Half Marathon Trainers

April brings better weather (Read 29 times)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sorry I was MIA but we spent the weekend in Orlando and had no time to post.  We did 8.25 on Saturday, I did 6 on Monday and I have 8-11 planned for today.

Tara, my next marathon is SF in July.  I cannot wait.  Are you excited?????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Got out for 6 with a running friend....poor guy (he's actually my DH's running buddy) had to listen to me ramble on about how damn nervous I am for this full marathon.....

So YES D_R - I am excited - but very nervous about the logistics of the race :-)

Ready, go.

redleaf

Love hearing about all the good runs!

I'm starting to get nervous for you Tara! hahaha

I ran a little shy of 6k yesterday (so about 3.5 miles). No pain or stiffness at all in the hamstring or knee but it was a bit sore afterwards. Today at physio she said that basically the muscles around the knee aren't strong enough for the running I've been doing (which is wonky 'cause I ran way more last year than this) but with the stretching and exercises I should be fine for the half. She says it's great that it doesn't hurt during but to be mindful about what could follow afterwards.

I'm definitely adding some strength training and yoga/stretching after I get back from DC.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

I did an easy 1.5 with the NOBO group last night and will head out here shortly for a few. I posted a double RR up in the sticky thread.

an amazing likeness

Take care of getting that hamstring better, Redleaf -- it's been nearly 18 months for me of nursing mine, and over in another group there's a bunch of us (old guys) who do nothing but complain about hamstring problems....so get ahead of it and don't skimp on the strength training.

You had quite the weekend, Hog4life -- race report(s) are a good read. Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine the run after the bike being anything but a battle to get legs back. Despite the temps and second-day challenge, you look pretty composed in all the photos!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Did 11 miles last night.  It was still 92F and 73 dewpoint (meaning close to 90% humidity) and it sucked.  At Mile 5 I went indoors and ran 1 mile on the TM waiting for the sun to calm down and then ran the last 5 with hubby.  All without missing a beat, LOL.

SRD from running today, so a bike ride with hubby tonight.

Tara, nice 6.  Logistics will work out, you'll see.

redleaf, nice on the run and the lack of hamstring issues.

Mitch, great RRs and great job!

milktruck, morning!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Never did my bike ride last night, so a full rest day.

16 miles this morning.  Hot and humid but they were done.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Some weeks ago I had self-diagnosed shin-splints and had pulled my groin. I thought nothing of the groin pull but was scared of the shin-splints. Turns out the shin-splints were nothing and I'm stuck with the groin issue. Stopped playing floor hockey as the fast changes in direction were hurting me. Now I just run, but when I do harder intervals, it's a bit hard on the groin. Grrrr.

I have two hard interval days left next week (monday and wednesday), and then10 days of taper before the 10k race which I plan on running rather hard on May 3rd. And after that I'll try just running easy for a little while to see if that fixes the groin.

Docket_Rocket

Hope it's nothing major, Cyberic!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Some weeks ago I had self-diagnosed shin-splints and had pulled my groin. I thought nothing of the groin pull but was scared of the shin-splints. Turns out the shin-splints were nothing and I'm stuck with the groin issue. Stopped playing floor hockey as the fast changes in direction were hurting me. Now I just run, but when I do harder intervals, it's a bit hard on the groin. Grrrr.

I have two hard interval days left next week (monday and wednesday), and then10 days of taper before the 10k race which I plan on running rather hard on May 3rd. And after that I'll try just running easy for a little while to see if that fixes the groin.

I had a hernia surgery, you know, down there in the groin area a few years ago. I noticed the same thing with speed work for a couple of months. Now granted, mine was for a reason, but I just wanted to add that I had to abandon the speed work for a while. To be honest, 2 more workouts will probably not change the outcome of your upcoming 10k. If you feel too much discomfort, I would stop and just do the easy miles.

Cyberic

Thanks Mitch. You're right. I have to remember that to make it to the starting line healthy with two speed session less under the belt is definitely better than to show up with a discomfort in that area.

But then, when I commit to something, I like to see it through, and I don't think two more speed sessions are going to aggravate the issue, maybe just delay the recovery. And a ten days taper sure sounds like a long enough time to recover.

Of course we can't compare, but I doubt my discomfort compares to what you had, surgery and all. When I'm warmed up (5-10 minutes of easy running) I feel 100%. It's later that day that I feel the groin, when I stand up after 2 hours of sitting at the office, and for the first 5-10 minutes of the next run.

So I'm pretty sure I'll stick to the original plan, do the intervals, and take it easy for a few weeks after the race. But I'll keep in mind what you said and if I feel I'm aggravating things, I'll just ditch the speed work.

Docket_Rocket

I agree with Mitch, Cyberic.  Although you believe the speed sessions might not injure you, the faster a person run, the higher the risk of injury, and two speed sessions will not make or break your plan.  Be careful!

Morning!  12 or 9 miles, depending on husband and the thunderstorms that has been coming down for hours.  Hope they are gone by tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

I concur - two weeks out nothing you do is really going to affect your overall fitness....getting there well rested and pain free is more important than the two speed workouts IMHO -

Tapering is the hardest week of training mentally for me.  It is just a crazy time  -- I feel like a caged animal - two more sleeps and I'll be at the starting line :-)

Hope everyone is getting in good miles and the weather is finally turning to spring.  So nice to see the sun.

Redleaf - glad you a re getting some miles in - strength and yoga sound good.

Ready, go.

hog4life

Tara, I wish you all the best at Boston. I can only dream of doing such a major event.

After a 12 hour night shift, I just rolled up 14.53 miles. I'm not sure how that will affect tonight, but my legs felt good, so I just kept going.

Beautiful spring run in New England this morning with great friends. Just over 6 miles to show off some beach area to a friend who flew in for Boston. She needed to run some slow miles to stay loose(Thank goodness they were slow as she would leave me in her dust)happy to say I kept up and felt awesome. She always gives me a little boost when I can run with her.

Tara weather is looking great for Boston Monday. I hope you have a great time and enjoy the experience. I will be listening at work and tracking some friends. Message me your full name I will add you to my list. Pretty cool app the BAA put out.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189