Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Training - May (Read 634 times)

CORunner82

Sean - wow, great job on the PR!!! That is completely amazing. I agree it was a great day for running. And what a nice course.. I really enjoyed it. I finished in 2:45 which is about what I predicted for my first half. I had SO much fun... signed up for the RnR Denver half in October already. Smile
    "To know you are one with what you are doing, to know that you are a complete athlete, begins with believing you are a runner."

Wow choppersean three PR in a row!!!  You are unstoppable! 

CanadianMeg sorry to hear about you cough...it`s no fun running with a cold...I`ve have asthma and picked up three different colds since Christmas!!!

COrunner82 great time on your first HM!!

Well I have started my last week before my taper for my HM on May 30...starting to get nervous and excited!!!

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sean, you are a machine! Smile

Kathy, I hope your last week before taper gives you all kinds of confidence going into taper week.

Okay, I'm pathetic and need to ask a getting back to training question. So after hacking up a lung for two weeks, I'm trying to get back out there. It sucks. Feels like much longer than 2 weeks. Anyway, yesterday's run felt decent; I did 10:1 run: walk because I think right now I need the time on my feet. I'm very concerned about the 10K I'm supposed to run on the 30th. Training was going really well before I got sick; I was expecting a good race to take me into June when I'll start actually training towards my HM. So now I'm not sure how to prep for this 10K after having that unplanned sick time off. (I was in no shape to run.) I think I can get back to running 6 days a week. Should I just keep trying to stretch out the time on my feet in prep for this 10K?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Meg,

I'm pretty much a newbie, but my experience after a layoff has been a few runs where I can't believe how much fitness I lost in such a short time and then after a week or two having a great run seemingly out of nowhere.  I think you'll be back in form before you know it. Sorry I have nothing specific about preparing for the 10K.

I'm running my 2nd 1/2 tomorrow and was convinced I was going to do well until my run on Wednesday when for the first time in a year I had a side-stitch.  It was so painful I had to stop running and even now it doesn't feel quite right.

Not sure what is going on, but it certainly has done a number on my confidence.  In any event, I'll let you folks know how it goes.

Meg, I would not push too hard- 5 days a week sounds like plenty to me, especially as the weather is now getting hotter.

I would concentrate on building up your mileage and confidence without going too hard and injuring something.

There are always good days and bad days- it is a mistake to draw conclusions about your fitness even if you have 3 bad days in sequence, the 4th. could be great!

Good luck with your race Awaldvogel!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awaldvogel, I hope you are right. I'll be sending positive vibes for your half! Smile

Simon, thanks for your input. I'm happy to hear mileage is the right track. As for days, when I'm running 5 days-  one day off - into the 5 again, I do the majority of my runs early. Changing to running at 630 am is what got me running so many days a week. There's not much heat at the hour where I live.  But I know you are right; I need to listen to how I'm feeling and not get injured at this point.  

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Hey everyone! I'm new to the group and just thought that I'd speak up and introduce myself. I'm 23 years old I recently kicked a 7 year habit of smoking and over the last 2 weeks I've discovered some energy that I didn't really know that I had, so I started running. I'm starting off slow since my muscles haven't been used like this in a quite a while but its amazing the results I'm already seeing in 2 weeks! My goal for this summer is to run in a 5k next month, a couple 10ks (July/Aug), and a 1/2 in mid September.

Like I said I wanted to introduce myself and more over say "Hello everyone!"

-Chase

"We're still animals... and there's no reason for me not to be the fittest one"

Ran a 1:40:18 at the Brooklyn Half today, which I am very happy with. It's roughly an 8 minute PR.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Race report to follow on Monday.

Great run, Awaldvogel! That`s a pretty good chunk of time to take off.

Nice to meet you, Chase,we look forward to hearing regular progress reports.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome to the group, Chase! Smile

Way to go, Awaldvogel!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

What a fantastic time!

I'm running my first HM June 6th.  I ran 13 miles last Sunday and have been tapering this week, but wondering what I should do this weekend.  Should I ran a long run like maybe 8-9 miles or so?

INCG

an amazing likeness

Hard to offer good advice, INC, without seeing your running log's history.  My general recommendation would be to not back down too much this week, you can do that leg freshening late in the week by cutting back for a 2 - 3 days nearer your half.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hope you all had a great May - mixed bag for me.

Did not get the time I wanted in my 10k today but logged more miles more consistently than April.

Kathy - How did you get on yesterday??

... And Meg too, did you run that 10k?

Chase - Welcome!

Awaldvogel - You Rock, awesome time!

INCgirl - like Andy says, easier if you share your log, but I'd run 8-9 the weekend before a HM , what did you end up doing?

See you all in June....

2017 Goals
                            1) Run more than 231 miles
                            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I did run the 10K on Sunday. It was 4*C (39*F) with wind 35kph (21mph) which is technical for windy and cool. The race looped around the lake twice and across the bridge over the lake twice which made the wind really cold at that part. It wasn't a PR for me, but it was an 8 second better finish than my time in the same run last year so that is something. I think I'm in better shape now than I was last year and, although I felt undertrained  going out, I think my time would've been better if the wind had been less because that wind was really hard on my legs.

Now to figure out how to approach half training starting midmonth this month! (Hmmm, that reminds me, we need a June training thread if there isn't one.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

What a fantastic time!

INCgirl - like Andy says, easier if you share your log, but I'd run 8-9 the weekend before a HM , what did you end up doing?

See you all in June....

I ended up doing 7 miles, took Monday off and ran 3, 3, 4, this week, will rest tonight and stretch my legs tomorrow with a couple of miles. 

Thanks everyone.

INCG