Half Marathon Trainers

Running in May (Read 20 times)

hog4life

Still no running yet this week after the 8k. I've been working some long hours, and just too tired when I get home. Maybe I'll get in a long run on Sat or Sun

erinr

Hope your race went well, ekat! It was a great early run, but I've only managed one early run. It's hard to change over.

Marylander, that sounds like a win. I'd love to have a race without those mental lapses.

Thanks! I actually ended up having to skip it because my dog had a seizure as we were getting ready to leave that morning  He's okay now, but it was pretty disconcerting (first time it's happened).  Time to look for another race...

hog4life

I did a 10 mile run this past Sunday, and surprisingly my pace was 9:30. My legs are still a bit sore, but I suppose I should expect that. I'm really hoping to increase my mileage just a bit for the fall halves.

We got some sad news today, I believe I mentioned this in the past, but if not and for the new folks, my FIL has been fighting kidney cancer for about 1.5 years now. They have tried a couple of different oral chemo meds, but they have not done any good. His cancer has continued to spread throughout his lymph system, and most recently moved into the bones. The doctors are sending him home with Hospice. They hope to make him comfortable and give him about 6 months. CANCER SUCKS!!!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That is awful, HL. My mom had cancer too. I hope hospice help is like the palliative care help we had. They were such good people. *hugs*

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

Thanks Meg! I keep hearing good things about Hospice, so that gives me a sense of comfort for my wife. I think all the preconceived thoughts were it was kind of ugly.

We have a small 5k in the morning pushing a couple of the kiddos.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I did a long run of 8.3 miles today and except for a bit of late run dehydration, it was pretty good. I'm struggling a bit with what to do in this transition period between my May01 race and starting half training for the next race in September. Mostly I want to maintain my long run in the 7.5 to 9 mile range. As far as my next training cycle,  I'd really really like to PR this fall and my last few halfs have not been great races for me. I'm starting from a different point going into training and I'm not totally sure what I need to do to maximize that.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Meg, when you say a different point going into the training, are you referring to your base, and current condition?

We are at the in-laws, Hospice came to visit this morning and made their initial assessment. The lady nurse was very straight forward and very professional which put everyone at ease. She said "it's my job to prepare you for what's ahead". I thought that was very nice way of putting it for a job that can be difficult. She said my FIL has no more than 2 weeks and will likely be sooner.

I brought my running garb with me, so with the news, I'm sure I'll be needing some alone time to process this. I'm thinking maybe a LR in the neighborhood of 15-20 miles. I know That sounds extreme, but watching my FIL die is extreme too.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Tough spot, HL! I'll be thinking of you and your family. There's something so surreal in having to let go of a parent even though we all know it will happen to all of us.

Different place.  Usually I run a 5k in January, a 10K in February and sometimes a Mother's Day 10k, then start training in mid-June for my Sept goal half. I usually dip in mileage over the winter to the 70-80 miles a month for November through Feb. This winter, my lowest month was December at 101 and I ran a spring half which I've never done. I didn't have a fantastic race, but it was a learning thing for me. There are some things easier in summer training than spring training when there is mud. Now I'm going into half training in June with likely a better base than I've ever had. I am sure I could do a 10mi long run this weekend and be fine. I think my spring half training was missing that Thursday/mid week run in the mid-distance (6-7 miles). I did use that a couple of years ago in training and it worked fairly well. Does that make sense?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

redleaf

Meg, when you say a different point going into the training, are you referring to your base, and current condition?

We are at the in-laws, Hospice came to visit this morning and made their initial assessment. The lady nurse was very straight forward and very professional which put everyone at ease. She said "it's my job to prepare you for what's ahead". I thought that was very nice way of putting it for a job that can be difficult. She said my FIL has no more than 2 weeks and will likely be sooner.

I brought my running garb with me, so with the news, I'm sure I'll be needing some alone time to process this. I'm thinking maybe a LR in the neighborhood of 15-20 miles. I know That sounds extreme, but watching my FIL die is extreme too.

Oh gosh. I've been awol lately but read this and wanted to send you lots of hugs. My mom, a registered nurse, used to volunteer doing hospice care. I hope that the people who will be there will be there for all of you. Sending much love.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362