everyone thinks would be a good goal time for me for this race...  22 km is about 13.6 miles...

Happy Running,

Lu

Lu, it's good to hear from you again, I remember the plane!

Odd distance for a race, and I expect you can estimate your finishing time better than I can, but how does 2:05 sound? Your tempo 10k was about 60 minutes, so that seems quite possible....

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Lu481

Thanks Simon,

Yes it's a odd distance for a race, but Melissa's Road Race in Banff Alberta is very popular.  This year it was somewhere between 2 and 4 hours after the online registration opened that it sold out.  This will be my first year running it.

I think 2:05 would be a good goal.  That's 9:09/mi which I should be able to do.  However with the last few runs I've done and the intensity I've put into them, and with only 5 1/2 weeks to train, I'm not sure I can manage that pace for 22km.  Since I haven't ran any other races since the injury, and this is supposed to be a fairly hilly course I think I'll aim for 2:10 for now which is somewhere around a 9:30/mi.  And we'll see if the next 5 weeks manage to make me go for the quicker time.  It's always hard to set a good goal, when you're not sure what you are capable of.

Lu

What is the altitude in Banff? i know it is in the Rockies, so this may be a factor, depending on where you live, and what altitude that is.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Lu481

Altitude...  Good Point....  I wasn't thinking about altitude. 

I just looked it up...  Banff is at 4800ft...  The 2 places I run the most are at 3100ft and 2182ft, both in Alberta.  The 6 mile run I did today (1:01) was a very hilly run which is around the 3100ft +/- altitude...

Maybe I should try for a 2:15:00 finish instead...  That's 9:53/mi pace...   Either that or I have a lot more hard training ahead of me and a short time to do it...  *smile*

fast momma!

SO DID YOU NEVER DO THE RACE, OR DID YOU JUST NOT PUT IT INTO YOUR LOG?  HOW DID YOU DO?

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

It is in her log (but its almost 2 years ago!)  Just over 2hr14.

Odd thread to bring up now?